Posted to alt.home.repair
JP JP is offline

Default new light bulbs

read the box
the new bulbs are has-mat & you can't just trash them when they burn
out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 9:51*am, JP wrote:
read the box
the new bulbs are has-mat * & you can't just trash them when they burn
out.

Which new bulbs????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/11 10:51 am, JP wrote:

read the box
the new bulbs are has-mat& you can't just trash them when they burn
out.

The cleanup instructions are simple:

http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html

The same rules probably applied to those fluorescent tubes we've been
using for decades -- but maybe nobody was paying attention.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/11 10:51 am, JP wrote:

read the box
the new bulbs are has-mat& you can't just trash them when they burn
out.

The cleanup instructions are simple:

http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html

The same rules probably applied to those fluorescent tubes we've been
using for decades -- but maybe nobody was paying attention.

Perce

Gotta love the last question/answer!

What if I can't follow all the recommended steps? or I cleaned up a CFL
but didn't do it properly?

Don't be alarmed; these steps are only precautions that reflect best
practices for cleaning up a broken CFL. Keep in mind that CFLs contain a
very small amount of mercury -- less than 1/100th of the amount in a
mercury thermometer.

It sounds as if it's saying, "Don't sweat it, this is all just bull****
anyway".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 12:57*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:

On 11/16/11 10:51 am, JP wrote:

[...]

Of course it's all bull****.
Someone in the EPA once told me that a discarded mercury thermometer
contained more mercury than a days output of a coal fired plant.
But, this is what happens when you let government go berserk and
control everything.
Individual homeowners can slip under the radar but industry pays
dearly. That's one big reason corporations are moving their plants to
China.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/11 10:51 am, JP wrote:

[...]

China.- Hide quoted text -

But you don't discard a mercury thermometer every day.
There are thousands of coal fired plants running EVERY day.
Heavy metals are worse than radiation. They NEVER go away.

The Chinese will pay for their pollution. Are paying right now.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...rial-pollution

You ARE pretty dim aren't you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/11 10:51 am, JP wrote:

[...]

Plenty in the USA too. Thanks to half wits like yourself.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...led-in-us.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/11 10:51 am, JP wrote:

[...]

Take comfort. The Chinese government is now worried about coal-burning
power plant emissions and is trying to switch to renewable fuels. Wonder
why? They've also announced a ban on incandescent bulbs.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2011 1:42 PM, harry wrote:
On Nov 16, 6:03 pm, wrote:
On Nov 16, 12:57 pm, Tony wrote:

On 11/16/11 10:51 am, JP wrote:

[...]

No sense arguing with a know chemical genius. My apologies, Harry
Posted to alt.home.repair

JP wrote:
read the box
the new bulbs are has-mat & you can't just trash them when they burn
out.

Hold my beer and watch me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2011 7:51 AM, JP wrote:
read the box
the new bulbs are has-mat& you can't just trash them when they burn
out.

LMAO!! i've been throwing them out the usual way. along with the
100-150 8' tubes i bust in the dumpster each year.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2011 6:37 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 11/16/2011 7:51 AM, JP wrote:
read the box
the new bulbs are has-mat& you can't just trash them when they burn
out.

LMAO!! i've been throwing them out the usual way. along with the 100-150
8' tubes i bust in the dumpster each year.

Exactly right on, Steve.

Just dump em in the trash.
The gooberment is forcing us to buy this crap.

Just like this god damn ethanol gas ****. It corroded the carb on my
chainsaw and cost me 50 bucks for a new one. The repair shop tells me
not to trust gasahol that is over 45 days old so now i am forced to
drive down the street and dump my stale gas in the ditch every 45 days
or so. Is it bad for the environment? I really don't know but as a
practical matter, WTF else can I do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

What is the term I'm seeking?

"In order to make [ ] you have to break some CFL
bulbs."

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message
JP wrote in
:

read the box
the new bulbs are has-mat & you can't just trash them
when they burn
out.

Put them over the toilet. Tap and break with a butter knife.
Flush. Since
CFL's are considered very "green", OK for septic tanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 6:03 pm, *wrote:
On Nov 16, 12:57 pm, Tony *wrote:

On 11/16/11 10:51 am, JP wrote:

[...]

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...lution-hotspot...

No sense arguing with a know chemical genius. *My apologies, Harry - Hide quoted text -

Any body can appear tobe a genius compared with some of the morons
that appear here. Must be something in the water they drink.
Probably mercury. Or lead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Gore" wrote in message
news
Just like this god damn ethanol gas ****. It corroded the
carb on my chainsaw and cost me 50 bucks for a new one.
The repair shop tells me not to trust gasahol that is over
45 days old so now i am forced to drive down the street
and dump my stale gas in the ditch every 45 days or so.

You have subsidies for the corn farmers and
you have subsidies for the ethanol producers...
surely you must have some sort of subsidy for
the homeowner to pay for ethanol damaged
lawn and garden equipment, no?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe that explains the three eyed gnomes who live in your
neighborhood, and the squirrels who fall out of trees?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 11/16/2011 7:51 AM, JP wrote:
read the box
the new bulbs are has-mat& you can't just trash them when
they burn
out.

LMAO!! i've been throwing them out the usual way. along
with the
100-150 8' tubes i bust in the dumpster each year.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can pour the old gas mix in the fuel tank of your
vehicle. And hope it doesn't need a carb replacement.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Al Gore" wrote in message
news
Just like this god damn ethanol gas ****. It corroded the
carb on my
chainsaw and cost me 50 bucks for a new one. The repair shop
tells me
not to trust gasahol that is over 45 days old so now i am
forced to
drive down the street and dump my stale gas in the ditch
every 45 days
or so. Is it bad for the environment? I really don't know
but as a
practical matter, WTF else can I do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message
b.com...

"Al Gore" wrote in message
news
Just like this god damn ethanol gas ****. It corroded the
carb on my chainsaw and cost me 50 bucks for a new one.
The repair shop tells me not to trust gasahol that is
over 45 days old so now i am forced to drive down the
street and dump my stale gas in the ditch every 45 days
or so.

You have subsidies for the corn farmers and
you have subsidies for the ethanol producers...
surely you must have some sort of subsidy for
the homeowner to pay for ethanol damaged
lawn and garden equipment, no?

Oh stop your crying.

Ethanol content will soon be boosted to 15%.

When that happens, you'll see a lot of small gas engines
puking their guts and need replacing.

The best thing to do is buy a bunch of Briggs and Stratten
stock.

http://www.marke****ch.com/investing/stock/bgg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 6:46*pm, Al Gore wrote:
Just like this god damn ethanol gas ****. It corroded the carb on my
chainsaw and cost me 50 bucks for a new one. The repair shop tells me
not to trust gasahol that is over 45 days old so now i am forced to
drive down the street and dump my stale gas in the ditch every 45 days
or so. Is it bad for the environment? I really don't know but as a
practical matter, WTF else can I do?

If you believe the line of bovine excrement your repair shop is
handing you, then you could just dump the gas in your car's tank.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 17, 11:44*am, "HeyBob" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

b.com...

"Al Gore" wrote in message
news
Just like this god damn ethanol gas ****. It corroded the
carb on my chainsaw and cost me 50 bucks for a new one.
The repair shop tells me not to trust gasahol that is
over 45 days old so now i am forced to drive down the
street and dump my stale gas in the ditch every 45 days
or so.

You have subsidies for the corn farmers and
you have subsidies for the ethanol producers...
surely you must have some sort of subsidy for
the homeowner to pay for ethanol damaged
lawn and garden equipment, no?

Oh stop your crying.

Ethanol content will soon be boosted to 15%.

When that happens, you'll see a lot of small gas engines
puking their guts and need replacing.

The best thing to do is buy *a bunch of Briggs and Stratten
stock.

http://www.marke****ch.com/investing/stock/bgg

It won't be just the small gas engines that will be puking their
guts. At 15% ethanol there will be a lot of other engines destroyed
as well. The problems with ethanol are many and have negative effects
on all parts of the fuel delivery system as well as the engine. From
the engines standpoint, the worst aspect is that ethanol acts like a
damn sponge and will absorb as much moisture from the air as is
available. That is what is the most destructive to your engine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2011 4:37 PM, BobR wrote:
On Nov 17, 11:44 am, wrote:
wrote in message

b.com...

"Al wrote in message
news Just like this god damn ethanol gas ****. It corroded the
[...]

Yes, they're all goona be pukin' like a bunch of college freshmen.

This will be the gooberment's biggest stimulus package yet!
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote in
:

On Nov 16, 6:03 pm, *wrote:
On Nov 16, 12:57 pm, Tony *wrote:

On 11/16/11 10:51 am, JP wrote:

[...]

bullsh

it

-

Any body can appear tobe a genius compared with some of the morons
that appear here. Must be something in the water they drink.
Probably mercury. Or lead.

You gotta remember Harry. Decades ago many of us had jars of mercury we
played with in our hands because it was so cool. We just had to touch the
dry ice to see if it really burned. We stuck knifes in outlets. We melted
lead sinkers rught under our noses, etc, etc

Whe are a damaged people... :-(
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 6:03 pm, *wrote:
On Nov 16, 12:57 pm, Tony *wrote:

On 11/16/11 10:51 am, JP wrote:

[...]

Whe are a damaged people... :-(- Hide quoted text -

Ah, very sad. I remember getting up to those tricks myself.
The outlets over here were 240 volt. Really make your eyes light up.
Ever tried dropping ice cubes on to molten lead?
Or iodine into ammonia & let the result dry out?
Or bombs with weedkiller and sugar.
The kids today don't have any real fun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new light bulbs (and Kids of Olde)

I used to have some, from a broken thermometer. That stuff
was fun.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"John Simpson" wrote in
message ...

And played with mercury.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in news:i15dc79mc91opnebpnl4m815c5ja7rs02k@
4ax.com:

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 23:48:28 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

Ah, very sad. I remember getting up to those tricks myself.
The outlets over here were 240 volt. Really make your eyes light up.
Ever tried dropping ice cubes on to molten lead?
Or iodine into ammonia & let the result dry out?
Or bombs with weedkiller and sugar.
The kids today don't have any real fun.

Don't forget match heads. That was probably the most powerful
explosive the average person could get, usually for free in the olden
days. Bars and restaurants used to have big bowls of matches right by
the door.
It was labor intensive to scrape all of that stuff off the stick but
what else did kids have to do in those days?

Match heads! That pops a memory bubble.

Had a 2 ft pc of brass pipe. End cut off with a tubing cutter so it was
flared in on one end. Popped the gizmo out of the end of CO2 cartridges.
PACKED in match heads cut from matchbooks. Wire cutters were the bad-
asses tool for this exercise. Towards it being filled, put in a
firecracker wick. Packed a few more heads in. Drop CO2 cartridge in pipe
wick end first. Stops nicely with wick exposed out back end because it's
flared inwards. Hold pipe in hands, aim and light wick (smart ehhh].
Thing would launch with a boom & flash. Cool at night. Used to aim it
across the river at the marina and listen for the plunk when cartridge
hit. Hear the people on the boats sitting around getting drunk yelling
"Hey you ****in' kids!" Laugh asses off...so they could hear.

This was living...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:ja6io5
:

Other than the blood brothers thing and the seat belts, I
wrote about my own life. I also carried a knife to school
every day since 3rd grade.

Cuz God told you to? Or was it dad? :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Match heads! That pops a memory bubble.

Had a 2 ft pc of brass pipe. End cut off with a tubing cutter so it
was flared in on one end. Popped the gizmo out of the end of CO2
cartridges. PACKED in match heads cut from matchbooks. Wire cutters
were the bad- asses tool for this exercise. Towards it being filled,
put in a firecracker wick. Packed a few more heads in. Drop CO2
cartridge in pipe wick end first. Stops nicely with wick exposed out
back end because it's flared inwards. Hold pipe in hands, aim and
light wick (smart ehhh]. Thing would launch with a boom & flash. Cool
at night. Used to aim it across the river at the marina and listen
for the plunk when cartridge hit. Hear the people on the boats
sitting around getting drunk yelling "Hey you ****in' kids!" Laugh
asses off...so they could hear.

This was living...

We used equal parts of powdered zinc and sulfur.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was atheist till about the age of 27, so it wasn't God. I
just had a little streak of "don't tell me what to do" back
then. Less of that, now. But, still some.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in news:ja6io5
:

Other than the blood brothers thing and the seat belts, I
wrote about my own life. I also carried a knife to school
every day since 3rd grade.

Cuz God told you to? Or was it dad? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 19:48:52 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Red Green wrote:

[...]

Powdered magnesium is much more fun. Aluminum isn't bad, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 1:48*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Red Green wrote:

Match heads! That pops a memory bubble.

Had a 2 ft pc of brass pipe. End cut off with a tubing cutter so it
was flared in on one end. Popped the gizmo out of the end of CO2
cartridges. PACKED in match heads cut from matchbooks. Wire cutters
were the bad- asses tool for this exercise. Towards it being filled,
put in a firecracker wick. Packed a few more heads in. Drop CO2
cartridge in pipe wick end first. Stops nicely with wick exposed out
back end because it's flared inwards. Hold pipe in hands, aim and
light wick (smart ehhh]. Thing would launch with a boom & flash. Cool
at night. Used to aim it across the river at the marina and listen
for the plunk when cartridge hit. Hear the people on the boats
sitting around getting drunk yelling "Hey you ****in' kids!" Laugh
asses off...so they could hear.

This was living...

We used equal parts of powdered zinc and sulfur.- Hide quoted text -

Or pottassium permanganate and sulphur.
Home made spears. Bows and arrows. Bolas. Catapults. Slings.
i once made an atlatl. Never got it tp work properly.
Or just throwing rocks at one another.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I had a 1" steel pipe about 8" long. The one end was welded shut and
then had a little hole drilled in it. Insert fuse into hole then pack a
couple inches of match heads, a little wadding, then valve lifters from
the junk yard. Shot a lifter through a 60's vintage car door no
problem. Shot all kinds of stuff until I realized how dangerous it
would be it the pipe blew up, then I held it in place with a big rock
and stood back instead of holding it still with my foot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Glad you weren't on the other side of the river.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2011 1:48 AM, harry wrote:

On Nov 16, 6:03 pm, wrote:
On Nov 16, 12:57 pm, Tony wrote:

On 11/16/11 10:51 am, JP wrote:

[...]

Kids today play with microwave ovens. ^_^

TDD