DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ceiling fan with light (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/336527-ceiling-fan-light.html)

Doug[_14_] February 29th 12 01:25 AM

Ceiling fan with light

I have a ceiling fan with a light that has 2 separate wall switches
.... one works the fan (on/off) and the other works the lights
(on/off). There are no other switches. Well there is a draw string
you can pull on, that only works the fan speeds.

I presume these wall switches are each just 2 way switches? I ask
because I may want to put a timer on just the light switch without
affecting the fan switch. Am I correct?

Erik[_5_] February 29th 12 03:14 AM

Ceiling fan with light

In article ,
"Doug" wrote:

I have a ceiling fan with a light that has 2 separate wall switches
... one works the fan (on/off) and the other works the lights
(on/off). There are no other switches. Well there is a draw string
you can pull on, that only works the fan speeds.

I presume these wall switches are each just 2 way switches? I ask
because I may want to put a timer on just the light switch without
affecting the fan switch. Am I correct?

Probably just a 2 way, but take off the wall plate and have a look to be
sure.

Erik

Stormin Mormon[_7_] February 29th 12 03:17 AM

Ceiling fan with light

I'd guess the switches are one way. Single pole, single throw.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

RBM[_3_] February 29th 12 03:26 AM

Ceiling fan with light

On 2/28/2012 8:25 PM, Doug wrote:
I have a ceiling fan with a light that has 2 separate wall switches
... one works the fan (on/off) and the other works the lights
(on/off). There are no other switches. Well there is a draw string
you can pull on, that only works the fan speeds.

I presume these wall switches are each just 2 way switches? I ask
because I may want to put a timer on just the light switch without
affecting the fan switch. Am I correct?

They are called single pole, and yes you can replace the switch with a timer

John Carter February 29th 12 03:33 AM

Ceiling fan with light

"Doug" wrote in
:

I have a ceiling fan with a light that has 2 separate wall switches
... one works the fan (on/off) and the other works the lights
(on/off). There are no other switches. Well there is a draw string
you can pull on, that only works the fan speeds.

I presume these wall switches are each just 2 way switches? I ask
because I may want to put a timer on just the light switch without
affecting the fan switch. Am I correct?

When we built this house, the electrician set up each room in a similar
manner. Don't know what type switches, but it was and is still
confusing. All the fans have a remote control for both the light and
fan, so we ended up keeping both wall switches on all the time and used
the remote to turn light and fan on/off as well as dim the light and
change fan speed - whichis basically whay I told him I wanted
initially.

Doug[_14_] February 29th 12 04:44 AM

Ceiling fan with light

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 19:25:32 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

I have a ceiling fan with a light that has 2 separate wall switches
... one works the fan (on/off) and the other works the lights
(on/off). There are no other switches. Well there is a draw string
you can pull on, that only works the fan speeds.

I presume these wall switches are each just 2 way switches? I ask
because I may want to put a timer on just the light switch without
affecting the fan switch. Am I correct?

Thanks all for the help and correcting me !!!!

Hot-Text February 29th 12 09:55 PM

Ceiling fan with light

"Doug" wrote in message ...
I have a ceiling fan with a light that has 2 separate wall switches
... one works the fan (on/off) and the other works the lights
(on/off). There are no other switches. Well there is a draw string
you can pull on, that only works the fan speeds.

I presume these wall switches are each just 2 way switches? I ask
because I may want to put a timer on just the light switch without
affecting the fan switch. Am I correct?

Yes you can if you have 3 wires..
But you have to know how to do it,

--