DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sisterin' them joists project update (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/334967-sisterin-them-joists-project-update.html)

Steve Barker[_6_] January 29th 12 12:36 AM

Sisterin' them joists project update

Just wanted to thank ALL who responded to my joist sistering question.
I have finished the project as of an hour or so ago. I used 2x8x16 DF,
loctite 400 adhesive, and ledger LOC screws. I drove them in with my
hugeantic Milwaukee right angle drill until the new Dewalt impact showed
up in the mail this am. I put 1/4" washers on them, as they were being
pulled into the DF excessively without them. I was able to jack each
original joist up at least an inch before attaching the new sister. As a
matter of fact the floor was so bowed, I couldn't get the sisters in
position up on the ledger boards until i did jack the original up. The
final result is a MUCH improved bounce situation upstairs now. I'm
happy with the result.
--
Steve Barker

Sonny January 29th 12 12:44 AM

Sisterin' them joists project update

^5. So, now, you'll brush-paint in between the joists? LOL.

Sonny

Ed Pawlowski January 29th 12 04:01 AM

Sisterin' them joists project update

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 18:36:33 -0600, Steve Barker
wrote:

Just wanted to thank ALL who responded to my joist sistering question.
I have finished the project as of an hour or so ago. I used 2x8x16 DF,
loctite 400 adhesive, and ledger LOC screws. I drove them in with my
hugeantic Milwaukee right angle drill until the new Dewalt impact showed
up in the mail this am. I put 1/4" washers on them, as they were being
pulled into the DF excessively without them. I was able to jack each
original joist up at least an inch before attaching the new sister. As a
matter of fact the floor was so bowed, I couldn't get the sisters in
position up on the ledger boards until i did jack the original up. The
final result is a MUCH improved bounce situation upstairs now. I'm
happy with the result.

An inch is a lot. Maybe it would have been easier to get shoes with a
wedge in them to match the pitch in the floor. Thanks for the
update.