DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   HVAC parts markup (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/331721-hvac-parts-markup.html)

Percival P. Cassidy November 12th 11 11:09 PM

HVAC parts markup

Had a local HVAC company check out our furnace a few days ago -- first
time in almost 8 years ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and we have
carbon monoxide detectors). The only thing he could find wrong was that
the run capacitor's capacitance was down somewhat: 3.6uF instead of 5uF.
I asked how much a replacement was: "$80 if it comes off the truck, but
if you go to our office you can probably get one for less." Since I had
replaced a dual capacitor on the AC for only about $20 a couple years
back, I declined to have the capacitor replaced. I now have a new one I
bought online for $6 + $3 shipping.

Perce

bob haller November 12th 11 11:13 PM

HVAC parts markup

On Nov 12, 6:09*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
Had a local HVAC company check out our furnace a few days ago -- first
time in almost 8 years ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and we have
carbon monoxide detectors). The only thing he could find wrong was that
the run capacitor's capacitance was down somewhat: 3.6uF instead of 5uF.
I asked how much a replacement was: "$80 if it comes off the truck, but
if you go to our office you can probably get one for less." Since I had
replaced a dual capacitor on the AC for only about $20 a couple years
back, I declined to have the capacitor replaced. I now have a new one I
bought online for $6 + $3 shipping.

Perce

auto brake parts price between auto parts store and garage is
typically double

Bill[_9_] November 12th 11 11:37 PM

HVAC parts markup

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Had a local HVAC company check out our furnace a few days ago --
first time in almost 8 years ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and
we have carbon monoxide detectors). The only thing he could find
wrong was that the run capacitor's capacitance was down somewhat:
3.6uF instead of 5uF. I asked how much a replacement was: "$80 if it
comes off the truck, but if you go to our office you can probably
get one for less." Since I had replaced a dual capacitor on the AC
for only about $20 a couple years back, I declined to have the
capacitor replaced. I now have a new one I bought online for $6 + $3
shipping.

Perce

Those guys tell my elderly dad he needs a whole new HVAC system every
couple of years. Talk about crooks! Also go to alt.hvac, some pretty
nasty people over there!

Stormin Mormon November 12th 11 11:46 PM

HVAC parts markup

Some companies are crooked. And, yes, the
folks who post on "alternating havoc" can
be less than kind.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon November 12th 11 11:46 PM

HVAC parts markup

Seems a bit pricey. Still, they have to pay the insurance,
van repairs, tires, phone bill, yellow pages, liability
insurance, wages, labor rate, store rent, and cell phone
bills some how.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Tony Miklos[_2_] November 13th 11 12:23 AM

HVAC parts markup

Had a local HVAC company check out our furnace a few days ago -- first
time in almost 8 years ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and we have
carbon monoxide detectors). The only thing he could find wrong was that
the run capacitor's capacitance was down somewhat: 3.6uF instead of 5uF.
I asked how much a replacement was: "$80 if it comes off the truck, but
if you go to our office you can probably get one for less." Since I had
replaced a dual capacitor on the AC for only about $20 a couple years
back, I declined to have the capacitor replaced. I now have a new one I
bought online for $6 + $3 shipping.

Perce

Hmm... I used to sell a 4uf for only $20 out of the van. I'll have to
up my price well over $80 since jukebox service is much more specialized
than HVAC.

harry November 13th 11 08:13 AM

HVAC parts markup

On Nov 13, 12:23*am, Tony Miklos wrote:

Had a local HVAC company check out our furnace a few days ago -- first
time in almost 8 years ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and we have
carbon monoxide detectors). The only thing he could find wrong was that
the run capacitor's capacitance was down somewhat: 3.6uF instead of 5uF..
I asked how much a replacement was: "$80 if it comes off the truck, but
if you go to our office you can probably get one for less." Since I had
replaced a dual capacitor on the AC for only about $20 a couple years
back, I declined to have the capacitor replaced. I now have a new one I
bought online for $6 + $3 shipping.

Perce

Hmm... *I used to sell a 4uf for only $20 out of the van. *I'll have to
up my price well over $80 since jukebox service is much more specialized
than HVAC.

Do they still have jukeboxes in America? I haven't seen one since the
1970s. Most disappared in the 1960's over here (UK)
They are considered to be valuble antiques now, collectors pay a lot
of money.

The Daring Dufas[_7_] November 13th 11 09:42 AM

HVAC parts markup

Had a local HVAC company check out our furnace a few days ago -- first
time in almost 8 years ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and we have
carbon monoxide detectors). The only thing he could find wrong was that
the run capacitor's capacitance was down somewhat: 3.6uF instead of 5uF.
I asked how much a replacement was: "$80 if it comes off the truck, but
if you go to our office you can probably get one for less." Since I had
replaced a dual capacitor on the AC for only about $20 a couple years
back, I declined to have the capacitor replaced. I now have a new one I
bought online for $6 + $3 shipping.

Perce

One of the legal things I do for money is maintenance and repair of HVAC
and refrigeration systems and the tech's price of $80 was not
out of line for a large organization to charge its customers. My good
friend GB whom I did a lot of work with passed away last month and being
a small one horse operation neither one of us charged what folks
would think of as exorbitant prices for parts. I would have charged
$30 for the part because of the formula I use. Over the counter cost +
a fraction of fuel and other vehicle expenses + a fraction of other
business expenses + the most costly of items...my "time". Whenever
someone complains about my price on parts, I explain that I'm not in
the business of selling parts, I have one product I sell and that
product is my time. The same people who complain about my price for
parts think nothing of paying an attorney $150 for a few sheets of paper
with some words printed on them. Why the paper only costs 5 cents at the
most, why on earth would I pay $150 for a few sheets of paper?
You are paying for the lawyer's "time" and the lawyer sells the same
product I sell, "time". The price of our time is based on the "time"
it took us to gain the knowledge and experience to do what we do. I've
spent more than of four decades gaining the knowledge and experience to
do the things I can do and I think I should really receive more money
for my "time" but I'm not too greedy and often help out a lot of folks
for little or nothing if they're in a difficult situation. It's amazing
what a little neighborly help can do for business. Me and my late friend
repaired the AC system for an elderly fellow on a fixed income for very
little money and the old guy told his whole family who started calling
us to work for them at full price. Funny how that works. ^_^

TDD

Ed Pawlowski November 13th 11 12:27 PM

HVAC parts markup

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:13:53 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

Hmm... *I used to sell a 4uf for only $20 out of the van. *I'll have to
up my price well over $80 since jukebox service is much more specialized
than HVAC.

Do they still have jukeboxes in America? I haven't seen one since the
1970s. Most disappared in the 1960's over here (UK)
They are considered to be valuble antiques now, collectors pay a lot
of money.

Still a few around. They are more electronics now. Last I looked
they had CDs, but possibly now use a hard drive. I've not looked
inside of one for years.

Tony Miklos[_2_] November 13th 11 01:45 PM

HVAC parts markup

wrote:

Hmm... I used to sell a 4uf for only $20 out of the van. I'll have to
up my price well over $80 since jukebox service is much more specialized
than HVAC.

Do they still have jukeboxes in America? I haven't seen one since the
1970s. Most disappared in the 1960's over here (UK)
They are considered to be valuble antiques now, collectors pay a lot
of money.

Still a few around. They are more electronics now. Last I looked
they had CDs, but possibly now use a hard drive. I've not looked
inside of one for years.

Yes the new ones are a computer and hard drives. They download songs
and pay royalties at the same time. My specialty is repairing jukes in
homes. Some are ugly 70's to 90's models but I mostly deal with the
antique ones that play 78's and newer old ones that play 45's. The
antique/collectible market peaked about 20 years ago, prices are way
down on most jukes. I repair pinball machines and other coin-op stuff
also. I have one like this in my living room.
http://barsandbooths.com/images/bandbs79.jpg

Stormin Mormon November 13th 11 02:02 PM

HVAC parts markup

I've found that volunteer work always turns into paid work.
I was, yesterday, at orientation for the local humane
society. Cell phone rang, it's a paying customer. Got to
dash out the door, and go make some money. Come back for the
rest of the training.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon November 13th 11 02:05 PM

HVAC parts markup

That's the idea I was trying to share with Percy, is that
the repair tech brought years of experience and thousands of
dollars of tools to his furnace. To know what part needed
replacing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

Percival P. Cassidy November 13th 11 03:05 PM

HVAC parts markup

On 11/12/11 06:46 pm, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Seems a bit pricey. Still, they have to pay the insurance,
van repairs, tires, phone bill, yellow pages, liability
insurance, wages, labor rate, store rent, and cell phone
bills some how.

Don't forget that we were already paying for the service call itself. I
can (perhaps) see paying a high price for a part if that has to cover
the tech's travel time, truck running costs, etc., but we'd already paid
for that.

The tech tried to sell us an annual maintenance plan for $129: two
checkups each year (one for furnace, one for A/C) and 15% off any parts
needed. I said, "15% off the outrageously inflated prices, you mean?" He
laughed and said, "Yes."

Perce

harry November 13th 11 03:42 PM

HVAC parts markup

On Nov 13, 9:42*am, The Daring Dufas

[...]

Glad you're back Duf. You OK?

harry November 13th 11 03:44 PM

HVAC parts markup

wrote:

[...]

http://barsandbooths.com/images/bandbs79.jpg- Hide quoted text -

Bloody hell!!!!!! Only in America :-)

harry November 13th 11 03:46 PM

HVAC parts markup

On Nov 13, 3:05*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
On 11/12/11 06:46 pm, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Seems a bit pricey. Still, they have to pay the insurance,
van repairs, tires, phone bill, yellow pages, liability
insurance, wages, labor rate, store rent, and cell phone
bills some how.

Don't forget that we were already paying for the service call itself. I
can (perhaps) see paying a high price for a part if that has to cover
the tech's travel time, truck running costs, etc., but we'd already paid
for that.

The tech tried to sell us an annual maintenance plan for $129: two
checkups each year (one for furnace, one for A/C) and 15% off any parts
needed. I said, "15% off the outrageously inflated prices, you mean?" He
laughed and said, "Yes."

Perce

If you get enough insulation you can finish with all that.

The Daring Dufas[_7_] November 13th 11 05:49 PM

HVAC parts markup

On 11/13/2011 9:42 AM, harry wrote:
On Nov 13, 9:42 am, The Daring

[...]

Oh yea, I'm thousands of posts behind and exhausted being one of the
working disabled. I have to finish an installation in another city 90
miles South tomorrow and I will be quite exhausted when I get back. I
have some things to attend to here at home today as soon as the anti-
inflammatory and pain meds take effect. Every joint and every square
inch of me hurts but that's how I know I'm alive. If I wasn't in pain,
I would be suspicious that something is wrong. ^_^

TDD

Stormin Mormon November 13th 11 09:52 PM

HVAC parts markup (and the Dufas reports in)

Also, I am one who reads, enjoys, and learns from your
posts. Sorry that you're pain. Glad that you have some meds
that seems to help. I think we had animated discussion of
what pills seem to help.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The Daring Dufas[_7_] November 13th 11 11:25 PM

On 11/13/2011 3:52 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Also, I am one who reads, enjoys, and learns from your
posts. Sorry that you're pain. Glad that you have some meds
that seems to help. I think we had animated discussion of
what pills seem to help.

I went to the county hospital several years ago and explained my problem
with drugs to the clerk filling out my paperwork. I explained
that I have a problem with drugs, I don't like taking drugs. I don't
like anything that affects my balance, my thought processes or my
perception of the world around me. I also have a problem with drugs
because the darn things don't work on me the way they do on most people.
The dose of drugs that would knock out a normal person doesn't work on
me and many pain medications are ineffective at recommended dosages.
Sometimes a medication will have the opposite effect like a stimulant
putting me to sleep. After my explanation, the Affirmative Action clerk
wrote down, "Patient has drug problem." ^_^

TDD

Stormin Mormon November 13th 11 11:38 PM

HVAC parts markup (and the Dufas reports in)

Racism: When a company policy is to hire people of a
particular race, because of societal norms and traditons.
Regardless of the person's qualification to perform the job.

Diversity: When a company policy is to hire people of a

Stormin Mormon November 13th 11 11:39 PM

HVAC parts markup (and the Dufas reports in)

My Dad went to the repair garage, one time. Describes how
the alternator light comes on, only on left turns while
decelerating, and only in 2nd gear. Service writer writes
down "check battery". Must have been the same affirmative
action hire?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The Daring Dufas[_7_] November 14th 11 03:35 AM

On 11/13/2011 5:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My Dad went to the repair garage, one time. Describes how
the alternator light comes on, only on left turns while
decelerating, and only in 2nd gear. Service writer writes
down "check battery". Must have been the same affirmative
action hire?

I have to hold my temper in check when I deal with Americans who don't
comprehend the English language because of their government school
education. I remain outwardly calm but in my mind, I'm choking the crap
out of them. ^_^

TDD

harry November 14th 11 08:36 AM

HVAC parts markup (and the Dufas reports in)

On Nov 13, 9:52*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Also, I am one who reads, enjoys, and learns from your
posts. Sorry that you're pain. Glad that you have some meds
that seems to help. I think we had animated discussion of
what pills seem to help.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"The Daring Dufas"
wrote in ...

Glad *you're back Duf. You OK?

Oh yea, I'm thousands of posts behind and exhausted being
one of the
working disabled. I have to finish an installation in
another city 90
miles South tomorrow and I will be quite exhausted when I
get back. I
have some things to attend to here at home today as soon as
the anti-
inflammatory and pain meds take effect. Every joint and
every square
inch of me hurts but that's how I know I'm alive. If I
wasn't in pain,
I would be suspicious that something is wrong. ^_^

TDD

Well I wouldn't bother trying to catch up. It's mostly the usual
drivel :-)
I believe there is new treatment on the horizon for inflamation pain/
complaints.

harry November 14th 11 08:38 AM

HVAC parts markup (and the Dufas reports in)

On Nov 14, 3:35*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 11/13/2011 5:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My Dad went to the repair garage, one time. Describes how
the alternator light comes on, only on left turns while
decelerating, and only in 2nd gear. Service writer writes
down "check battery". Must have been the same affirmative
action *hire?

I have to hold my temper in check when I deal with Americans who don't
comprehend the English language because of their government school
education. I remain outwardly calm but in my mind, I'm choking the crap
out of them. ^_^

TDD

Keep away from firearms Duf........

[email protected] November 15th 11 12:07 AM

wrote:
On 11/13/2011 5:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My Dad went to the repair garage, one time. Describes how
the alternator light comes on, only on left turns while
decelerating, and only in 2nd gear. Service writer writes
down "check battery". Must have been the same affirmative
action *hire?

I have to hold my temper in check when I deal with Americans who don't
comprehend the English language because of their government school
education. I remain outwardly calm but in my mind, I'm choking the crap
out of them. ^_^

TDD

Keep away from firearms Duf........

....and you think Americans are hung up on guns. IT'S ALL YOU TALK ABOUT
ANYMORE, harry. Feeling short?

Oren[_2_] November 15th 11 12:17 AM

HVAC parts markup (and the Dufas reports in)

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 18:07:41 -0600, "
wrote:

Keep away from firearms Duf........

...and you think Americans are hung up on guns. IT'S ALL YOU TALK ABOUT
ANYMORE, harry. Feeling short?

harry is a blooter. Aside from a braying pasture animal.

The Daring Dufas[_7_] November 15th 11 07:25 AM

wrote:
[...]

Gosh, when I'm down for a few days due to exhaustion, I get behind in my
reading. ^_^

TDD

Tony Miklos[_2_] November 15th 11 02:38 PM

HVAC parts markup

wrote:

[...]

I'm still trying to figure out what that means?

Tony Miklos[_2_] November 15th 11 02:39 PM

HVAC parts markup

[...]

Thanks. Sounds good too!

HeyBub[_3_] November 15th 11 04:56 PM

HVAC parts markup

living room. http://barsandbooths.com/images/bandbs79.jpg- Hide
quoted text -

Bloody hell!!!!!! Only in America :-)

I'm still trying to figure out what that means?

He drove a nail through his toe?

HeyBub[_3_] November 15th 11 04:59 PM

HVAC parts markup

wrote:

[...]

Heh!

A few years ago I got a call from one of the two royalty-collecting
agencies. They wanted me to pay (I think it was) $35/year for our office
"music on hold" feature.

"Hold on," I said as I put the lady on hold for about thirty seconds.

Going back on the line I asked: "Recognize that?"

"Er, no," she said.

"That was Mozart. Played by the Soviet National Orchestra, from a country
that no longer exists. Now, just who in the hell would you pay the royalties
TO?"

"Never mind," she said as she broke the connection.

Stormin Mormon November 15th 11 05:28 PM

HVAC parts markup

Priceless! Thanks for sharing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

m...

DerbyDad03 November 15th 11 05:45 PM

HVAC parts markup (and the Dufas reports in)

On Nov 13, 10:35*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 11/13/2011 5:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My Dad went to the repair garage, one time. Describes how
the alternator light comes on, only on left turns while
decelerating, and only in 2nd gear. Service writer writes
down "check battery". Must have been the same affirmative
action *hire?

I have to hold my temper in check when I deal with Americans who don't
comprehend the English language because of their government school
education. I remain outwardly calm but in my mind, I'm choking the crap
out of them. ^_^

TDD

Do you mean Americans who write sentences like this?

"Regardless of the person's qualification to perform the job."

The Daring Dufas[_7_] November 16th 11 07:22 AM

HVAC parts markup (and the Dufas reports in)

On 11/15/2011 11:45 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 13, 10:35 pm, The Daring
wrote:
On 11/13/2011 5:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My Dad went to the repair garage, one time. Describes how
the alternator light comes on, only on left turns while
decelerating, and only in 2nd gear. Service writer writes
down "check battery". Must have been the same affirmative
action hire?

I have to hold my temper in check when I deal with Americans who don't
comprehend the English language because of their government school
education. I remain outwardly calm but in my mind, I'm choking the crap
out of them. ^_^

TDD

Do you mean Americans who write sentences like this?

"Regardless of the person's qualification to perform the job."

Actually it's more like "we be, dey be, y'all be, wut it was, lemme ax u
a querstion" I don't even try to insult them by calling then asinine
because they think I'm referring to the size of their backside. ^_^

TDD