Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does anyone know what 'kind' of threads are on a typical portablegas can?

For reasons explained elsewhere, I would love to replace the 'spout' of
about ten Blitz five-gallon plastic portable gasoline containers with a
simple gas cap.

I called Blitz, who does not sell an alternative gas can spout - nor
would they answer this question.

Do you know what 'threads' these cans use and what 'might' be used to
replace the caps that would still handle the 22psi vapor pressure of
gasoline & remain air & water tight?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2011 5:52 PM, worker bee wrote:
Blitz five-gallon plastic portable gasoline container

Dumb ass gas cans such as this are mandated here.
Real PITA to use and probably result in more gas spillage than old
fashioned cans. When I needed a new can a few years ago, I learned that
only the so called spill proof cans could be sold here.
Doubt if manufacturer would sell you a spout to defeat the mechanism.
Posted to alt.home.repair

worker bee wrote in news:jbgtil$j5j$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

For reasons explained elsewhere, I would love to replace the 'spout' of
about ten Blitz five-gallon plastic portable gasoline containers with a
simple gas cap.

I called Blitz, who does not sell an alternative gas can spout - nor
would they answer this question.

Do you know what 'threads' these cans use and what 'might' be used to
replace the caps that would still handle the 22psi vapor pressure of
gasoline & remain air & water tight?

There is really something wrong with you. Your preoccupation with gasoline
brings pyro to mind. Or like someone said, you're stealing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bee,

I'm pretty sure that the "blitz" is a USGI type fuel can. Look at fig. 1
in this pdf. and compare it to your cans.
http://home.comcast.net/~sday77/bink...l_Can_Spec.pdf

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 22:52:06 +0000 (UTC), worker bee
wrote:

replace the caps that would still handle the 22psi vapor pressure of
gasoline & remain air & water tight?

Duct Tape

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

For reasons explained elsewhere, I would love to replace the 'spout' of
about ten Blitz five-gallon plastic portable gasoline containers with a
simple gas cap.

I called Blitz, who does not sell an alternative gas can spout - nor
would they answer this question.

Do you know what 'threads' these cans use and what 'might' be used to
replace the caps that would still handle the 22psi vapor pressure of
gasoline & remain air & water tight?

Is the threaded ring separate from the actual spout? If so, simple
to make a plastic disc to take the place of the spout and seal very
well to the top of the container.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 2:52*pm, worker bee wrote:
For reasons explained elsewhere, I would love to replace the 'spout' of
about ten Blitz five-gallon plastic portable gasoline containers with a
simple gas cap.

I called Blitz, who does not sell an alternative gas can spout - nor
would they answer this question.

Do you know what 'threads' these cans use and what 'might' be used to
replace the caps that would still handle the 22psi vapor pressure of
gasoline & remain air & water tight?

I didn't check real carefully to see if these threads are the right
ones but you get the idea.

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/portab...l-storage.html

here's an Amazon link for cans from Midwest Can

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Can-Co.../dp/B001H1GQ7M

note the review from Oct 2009, it might be of some help

Midwest Can customer service is very responsive. They are sending me a replacement cap for "gas storage," i.e. a simple threaded cap.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:
For reasons explained elsewhere, I would love to replace the 'spout' of
about ten Blitz five-gallon plastic portable gasoline containers with a
simple gas cap.

I called Blitz, who does not sell an alternative gas can spout - nor
would they answer this question.

Do you know what 'threads' these cans use and what 'might' be used to
replace the caps that would still handle the 22psi vapor pressure of
gasoline & remain air & water tight?

* Is the threaded ring separate from the actual spout? If so, simple
to make a plastic disc to take the place of the spout and seal very
well to the top of the container.

IIRC I have bought "Blitz" brand containers in the past, but don't
have any anymore due to having to leave them behind every time I've
moved (for some reason moving and storage companies don't like dealing
with gas cans.) lIRC they came with such a disc, although likely it
has been lost over the years. They probably won't sell you
replacement spouts or discs now though because of the requirement for
the annoying new style nozzles.

I bought an old surplus jerry can while I still could; I hope that I
don't end up having to leave that behind.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 5, 10:55*am, N8N wrote:

IIRC I have bought "Blitz" brand containers in the past, but don't
have any anymore due to having to leave them behind every time I've
moved (for some reason moving and storage companies don't like dealing
with gas cans.)

Step 1: Play victim card.

That doesn't make any sense. At least one time you drove your car/s:

From: Nate Nagel
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Cross Country Moving?
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 09:04:06 -0500

"We drove the cars, because moving a car any significant distance
tends to cost at least $1K ..."
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...n&dmode=source

No room in the trunk/s...?

I bought an old surplus jerry can while I still could; I hope that I
don't end up having to leave that behind.

That doesn't make any sense, either. Jerry cans aren't scarce...

Oh, wait... you must mean back when you could afford one...
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Dec 5, 12:13*pm, gpsman wrote:
On Dec 5, 10:55*am, N8N wrote:

IIRC I have bought "Blitz" brand containers in the past, but don't
have any anymore due to having to leave them behind every time I've
moved (for some reason moving and storage companies don't like dealing
with gas cans.)

Step 1: Play victim card.

Non sequitur. Where did I say I was a victim of anything?

That doesn't make any sense. *At least one time you drove your car/s:

From: Nate Nagel
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 09:04:06 -0500

"We drove the cars, because moving a car any significant distance
tends to cost at least $1K ..."http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/msg/44d5a10c832d5adf?h...

No room in the trunk/s...?

Didn't really want to carry gas cans in the same trunk with suitcases,
coats, etc. - you know, the stuff you need immediately when you get to
your destination. Plus a new gas can is what, $5? Makes far more
sense to buy a new gas can at destination and not risk hundreds or
thousands of dollars worth of clothes and other essentials.

I bought an old surplus jerry can while I still could; I hope that I
don't end up having to leave that behind.

That doesn't make any sense, either. *Jerry cans aren't scarce...

Oh, wait... *you must mean back when you could afford one...

I meant back before they became hard to get due to the new laws about
gas can venting, just like I said.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote:
I bought an old surplus jerry can while I still could; I hope that I
don't end up having to leave that behind.

That doesn't make any sense, either. Jerry cans aren't scarce...

Oh, wait... you must mean back when you could afford one...

I meant back before they became hard to get due to the new laws about
gas can venting, just like I said.

Not hard. There are almost 700 listings for jerry cans on Ebay right now
(including parts like spouts and gaskets).
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

Aside:
Some are even free. About two years ago, while foraging through the
neighborhood the night before heavy trash pickup, I spotted one. Zip, into
the back of the truck.

I examined it when I got it home. Not only was is more than servicable, it
had, stenciled on the bottom in fading white paint:

III Army
SEP 44

It's possible my little can helped George Patton relieve the siege at
Bastogne!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 5:52*pm, worker bee wrote:
For reasons explained elsewhere, I would love to replace the 'spout' of
about ten Blitz five-gallon plastic portable gasoline containers with a
simple gas cap.

Well, you can't. CARB has made it illegal to sell anything but the
CARB-compliant spouts to fit gas cans. Most other states have followed
suit.

Even if you knew what thread it was, you couldn't legally obtain
anything to fit it, except a replacement CARB-compliant spout.

The thread is a proprietary thread specific to Blitz's gas cans. I
have a couple of Blitz cans, a few Sceptre cans, and one Harbor
Freight special. All different threads.

The cap from one brand will cross-thread on to the others because
they're close, but unless you use the original cap it leaks like a
sieve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 18:14:00 -0500, Frank wrote:
Doubt if manufacturer would sell
you a spout to defeat the mechanism.

They won't. In fact, when I called Blitz, they couldn't understand 'why'
anyone would 'want' to replace the spout.

If you've ever tried to pour five gallons of gas at about chest level,
they'd understand why.

You have to use one hand constantly on the spout button (or else it
closes), and the other hand has to be holding up the entire five gallon
can at about your chest level to pour it out. In addition, you MUST add a
hose to the end of the spout because it's too short to fit into any
normal tank opening.

The only practical way to use the spout is to simply remove it. But what
can I replace it with?

All I need is a cap that fits and holds 22 psi of vapor pressure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 23:35:50 +0000, Red Green wrote:
There is really something wrong with you. Your preoccupation with
gasoline brings pyro to mind. Or like someone said, you're stealing it.

It's not a preoccupation - it's simply a design problem.

Once every couple of months, I drive to the gas station and fill up ten
five gallon cans of gasoline. Back at home, I siphon that gasoline into a
55-gallon drum. Then, for the next two months, I use that gasoline to
fill two cars and various typical small engine motors. When needed, I
return to the gas station, two months thereafter.

NONE of these operations requires the spout.

I simply use the spout as a cap. It's not a big deal but the spout is
harder to remove and put back on than a simple cap would be simply
because you can't grip it with your entire hand (because the spout is in
the way).

So you can only grip it with the tip of your fingers. But it's on pretty
tight (air and water tight).

So, it would be a bit easier if I simply replaced the spout with a cap.

Do you have any idea what the threads are and where we can get a cap? I'm
sure I'm not the first person who wants to cap a gasoline can nowadays.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 18:40:40 -0500, Dave M. wrote:
http://home.comcast.net/~sday77/bink...l_Can_Spec.pdf

I like that PDF. But it showed some weird things!

I thought it strange that the can only need handle 15 psi (since I'm told
the vapor pressure of gasoline is 22 psi) but I guess it's close enough
for government work.

Also, it seemed odd that a 'venting port' was allowed - since the whole
point of the California gas cans is that there is no longer a separate
venting port (it's in the spout now - but that makes the spout nearly
useless as fuel flow is severely restricted).

However, the diagram of the threads seemed to be the wierdest feature.

1. At the top of the threaded neck, the diameter to the outside peak of
the threads seems to be 3.400 inches (+- 0.030 inches).
2. Yet, the last thread of the threaded neck, 1.20 inches later, seems to
enlarge that to 3.480 inches (+- 0.030 inches).
3. And, each thread seems to be 0.016 inches tall.

I wonder why they make the last thread bigger? Is it to make is super air
tight? Wouldn't normal threads be just as air tight?

3. The pitch seems to be 1/4 inch between threads, comprised of a 0.100
inch (+- 0.20 inches) peak, and the rest is a funny shape of 10 degree
and 32 degree angles.

Overall, that's a weird shape!

But at least we now know the shape.

I wonder if it has a specific name like most other threads do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 19:46:45 -0500, clare wrote:
Is the threaded ring separate from the actual spout? If so, simple
to make a plastic disc to take the place of the spout and seal very well
to the top of the container.

You may be on to something here.

The threaded ring does spin separately from the spout itself.

So, I might be able to drill out the spout, to see if I can fit a disc
inside yet still keep it air tight!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 09:19:54 -0600, HeyBub wrote:
There are almost 700 listings for jerry cans on Ebay right now
(including parts like spouts and gaskets).

It's illegal for them to ship them to California.

I don't know about any other state though.

But you gave me an idea. I might be able to pick up those tall metal
jerry cans at the army surplus store. I hear you can even pour them
straight into the vehicle (or into a 55-gallon drum).

THAT would be an improvement over my siphoning transfer of fuel!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 19:46:45 -0500, clare wrote:
Is the threaded ring separate from the actual spout?

Urgh, mine's like that and it never seems to seal properly.

I used to have a 5-gallon can which came with both a spout (threaded
portion was part of the spout and not a separate ring) and a cap.

I've not seen one like that for a long time; maybe they stopped making
them because too many people lost the spout while the cap was on (or vice
versa).

Maybe I need to find another can like it and get creative with some gas-
resistant glue, making myself a single-piece spout and a single-piece cap.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 07:52:53 -0800, dennisgauge wrote:
The cap from one brand will cross-thread on to the others because
they're close, but unless you use the original cap it leaks like a
sieve.

I haven't tried it so that is good information.

The Jerry Can Paper had a lot of good information.
(http://www.survivalmonkey.com/portab...l-storage.html)

But it too excluded California:
"California residents are no longer allowed to buy any of these jerry
cans unless the corresponding spouts meet the new California Air
Resources Board (CARB) spill-proof spouts."

Does that mean that if I do buy one of these Jerry cans, I'll have to
have them ship it to another state?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 5:52*pm, worker bee wrote:
For reasons explained elsewhere, I would love to replace the 'spout' of
about ten Blitz five-gallon plastic portable gasoline containers with a
simple gas cap.

I called Blitz, who does not sell an alternative gas can spout - nor
would they answer this question.

Do you know what 'threads' these cans use and what 'might' be used to
replace the caps that would still handle the 22psi vapor pressure of
gasoline & remain air & water tight?

the same threads in briggs and stratton lawnmower engines. I know
because i have swapped them by mistake in the past.

take a empty can and give it a try......

lawnmower gas caps seal well but have a vent for overpressure events

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 11:00*pm, worker bee wrote:

You have to use one hand constantly on the spout button (or else it
closes), and the other hand has to be holding up the entire five gallon
can at about your chest level to pour it out. In addition, you MUST add a
hose to the end of the spout because it's too short to fit into any
normal tank opening.

The one I have...you unlock the spout, push the spout-in...and it
stays open until you release the downwards pressure. I'm not sure if
it's the same brand as yours'.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 9:45*am, worker bee wrote:
Does that mean that if I do buy one of these Jerry cans, I'll have to
have them ship it to another state?

They cannot legally sell those cans to residents of CA, NY, any many
other states that have CARB or CARB-like regulations on the books.

Like most people, I am simply happy to find a CARB-compliant spout
that doesn't dribble gas. Slow? I don't care, as long as it doesn't
dribble gas.

Tractor Supply has recently started carrying Scepter-brand gas cans. I
bought one for $8 during their dollar days and so far so good.

If you can find the "No-Spill" brand cans, they're supposedly the
best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 06:57:29 -0800, bob haller wrote:
Lawnmower gas caps seal well but have a vent for overpressure events

That might work.

I'll go give it a try.

If it works, that suggestion is golden!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 4, 2011 at 4:14:00 PM UTC-7, Frank wrote:
On 12/4/2011 5:52 PM, worker bee wrote:
Blitz five-gallon plastic portable gasoline container

Dumb ass gas cans such as this are mandated here.
Real PITA to use and probably result in more gas spillage than old
fashioned cans. When I needed a new can a few years ago, I learned that
only the so called spill proof cans could be sold here.
Doubt if manufacturer would sell you a spout to defeat the mechanism.

Frank... you are spot on. The new style "enviro-safe" caps literally burst gas into my mower due to the "safety" spring mechanism holding pressure until the can is inverted and forcing the gas out at high pressure... blasting spray and spillage out the to of the tank. I once got a face full of gas on a very hot day because I forgot to release the pressure first. The old style allowed you to simply pour the gas... but apparently that was too logical and easy for the enlightened/woke crowd out there and had to be gutted and regulated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 10:34:04 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

Frank... you are spot on. The new style "enviro-safe" caps literally burst gas into my mower due to the "safety" spring mechanism holding pressure until the can is inverted and forcing the gas out at high pressure... blasting spray and spillage out the to of the tank. I once got a face full of gas on a very hot day because I

forgot to release the pressure first. The old style allowed you to simply pour the gas... but apparently that was too logical and easy for the enlightened/woke crowd out there and had to be gutted and regulated.

Releasing the pressure BEFORE you tip the can completely solves that
problem, and saves almost all the gas that would have evaporated into
the atmosphere between uses.

I have one of the newer cans and spill more gas out if it than I ever
did with the older ones.

I was going to put a spout off an older can on the new version. They
are the same diameter,but they use corse threads on the new can and
finer threads on the older can.

Glad I still have two of the old, pre-EPA cans. I haven't had to use the
new ones, but I see lots of people reporting problems. This sounds like
where the EPA screwed us with the new carbs on small engines where you
can't adjust them. The tree huggers figure that we're all stupid and just
want to make our engines run rough and spew more emissions. So, they locked
them. Now when the engines run rough, spew more emissions and we can't turn
the simple screw to fix it. Thank you EPA. I had a Sears leaf blower,
I used it for ten years on half choke because of that.Ran better on half
than no choke, but I'm sure it was spewing more emissions than if i could
have turned that screw....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/19 11:01 AM, trader_4 wrote:
Glad I still have two of the old, pre-EPA cans. I haven't had to use the
new ones, but I see lots of people reporting problems.

If you ever need a new gas can that works well, Eagle makes them:

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-U2-51-S.../dp/B000BQO15I

This sounds like
where the EPA screwed us with the new carbs on small engines where you
can't adjust them. The tree huggers figure that we're all stupid and just
want to make our engines run rough and spew more emissions. So, they locked
them. Now when the engines run rough, spew more emissions and we can't turn
the simple screw to fix it. Thank you EPA. I had a Sears leaf blower,
I used it for ten years on half choke because of that.Ran better on half
than no choke, but I'm sure it was spewing more emissions than if i could
have turned that screw....

Refreshing to see you not blame Trump for EPA carbs too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 11:53:24 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Glad I still have two of the old, pre-EPA cans. I haven't had to use the
new ones, but I see lots of people reporting problems. This sounds like
where the EPA screwed us with the new carbs on small engines where you
can't adjust them. The tree huggers figure that we're all stupid and just
want to make our engines run rough and spew more emissions. So, they locked
them. Now when the engines run rough, spew more emissions and we can't turn
the simple screw to fix it. Thank you EPA. I had a Sears leaf blower,
I used it for ten years on half choke because of that.Ran better on half
than no choke, but I'm sure it was spewing more emissions than if i could
have turned that screw....

I have 3 of the older 5 gallon cans and 1 one gallon can for the gas/oil
mix. Have one of the newer 1 galllon cans for a different gas/oil mix
and spill more gas out of it for the weed eater and leaf blower than aoo
the others combined.

Some of the carbs on the newer small gngines I haave can be adjusted,
but you have to have a special tool. I could not buy the tool I needed
for one of them, so I took out the adjustment screw and cut a slot in it
with my Dremmal tool.

Amazon sells the tool for the Walbro carbs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2019 10:53 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

Â* All my old 5 gallon cans have failed ... so I bought 2 new 5 gallon
units . Took a little experimentation but I've figured out these that I
have . There's a latch that you must depress to unlock the spout , the
tip pushes into the main part of the spout . Before I unlatch or pour ,
I tip the can to be sure any rain/condensation is out of the spout . I
then relieve the pressure by either pushing in the spout or loosening
the nut . Only then do I insert the spout into the fuel tank - with the
spout oriented correctly the little "hook" on the tip will catch at the
bottom of the fuel opening . Unlatch , push , and pour away ... and when
the tank is full , the fuel blocks air from entering the can which stops
the flow . Done carefully you won't spill a drop .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/19 2:09 PM, wrote:
[...]

I have modified a few to make them less annoying (such as repeatedly
closing when you're in the middle of pouring), but I prefer the simple
caps and spouts (and vents) from:

https://ezpourspout.com/

They say these spouts are for old cans only, but they have worked for
all the new cans I've tried them on (including some from Wal-Mart called
"Ameri-Can" using the yellow caps). I have filled a vehicle from a
5-gallon can several times, usually with NO visible sill on the concrete.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Saints fly only in the eyes of their disciples." [Hindu proverb]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 1:06:55 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 8/21/19 2:09 PM, wrote:
[...]

Wow, that's a good find, good to know, thanks!