DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   80 year old House- question about large bow window- large windowsill-4 feet wide on inside.. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/337502-80-year-old-house-question-about-large-bow-window-large-windowsill-4-feet-wide-inside.html)

KOS March 19th 12 12:21 AM

80 year old House- question about large bow window- large windowsill-4 feet wide on inside..

Hi,
Ive got an old house... with a large bow window.. On the inside I have a long window sill that hugs the bow window- it is long and wide- approx 4 feet wide... I am painting the sill and window but noticed some holes on ths sill maybe 5 holes.. Was these a reson for these holes? some type of ventilation? They are the size of a screw? I was just wondering if this was standard practice for older homes- that is to drill hole in the sill??
Thanks
KOS

harryagain March 19th 12 08:34 AM

"KOS" wrote in message
Hi,
Ive got an old house... with a large bow window.. On the inside I have a
long window sill that hugs the bow window- it is long and wide- approx 4
feet wide... I am painting the sill and window but noticed some holes on ths
sill maybe 5 holes.. Was these a reson for these holes? some type of
ventilation? They are the size of a screw? I was just wondering if this was
standard practice for older homes- that is to drill hole in the sill??
Thanks
KOS

Not enough information.
Need to know construction and materials stuff is made from and where the
holes are.
Ideally, a picture

KOS March 19th 12 12:02 PM

On Monday, March 19, 2012 4:34:41 AM UTC-4, harry wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message
Hi,
Ive got an old house... with a large bow window.. On the inside I have a
long window sill that hugs the bow window- it is long and wide- approx 4
feet wide... I am painting the sill and window but noticed some holes on ths
sill maybe 5 holes.. Was these a reson for these holes? some type of
ventilation? They are the size of a screw? I was just wondering if this was
standard practice for older homes- that is to drill hole in the sill??
Thanks
KOS

Not enough information.
Need to know construction and materials stuff is made from and where the
holes are.
Ideally, a picture

the window sill is made out of wood... this is a sill land the bow window is next to it, part of window setup

Tegger[_3_] March 19th 12 03:04 PM

80 year old House- question about large bow window- large window sill-4 feet wide on inside..

KOS wrote in

Hi,
Ive got an old house... with a large bow window.. On the inside I have
a long window sill that hugs the bow window- it is long and wide-
approx 4 feet wide... I am painting the sill and window but noticed
some holes on ths sill maybe 5 holes.. Was these a reson for these
holes? some type of ventilation? They are the size of a screw? I was
just wondering if this was standard practice for older homes- that is
to drill hole in the sill?? Thanks
KOS

The house is 80-years-old. Maybe somebody had something attached to the
sill at one time, like a shelf for flowers or something.

--
Tegger

TWayne March 19th 12 03:51 PM

80 year old House- question about large bow window- large window sill-4 feet wide on inside..

In ,
Tegger typed:
KOS wrote in

Hi,
Ive got an old house... with a large bow window.. On the
inside I have a long window sill that hugs the bow
window- it is long and wide- approx 4 feet wide... I am
painting the sill and window but noticed some holes on
ths sill maybe 5 holes.. Was these a reson for these
holes? some type of ventilation? They are the size of a
screw? I was just wondering if this was standard
practice for older homes- that is to drill hole in the
sill?? Thanks
KOS

Is it just that one window in the en tire house? Lots of 80+ year old homes
around here and I've never heard of holes in the inside. Between windows
yes, but not indoors.

Sonny March 19th 12 05:59 PM

80 year old House- question about large bow window- large windowsill-4 feet wide on inside..

Screw size holes wouldn't be for ventilation in that size surface,
IMO. With a house that old, there would likely be plenty of
"ventilation" elsewhere, especially around an old window.

There may have been some additional/temporary framework, added onto
the interior, to put some sort of shielding against a draft coming
through the window unit. Is there evidence of other screw holes along
the sides and top, maybe, to indicate something was attached there, as
well?

As someone said, there isn't enough info for us to speculate or reason
more so.

[email protected] March 20th 12 05:48 AM

80 year old House- question about large bow window- large window sill-4 feet wide on inside..

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 17:21:12 -0700 (PDT), KOS
wrote:

Hi,
Ive got an old house... with a large bow window.. On the inside I have a long window sill

that hugs the bow window- it is long and wide- approx 4 feet wide... I
am painting the sill and window but noticed some holes on ths sill maybe
5 holes.. Was these a reson for these holes? some type of ventilation?
They are the size of a screw? I was just wondering if this was standard
practice for older homes- that is to drill hole in the sill??
Thanks
KOS

The former owner was single and needed sex!!!

KOS March 27th 12 12:23 AM

On Monday, March 19, 2012 1:59:45 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
Screw size holes wouldn't be for ventilation in that size surface,
IMO. With a house that old, there would likely be plenty of
"ventilation" elsewhere, especially around an old window.

There may have been some additional/temporary framework, added onto
the interior, to put some sort of shielding against a draft coming
through the window unit. Is there evidence of other screw holes along
the sides and top, maybe, to indicate something was attached there, as
well?

As someone said, there isn't enough info for us to speculate or reason
more so.

roger that, thanks for the info, im just going to patch them and paint the thing