Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how on earth do I remove this screwless glass ceiling light dome?

Hi,

Got quite a problem here because I'm moving out of my dorm in 2 days'
time, and I need to change my ceiling light bulb before then
(otherwise they'll impose some ridiculous penalty charge on me).

Anyways, here's how my domed ceiling lamp looks like:
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2015/lampfv.jpg

As you can see, there are no screws whatsoever. I've googled quite a
few places, and tried some of the proposed solutions such as:
1) Twisting the dome (with my hands)
2) Pushing up on the dome, then twisting it, or rocking it like crazy
while twisting it with maximum strength
3) Pulling it down (although this is not quite possible since there is
nowhere to hold the dome)

Nothing worked.
I don't have any tools with me, and it'll be hard to find one at short
notice.

Anyone has any other good ideas?
Thanks so much for looking!

Eric
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/13/2011 9:22 AM, eric wrote:

Got quite a problem here because I'm moving out of my dorm in 2 days'
time, and I need to change my ceiling light bulb before then
(otherwise they'll impose some ridiculous penalty charge on me).

Surely there's a dorm resident or other person in campus housing that
can answer the question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"eric" wrote in message

Got quite a problem here because I'm moving out of my dorm in 2 days'
time, and I need to change my ceiling light bulb before then
(otherwise they'll impose some ridiculous penalty charge on me).

Anyways, here's how my domed ceiling lamp looks like:
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2015/lampfv.jpg

As you can see, there are no screws whatsoever. I've googled quite a
few places, and tried some of the proposed solutions such as:
1) Twisting the dome (with my hands)
2) Pushing up on the dome, then twisting it, or rocking it like crazy
while twisting it with maximum strength
3) Pulling it down (although this is not quite possible since there is
nowhere to hold the dome)

Nothing worked.

1. This seems a bit silly. We should expect the person who tells
you of the penalty also to tell you how to replace the bulb.
2. Inventory of trials omits trying to rotate the ring (collar) that
holds the dome, in case the whole cover comes off like
some smoke alarms.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 10:22*am, eric wrote:
[...]

"Got quite a problem here"

I think that as you gain more life experience, you'll find that not
being able to change a light bulb doesn't really count as "quite a
problem", but for now, I guess that's OK.

Having 2 kids in college, I seriously doubt that a burnt out bulb in a
ceiling fixture is cause for a penalty. In fact, I would not expect
the student to be responsible for either the purchase of nor
installation of the bulb. I would lean towards it being a safety/
liability issue where they would *not* want you accessing an
electrical fixture belonging to the facility. Think about falls from
ladders/chairs and/or electrocution due to a faulty fixture or user
error.

That said, I can not see the image due to restrictions on my corporate
machine, but I'm not sure that it matters. If you say there are no
screws, I believe you.

My best un-seeing guess is based on other screwless globes that I've
seen.

There are often very wide threads on the globe that screw into the
fixture. Due to heat, moisture, texture of surfaces, etc. these
threads can often bind in such a way that they are difficult to
unscrew. It may be so tight that you wouldn't even know that it could
be unscrewed.

If that's the case, I would once again point towards the dangers of
doing it yourself. If you apply too much pressure, you could crack the
globe and cut yourself. I seriously think that this is a building
maintenance issue and should be covered in your room and board.

Of course, if you or a roommate had previously removed the globe and
installed a non-standard bulb (e.g. a blue one) and that is the real
reason that you need to change the bulb, then I wish you luck...but be
careful!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:22:33 AM UTC-7, eric wrote:
[...]

Ask the janitor or maintenance engineer in charge of dorm upkeep. He/she will know how to remove the bulb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I did look at the photo, and nothing comes to mind. Only coarse threads, and
turn the white ring counter clockwise.

As the others have suggested (which also came to my mind) to ask your
neighbor students, and try to find the custodian. Custodians often will work
for appreciation, food, home made cookies, etc.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"eric" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"eric" wrote in message
[...]

You may have a spring-loaded ring holding the glass.

Alternately, call the maintenance people for the dorm and ask them how to
replace the bulb

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would guess that the metal collar unscrews or unclips somehow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smash the dome and replace bulb.

"Dome? What dome?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

eric writes:

[...]

Does the glass move even a little side to side?
If so push to the side and see if it gets enough clearance to drop out.
Try a few directions to push.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's possible that the fixture is purposely made to not be opened by
students/tenants/office workers. The intent would be to keep people
from stealing bulbs, making dangerous extension cord hookups, or
swapping in higher wattage bulbs, etc.

Kind of like the restroom panels/fixtures with "one-way" screw heads etc.

As others have said, bulbs should a building maintenance issue anyway,
unless you have dorm rules to the contrary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 3:35*pm, Reed wrote:
It's possible that the fixture is purposely made to not be opened by
students/tenants/office workers. The intent would be to keep people
from stealing bulbs, making dangerous extension cord hookups, or
swapping in higher wattage bulbs, etc.

Kind of like the restroom panels/fixtures with "one-way" screw heads etc.

As others have said, bulbs should a building maintenance issue anyway,
unless you have dorm rules to the contrary.

Speaking of college dorms and dangerous extension cords hookups, both
of my daughter's colleges have this rule:

They can not use extension cords or power strips unless they have a
switch.

They can put a $2.00 power strip in the most inaccessible place
imaginable, like behind the mini fridge that's jammed under their bed,
and they can plug that 15 YO energy hog of a mini fridge, the TV, 2
lamps and a curling iron into it, but dammit, that power strip better
have a switch or the school can confiscate it.

Strange.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"eric" wrote in message
Hi,

Got quite a problem here because I'm moving out of my dorm in 2
days'
time, and I need to change my ceiling light bulb before then
(otherwise they'll impose some ridiculous penalty charge on me).

Anyways, here's how my domed ceiling lamp looks like:
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2015/lampfv.jpg

Try twisting the entire fixture clockwise or counter-clockwise like
some smoke detectors are removed.

Q. How many alt.home.repair experts does it take to change a light
bulb?
A. 11 and counting...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 07:22:33 -0800 (PST), eric
wrote:

[...]

Fall over in the dark. Bruise your toe.

Complain of the unsafe conditions. Threaten to sue.
Lie back and wait for the man with a ladder and a screwdriver to
arrive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 9:22*am, eric wrote:
[...]

I have that exact same fixture in my bathroom, push the translucent
plastic up a little and then bend it so that it will come down out of
the fixture. Just go slowly. Or call the mtc person for your dorm as
others have suggested.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2011 10:22 AM, eric wrote:
[...]

Typically a fixture like that, with no obvious attachment would be a
counter clockwise turn on either the glass or the collar to remove it
for relamping. It is entirely possible especially being in a dorm room,
that it is a tamper resistant fixture designed to prevent students from
gaining access.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're an idiot. And this belongs on alt.lite.bulb.
Oh, nearly forgot the obiligatory exclaimation points!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Have a few spares.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bill" wrote in message

Q. How many alt.home.repair experts does it take to change a light
bulb?
A. 11 and counting...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Most likely you push up and twist counterclockwise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

eric wrote:
[...]

What did you say your major is ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mr. Austerity" "PrintMo.Money " wrote in message
eric wrote:
[...]

Q: How many college pukes does it take to change a light
bulb?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nymshifter" wrote in
:

eric wrote:
[...]

25 to analyze it, and one underpaid tech to execute.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 10:22*am, eric wrote:
[...]

*EPIC FAIL*

Is there some reason why you did not report the burnt out lamp
to the facilities department at your college/university when the
lamp ceased functioning ?

Even if you somehow figure out how to open that fixture, you will
not have a lamp available to you which will fit the base you will
find inside of it -- that fixture will have some sort of keyed/pinned
commercial grade CFL inside of it, not a standard lamp socket...

If some fine were to be imposed on you it is justified, you should
have reported the non-functional light when it stopped working so
it could be repaired in a timely manner rather than as a rush job
during the holiday break so it is ready for the next occupant of
that dorm room...

The college can not expect nor demand that you supply special
light bulbs for its installed fixtures which are not your property...
If the light fixture is undamaged you can not be legally charged
because the lamp is burnt out, that is normal wear and tear and
lamps do not last forever...

Definitely leave it alone and do not try to open it/tamper with it
in any way, just report it to the person who does your check out
that it recently stopped working but you were so busy packing
to leave that making a maintenance request just slipped your
mind...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know, it's never been done.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nymshifter" wrote in message

What did you say your major is ?

Q: How many college pukes does it take to change a light
bulb?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm with the group thats says: Do you know for an absolute fact, not that
Skunky Beaumont down the hall told you, that you will be charged for a blown
out light bulb that can't be accessed without a ladder, knowledge of how to
open it and possibly a special lamp?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2011 4:39 PM, Bill wrote:
"eric" wrote in message
Hi,

Got quite a problem here because I'm moving out of my dorm in 2 days'
time, and I need to change my ceiling light bulb before then
(otherwise they'll impose some ridiculous penalty charge on me).

Anyways, here's how my domed ceiling lamp looks like:
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2015/lampfv.jpg

Try twisting the entire fixture clockwise or counter-clockwise like some
smoke detectors are removed.

Q. How many alt.home.repair experts does it take to change a light bulb?
A. 11 and counting...

LOL. My first thought after reading the first couple replies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to eric, Poi20 wrote:
I did look at the photo, and nothing comes to mind. Only coarse threads,
and
turn the white ring counter clockwise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Stormin Mormon, Gramaw wrote:
The only reply here to engage in name-calling, and it's from someone who signs
with "Learn more about Jesus."
Wow.
Simply astonishing (but sadly, not a rarity)

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ht-674819-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 00:44:01 +0000, Gramaw
wrote:

replying to Stormin Mormon, Gramaw wrote:
The only reply here to engage in name-calling, and it's from someone who signs
with "Learn more about Jesus."
Wow.
Simply astonishing (but sadly, not a rarity)

Hey Mormon. Set the hook. You got a live one here from Home Groaners
Hub. Reel real fast. Don't break the line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

replying to Stormin Mormon, Gramaw wrote:
The only reply here to engage in name-calling, and it's from someone who signs
with "Learn more about Jesus."
Wow.
Simply astonishing (but sadly, not a rarity)

Hey Mormon. Set the hook. You got a live one here from Home Groaners
Hub. Reel real fast. Don't break the line.

Sorry, friend. I filter out all posts from Moaners.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

replying to Stormin Mormon, Gramaw wrote:
The only reply here to engage in name-calling, and it's from someone who signs
with "Learn more about Jesus."
Wow.
Simply astonishing (but sadly, not a rarity)

Hey Mormon. Set the hook. You got a live one here from Home Groaners
Hub. Reel real fast. Don't break the line.

Sorry, the hook is set in Stumps cheek. The reel is broken because the knots
in the string got caught in his undies.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to eric, Nebrcyclist wrote:
Here an idea to remove the most stubborn glass globe. Go to Harbour Freight
and get a suction cup mounted shower handle. Wet the suction cup and attach
one end to the globe. The handle allows you to pull down slightly and twist
at the same time. Hey it worked for me after trying every technique online.
Good luck

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ht-674819-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 4:14:07 PM UTC-5, Nebrcyclist wrote:

replying to eric, Nebrcyclist wrote:
Here an idea to remove the most stubborn glass globe. Go to Harbour Freight
and get a suction cup mounted shower handle. Wet the suction cup and attach
one end to the globe. The handle allows you to pull down slightly and twist
at the same time. Hey it worked for me after trying every technique online.
Good luck

for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ht-674819-.htm

Nebraska cyclist must have wrapped his lips around the exhaust
of his tricycle/Vespa/motorcycle or he would have seen he's
replying to a FIVE YEAR OLD thread.

Reading comprehension must not be high on the list of requirements
at HomeMoaners.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I met a screwless woman once. She was not hard to remove, I just told
her to leave and she did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ItsJoanNotJoann, SFwriter wrote:
And does it not occur to you,
_madam-with-the-amazingly-highly-charged-testosterone-like-response,_ that
this difficulty may have arisen again, and again, and that this thread will
be sought and found repeatedly? I suppose, from your singular point of view,
all problems occur only *once*, for only *one * person, and never need to be
addressed *ever* again. Accusing someone of being unobservant or dull-witted
only serves to emphasise how infrequently you think about other people around
you and how we can */all experience these difficulties for the very first
time./*

Irrespective of your *actual* age, be it 90 or 19, you personify all the bad
things usually directed at millennials such as amazing self-absorption, and a
stunning inability to understand that your opinion isn't the only, or even
most important one. Basically what I'm saying is that if you don't have
something *positive * to contribute, then STFU.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ht-674819-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 12:14:09 PM UTC-6, SFwriter wrote:
[...]

Joan waited almost 2 years for your reply and she got tired of waiting on you and moved on. Tough luck clueless chum. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Observant Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

2 cents says Joan will reply.

Any takers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mr. Austerity, Rick wrote:
I made "handles" using duck tape and managed to twist it out.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ht-674819-.htm