Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dental floss toilet beast (must see)

My basement toilet had always been a slow flusher, so much so that it
was seldom ever used. Decided to get one of those toilet augers from
Home Depot and give it a spin today. Well, the darn thing got trapped
in the pipe and all the twisting and pulling in the world couldn't
release it. Had to remove the toilet to investigate. Here's what I
found after shifting the toilet bowl;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139781857/original

Had to cut the auger free;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139785909/original

Figured it was then just a case of freeing the ball of dental floss
from the rusted pipe but after cutting away and pulling, it started to
look like I had bitten off more than I could chew. Perseverance
finally prevailed after pulling with all my might using two hands.
Wasn't really prepared for what slowly emerged from the pipe....A
three foot long floss beast;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139790294/original

Its head;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139790297/original

Its belly;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139790298/original

Moral of this story is probably never to flush dental floss down a
toilet. You may never know what lurks beneath your toilet thereafter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 8:33*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Duuuhhh

Auger you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 7:15*pm, " wrote:
[...]

YYYYUUUUKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!

How long had you been in the house??? How many years had the beast
been building up?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 1:15*am, " wrote:
[...]

Heh Heh. That is not dental floss.
That is what in the UK we call "gaskin" . It is hemp fibre (often
tarred) and was used to fill the joint in socket and spigot rigid
pipes. (Iron or earthen ware.)
Neoprene gaskets are usually used now.

http://www.draindomain.com/types%20o...pe%20work.html

Dunno what you call it in the US.
You may find there is a leak from a pipe joint now.
It must have been badly installed in the first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 00:01:21 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote Re Dental floss toilet beast (must see):

Heh Heh. That is not dental floss.
That is what in the UK we call "gaskin" . It is hemp fibre (often
tarred) and was used to fill the joint in socket and spigot rigid
pipes. (Iron or earthen ware.)

That's what it looks like to me too.

It will be leaking someplace now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 02:29:10 -0600, Caesar Romano
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 00:01:21 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote Re Dental floss toilet beast (must see):

Heh Heh. That is not dental floss.
That is what in the UK we call "gaskin" . It is hemp fibre (often
tarred) and was used to fill the joint in socket and spigot rigid
pipes. (Iron or earthen ware.)

That's what it looks like to me too.

It will be leaking someplace now.

Sewer stack joints used to get packed with oakum, (either tarred hemp
or bentonite soaked hemp.)
Then filled with melted lead.
I don't see how he could pull the oakum out unless it was a really
badly done joint.
Doubt it will cause a leak unless the lead bead is broken and he gets
a backup.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/21/2011 3:01 AM, harry wrote:
On Nov 21, 1:15 am, wrote:
[...]

Whatever it is, a simple flame test would differentiate oakum, which is
hemp fiber, and dental floss, which is nylon and would melt.

On septic in my house, nothing goes down the drain that will not bio
degrade. Those on sewer system should do the same.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 3:01 am, harry wrote:
On Nov 21, 1:15 am, " wrote:

[...]

Well, Sherlock ya ain't.

Every single bell and hub joint in a three bathroom house would have
to have been pulled out to create that amount of fibrous material, and
it wouldn't have all collected at the one basement toilet flange.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 1:15 am, *wrote:
[...]

degrade. *Those on sewer system should do the same.- Hide quoted text -

I suspect you are dreaming if there are more than just you living
there. There is just me and my wife and I can't even get _her_ to
quit putting some things down there.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 6:38*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 21, 3:01 am, harry wrote:

On Nov 21, 1:15 am, " wrote:

[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

I agree. If that is what it was, it would have had to be put there
through the toilet itself.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm remembering the mouthy secretary in Evan Almighty. "Evan
if you tryin fo dat rugged look, man you way over shot it."

That looks like someone flushed about five years of dental
floss, plus a couple of string mop heads. Reallly
astounding.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Harry K" wrote in message

Every single bell and hub joint in a three bathroom house
would have
to have been pulled out to create that amount of fibrous
material, and
it wouldn't have all collected at the one basement toilet
flange.

I agree. If that is what it was, it would have had to be
put there
through the toilet itself.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 7:15*pm, " wrote:

it started to look like I had bitten off more than I could chew.

I'm hoping that's NOT how you got it out!

How long have you been it the house? (Is this from previous owners?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In the book "What Dr. Spock didn't tell us" there is a
chapter on Potty Arm. I think that applies, here.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Nov 21, 6:18 am, Frank
wrote:

On septic in my house, nothing goes down the drain that
will not bio
degrade. Those on sewer system should do the same.- Hide
quoted text -

I suspect you are dreaming if there are more than just you
living
there. There is just me and my wife and I can't even get
_her_ to
quit putting some things down there.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 12:12*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

YYYYUUUUKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!

How long had you been in the house??? *How many years had the beast
been building up

Alas, the beast be 13 years (or more) old. Plunged at it during many
an encounter to no avail. I now breathe a sigh of relief knowing that
it's finally slain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 10:28*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

That looks like someone flushed about five years of dental
floss, plus a couple of string mop heads. Reallly
astounding.

No mop heads, just at least 13 years of dental floss. The green floss
seemed to be the most resilient, hadn't used that in years but the
relatively few strands of that had retained their color well and were
one hell to cut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That looks like someone flushed about five years of dental
floss, plus a couple of string mop heads. Reallly
astounding.

Someone used one hell of a lot of dental floss. And musta flushed that
toilet many thousands of time for that much to build up. Talk about a
hoarder.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're a real man, and a hero in your house. Having slain
the dragon.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Nov 21, 12:12 am, "hr(bob) "

wrote:

YYYYUUUUKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!

How long had you been in the house??? How many years had
the beast
been building up

Alas, the beast be 13 years (or more) old. Plunged at it
during many
an encounter to no avail. I now breathe a sigh of relief
knowing that
it's finally slain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 11:43*am, "Steve B" wrote:

Someone used one hell of a lot of dental floss. *And musta flushed that
toilet many thousands of time for that much to build up. *Talk about a
hoarder.

Steve

Something else to bear in mind is the nature of the pipe involved.
Here we're talking iron with bumps, lumps and protrusions, just
waiting to snag strands of floss, as opposed to smooth as a baby's
bottom PVC;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139832286/original

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 8:47*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
You're a real man, and a hero in your house. Having slain
the dragon.

Sir Flossalot thanks ye for the kind words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Nov 21, 11:43 am, "Steve B" wrote:

Someone used one hell of a lot of dental floss. And musta flushed that
toilet many thousands of time for that much to build up. Talk about a
hoarder.

Steve

Something else to bear in mind is the nature of the pipe involved.
Here we're talking iron with bumps, lumps and protrusions, just
waiting to snag strands of floss, as opposed to smooth as a baby's
bottom PVC;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139832286/original

reply: Agreed. But I'd say there's about 500 rolls of dental floss there

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in news:31e0aa52-86ba-4540-
:

[...]

Did you stop for lunch during all this?

Just wondering....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art thou the sire, the father of the blonde dragon slayer
fraternal twins, Freddie and Flossie?

(There were some books, about 50 years ago. Was it the
"Bobsie Twins"?
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped.../Bobbsey_Twins
)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
You're a real man, and a hero in your house. Having slain
the dragon.

Sir Flossalot thanks ye for the kind words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 8:21*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Art thou the sire, the father of the blonde dragon slayer
fraternal twins, Freddie and Flossie?

Nay, 'twas not I.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 6:34*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

reply: *Agreed. *But I'd say there's about 500 rolls of dental floss there

Depends on the length of floss on a roll. The rolls I use have 200
yards of floss on them. Estimated usage over 13 years is 2.7 miles or
approximately 24 rolls. About 2/3 of that were flushed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 05:55:02 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Nov 22, 6:34Â*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

reply: Â*Agreed. Â*But I'd say there's about 500 rolls of dental floss there

Depends on the length of floss on a roll. The rolls I use have 200
yards of floss on them. Estimated usage over 13 years is 2.7 miles or
approximately 24 rolls. About 2/3 of that were flushed.

That would screw me good.
I have a "lift" system.
All house water gets pumped out.
Shortly after I spent $2100 for a plumber to replace the 50 year-old
pump, it started vibrating.
Plumber had to pull the pump out. $290.
Believe me, this plumber was a bargain.
He found a pair of shredded womans panties wrapped in the impeller.
I figure a guest **** her pants and flushed them down.
I almost feel like putting a sign opposite the commode.
Just haven't settled on the wording.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 9:23*am, Vic Smith wrote:

That would screw me good.

Looks like it can screw an entire city too;

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=TorontoHome
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll have to work on that for a couple days.
Seems like a worthy challenge, to properly
word a bathroom sign.

Needs to get the idea across, while not being
"too" offenseive.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Vic Smith" wrote in
message ...

That would screw me good.
I have a "lift" system.
All house water gets pumped out.
Shortly after I spent $2100 for a plumber to replace the 50
year-old
pump, it started vibrating.
Plumber had to pull the pump out. $290.
Believe me, this plumber was a bargain.
He found a pair of shredded womans panties wrapped in the
impeller.
I figure a guest **** her pants and flushed them down.
I almost feel like putting a sign opposite the commode.
Just haven't settled on the wording.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Nov 22, 6:34*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

reply: *Agreed. *But I'd say there's about 500 rolls of dental floss there

Depends on the length of floss on a roll. The rolls I use have 200
yards of floss on them. Estimated usage over 13 years is 2.7 miles or
approximately 24 rolls. About 2/3 of that were flushed.

That would screw me good.
I have a "lift" system.
All house water gets pumped out.
Shortly after I spent $2100 for a plumber to replace the 50 year-old
pump, it started vibrating.
Plumber had to pull the pump out. *$290.
Believe me, this plumber was a bargain.
He found a pair of shredded womans panties wrapped in the impeller.
I figure a guest **** her pants and flushed them down.
I almost feel like putting a sign opposite the commode.
Just haven't settled on the wording.

"If it didn't come out of your colon
don't be putting it in the bowl-in."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 10:57*am, RicodJour wrote:

"If it didn't come out of your colon
don't be putting it in the bowl-in."

P in the basin? And what about toilet paper? That would be one
confusing sign IMO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 6:45*pm, Red Green wrote:
[...]

Just wondering....- Hide quoted text -

I was cramming *down* a Buffalo Chicken Sub with Crumbly Blue Cheese
when I clicked on the links to the pictures.

Bad idea. The direction almost reversed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 8:23*am, Vic Smith wrote:

That would screw me good.
I have a "lift" system.
All house water gets pumped out.
Shortly after I spent $2100 for a plumber to replace the 50 year-old
pump, it started vibrating.
Plumber had to pull the pump out. *$290.
Believe me, this plumber was a bargain.
He found a pair of shredded womans panties wrapped in the impeller.
I figure a guest **** her pants and flushed them down.
I almost feel like putting a sign opposite the commode.
Just haven't settled on the wording.

--Vic

What about just having those packets for sanitary napkins available
for their discretionary disposal?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:58:51 -0800 (PST), Bob_Villa
wrote:

On Nov 23, 8:23Â*am, Vic Smith wrote:

That would screw me good.
I have a "lift" system.
All house water gets pumped out.
Shortly after I spent $2100 for a plumber to replace the 50 year-old
pump, it started vibrating.
Plumber had to pull the pump out. Â*$290.
Believe me, this plumber was a bargain.
He found a pair of shredded womans panties wrapped in the impeller.
I figure a guest **** her pants and flushed them down.
I almost feel like putting a sign opposite the commode.
Just haven't settled on the wording.

--Vic

What about just having those packets for sanitary napkins available
for their discretionary disposal?

I don't know. I'll ask my wife.
Seems they could have wrapped it in toilet paper.
Probably didn't bring their purse in there with them, and wanted to
avoid embarrassment..
Don't have that much "strange" company anyway.
Anybody family knows better.
How about,
"Whatever goes in this toilet that's not soft enough to go through the
basement pump will be returned to you tomorrow after I get it out of
the pump."

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/2011 9:51 AM, wrote:
On Nov 23, 9:23 am, Vic wrote:

That would screw me good.

Looks like it can screw an entire city too;

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=TorontoHome

I just can't imagine myself having the slightest urge to flush something
that isn't biodegradable down my toilet. I don't even put tissues down
mine, the system isn't made for them. Maybe people with municipal sewer
systems just don't give a **** and figure it's the city's problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm wondering if it's really all floss.

Some of those threads look a little long maybe? I break off about 8
inches at a time, I'd guess.

But mainly, how did it get there? This is the basement toilet, which
you don't use because it clogs. So that suggests you don't put floss
down it.

But we know it's not the main line, because your other toilets don't
clog. So they are not flowing past there. You must put the floss
down your upstairs toilets, and it should go right past the basement
lateral and into the municipal sewer.

What am I missing here?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 10:09*am, " wrote:
On Nov 23, 10:57*am, RicodJour wrote:

"If it didn't come out of your colon
don't be putting it in the bowl-in."

P in the basin? And what about toilet paper? That would be one
confusing sign IMO.

If you seldom used it...why would you waste a flush with floss? Can't
quite identify any logic here!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 12:49*pm, TimR wrote:
~
Some of those threads look a little long maybe? *I break off about 8
inches at a time, I'd guess.
~
~

Google for this...."We've pulled 8- and 10-feet ropes of dental floss
out the toilet that built up and built up."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 6:38*pm, Bob_Villa wrote:

If you seldom used it...why would you waste a flush with floss? *Can't
quite identify any logic here!

Seldom used it for #1.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 10:11*pm, " wrote:
On Nov 24, 12:49*pm, TimR wrote:

~
Some of those threads look a little long maybe? *I break off about 8
inches at a time, I'd guess.
~
~

Google for this...."We've pulled 8- and 10-feet ropes of dental floss
out the toilet that built up and built up."

Okay, makes sense. I guess they could twist up into a rope.

But still, how do they get into a seldom used and often clogging
toilet line, when the commonly used and not clogging toilet lines
don't have the floss? The place you found the beast can't be the main
trunk, it must be a lateral.