DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to make a weed eater drive shaft? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/335233-how-make-weed-eater-drive-shaft.html)

John Doe February 3rd 12 04:37 PM

How to make a weed eater drive shaft?

Anybody have a link to a picture or video/whatever that shows what
a weedeater drive shaft looks like on the inside? I think they
spin at thousands of RPM, so maybe they have bearings inside to
keep the drive shaft from slapping against the outer tubing? And
what is the drive shaft usually made out of?

Thanks.

--
Please feel free to delete the other group(s).

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 3rd 12 04:42 PM

How to make a weed eater drive shaft?

"John Doe" wrote in message
eb.com...
Anybody have a link to a picture or video/whatever that shows what
a weedeater drive shaft looks like on the inside? I think they
spin at thousands of RPM, so maybe they have bearings inside to
keep the drive shaft from slapping against the outer tubing? And
what is the drive shaft usually made out of?

Thanks.

They are like heavy speedometer cables, and need to be pulled out and lubed
periodically.

Steve W.[_4_] February 3rd 12 06:50 PM

John Doe wrote:
Anybody have a link to a picture or video/whatever that shows what
a weedeater drive shaft looks like on the inside? I think they
spin at thousands of RPM, so maybe they have bearings inside to
keep the drive shaft from slapping against the outer tubing? And
what is the drive shaft usually made out of?

Thanks.

The straight shaft ones usually have a simple solid piece of 1/4 or 3/8
stock from the clutch doen to the head. In the middle is usually a
simple bearing that is a slip fit down the tube.

Curved shaft ones use 1/4" flex cable that looks like speedo cable.

--
Steve W.

DD_BobK February 4th 12 03:00 AM

On Feb 3, 8:37*am, John Doe wrote:
Anybody have a link to a picture or video/whatever that shows what
a weedeater drive shaft looks like on the inside? I think they
spin at thousands of RPM, so maybe they have bearings inside to
keep the drive shaft from slapping against the outer tubing? And
what is the drive shaft usually made out of?

Thanks.

--
Please feel free to delete the other group(s).

Here is some info on flexible shafts....

http://www.sswt.com/flexible-shaft.htm

& some images

https://www.google.com/search?q=flex...w=1193&bih=541