Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

Default 3-in-1 oil in an electric motor

With today being very cold and the furnace about to run a lot, I realized that
the electric motor that runs the burner in my oil furnace hadn't been oiled in
a year. I remember in years past having asked the furnace-maintenance guy if
it was okay to use 3-in-1 Multipurpose Household oil in the burner's oil cup.
He'd said it was okay. So that's what I put in, about 8 drops. (The can must
be 10 years old so any volatile ingredients might have evaporated.)

Then I did some online research and have read that is not okay to use that. So
I went to Lowes and got 3-in-1 Motor Oil SAE 20. Can I put that in to flush
out the Household oil with the penetrant that's in the Household oil? Is this
a big problem, or am I worried for nothing?

Is it possible to put too much oil into that hole for the oil cup and cause
damage somehow?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2012 6:07 PM, Ed wrote:
With today being very cold and the furnace about to run a lot, I realized that
the electric motor that runs the burner in my oil furnace hadn't been oiled in
a year. I remember in years past having asked the furnace-maintenance guy if
it was okay to use 3-in-1 Multipurpose Household oil in the burner's oil cup.
He'd said it was okay. So that's what I put in, about 8 drops. (The can must
be 10 years old so any volatile ingredients might have evaporated.)

Then I did some online research and have read that is not okay to use that. So
I went to Lowes and got 3-in-1 Motor Oil SAE 20. Can I put that in to flush
out the Household oil with the penetrant that's in the Household oil? Is this
a big problem, or am I worried for nothing?

Is it possible to put too much oil into that hole for the oil cup and cause
damage somehow?

I'd go ahead and add the SAE 20. I can't think of how too much could do
any harm except that it could find it's way to the vanes of the blower
and that would make it a dust magnet. So wait until spring and remove
and clean the whole blower, it's probably long overdue anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 7:02*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 1/3/2012 6:07 PM, Ed wrote:

[...]

Oil cup on a furnace? I haven't seen one of those in
decades. If it's as old as I think it is I'd forget about
what kind of oil to use and start looking at how much
a new one will save in heating costs, payback time,
etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The problem with three in one is that it dries up, and gets sticky. I've had
that happen on fans. Yes, I'd try a couple drops of ND-20 or ND-30. Won't
flush the three in one out, but might help.

About 1990 or so, long before I got my start in the HVAC trade. The blower
on my furnace started howling. It was bedtime, and I didn't think I wanted
to call HVAC tech, figured it would be expensive. Found the oil ports for
the motor, and forced in some oil that I had. I think I used 10w30, which is
the wrong stuff. But, it got me by for a while. Now, I've got the "right
oil" available.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

a big problem, or am I worried for nothing?

Is it possible to put too much oil into that hole for the oil cup and cause
damage somehow?

i seriously doubt any oil used really matters in a motor thats old
enough to need oiling.......

i have used 10 w 30 om some machine motors in the past none ever
failed, with or without oiling........

old stuff was designed so well much didnt matter

now stuff is designed so cheap it cant even be oiled......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 06:13:45 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

a big problem, or am I worried for nothing?

Is it possible to put too much oil into that hole for the oil cup and cause
damage somehow?

i seriously doubt any oil used really matters in a motor thats old
enough to need oiling.......

i have used 10 w 30 om some machine motors in the past none ever
failed, with or without oiling........

old stuff was designed so well much didnt matter

now stuff is designed so cheap it cant even be oiled......

I have drilled a few end caps to allow a telespout oiler to relube the
pads. Oreilly auto did stock 20wND oil.
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

I do belive the older motors did need oiling. At least, the ones I've worked
on did. Drilling your own oil holes is (I think) a good idea. If you don't
get metal chips in there.

Farm supply places, they might have grease gun tips with a syring needle. So
you can inject some grease into CV joints. Or, on the farm, the permanant
lube joints on farm equipment. That are not made to be greasable, but
totally expensive and labor consuming to replace.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Mr.E" wrote in message

old stuff was designed so well much didnt matter

now stuff is designed so cheap it cant even be oiled......

I have drilled a few end caps to allow a telespout oiler to relube the
pads. Oreilly auto did stock 20wND oil.
--
Mr.E

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2012 12:54 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 05:52:25 -0500, Ed wrote:

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 23:43:13 -0600,
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 18:07:57 -0500, wrote:

Personally, I think 3-in-1 Multipurpose Household oil is an expensive
way to oil things. Buy a pump oiler can, get a quart of non-detergent
straight weight SAE 20 oil, and use that in the future.

Many years ago, I'd have agreed with you. Seems like everything today
is electronic or has sealed bearings. I cannot think of a single
thing that I've oiled in years. I have a little can of some kind of
multi-purpose oil and I bet it is 30 years old.

I have a spray can of Big 90 that I've had for many years and I've
used it on a hinge or two. Last pump oil can I bought was 45 years
ago and I have no idea where it disappeared to.

As a farmer, I am constantly oiling and greasing stuff. Lots of larger
motors on farm machinery need to be oiled. "Sealed bearings" is just
another way to say "disposible motor". When the bearings seize up,
you toss the motor, spend a couple hundred bucks for a new one and
more if you need an installerm V/S spending 5 minutes and 5 cents
worth of oil every year. I have machinery motors that date back to
the 1950's and 60's that still work fine, but I need to oil then
yearly. But we live in a disposible society and most people would
rather help fill up a garbage dump and spend a large sum of money
every 5 years, than spend any time oiling a motor. For me, when I had
a furnace that needed oil on motors (and most forced air blower
bearings still require oil),, I just did it in fall when I changed the
furnace filter the first time before winter. At the same time I would
oil every other motor, door hinges and whatever needed it in the
house. A half hour of time at most was needed to do all that stuff. A
pump oiler can is always available.

Um, where are the grease fittings located on your average cow? ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They get "Bag Balm" grease on their teats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You sound like an old man who has gained a lot of wisdom. What kind of oil
do you use? ND30, or what?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shoulders, knees, other rotating joints. Silly!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

As a farmer, I am constantly oiling and greasing stuff. Lots of larger
motors on farm machinery need to be oiled. "Sealed bearings" is just
another way to say "disposible motor". When the bearings seize up,

Um, where are the grease fittings located on your average cow? ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Helps em slide from stall to pasture? Makes em moooove easier?

Keep em from watching TV, or they will go liberal, and joine MOOOVE on dot
org. You know how cows love Obamoooooo.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message
house. A half hour of time at most was needed to do all that stuff. A
pump oiler can is always available.

Um, where are the grease fittings located on your average cow? ^_^

TDD

They get "Bag Balm" grease on their teats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed wrote:
With today being very cold and the furnace about to run a lot, I realized that
the electric motor that runs the burner in my oil furnace hadn't been oiled in
a year. I remember in years past having asked the furnace-maintenance guy if
it was okay to use 3-in-1 Multipurpose Household oil in the burner's oil cup.
He'd said it was okay. So that's what I put in, about 8 drops. (The can must
be 10 years old so any volatile ingredients might have evaporated.)

Then I did some online research and have read that is not okay to use that. So
I went to Lowes and got 3-in-1 Motor Oil SAE 20. Can I put that in to flush
out the Household oil with the penetrant that's in the Household oil? Is this
a big problem, or am I worried for nothing?

Is it possible to put too much oil into that hole for the oil cup and cause
damage somehow?

Sae 30 would probably be better. I have been using this oiler for years.
It's got a telescoping tube that you can squirt up, or down, depending on
how you stretch the tube. I should order new stock, and use sae 30 .

http://www.altex.com/GC-Telescoping-...0-P141837.aspx

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Just below the tail - but the grease comes OUT.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 18:55:06 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You sound like an old man who has gained a lot of wisdom. What kind of oil
do you use? ND30, or what?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Non Detergent is really not a "requirement" - don't think a normal
ball or sleeve bearing cares one way or the other.

Same for multigrade - a straight grade oil MAY stand up a bit better -
but I doubt the difference would be noticeable, personally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 00:51:32 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Ed wrote:
[...]

Personally, I just use the white multi-hydraulic fluid that I also
use in the gearbox of my Myford
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 09:59:50 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

wrote

Um, where are the grease fittings located on your average cow? ^_^

TDD

Just below the tail - but the grease comes OUT.

Sounds to me like your dipstick has fallen out of the filler tube, and it's
coming out the overflow.

Steve

You've obviosly never been "greased" by a cow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Most new genetically modified tractors have tiny, tiny little teats. Almost
can't find them.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I grew up on a farm too but we had no cows just tractors and I could
never get milk to come out of the tractors, perhaps they were all male?
^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

3-IN-ONE Oil is SAE20 grade is it not ???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/19 7:45 PM, wrote:
3-IN-ONE Oil is SAE20 grade is it not ???

If you get the "Motor Oil" version, yes

https://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 16:45:20 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

3-IN-ONE Oil is SAE20 grade is it not ???

Depends WHICH 3 in 1

Horsepower of electric motor V/S Size of motor [email protected] Home Repair 17 December 3rd 11 11:23 AM
Help electric motor Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 4 July 3rd 09 06:39 PM
WTB electric motor [email protected] Metalworking 2 January 14th 09 05:49 AM
Electric motor Oren Home Repair 12 November 2nd 07 02:46 AM
electric motor help William Wixon Metalworking 9 February 24th 06 05:50 AM