Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Default Are all roofers ripoffs?

I have an rowhouse in the middle of 12 attached homes. I noticed that
the A_One Roofing company was working on a house a few doors down and
asked them to take a look at mine. Since I've had water damage in one
top corner of the main bedroom, I knew that something was amiss.

Of course, I'm told that I need a new roof. It's only been about eight
years since I had a new roof put on so that's pretty quick. I bought
some roll of rubberized stuff from Home Despot and this past Sunday I
hauled the ladder out of the garage, went to the back of the house,
and my next door neighbor and I proceeded to head up to the roof.

I absolutely hate climbing that ladder; I'm not overly afraid of
heights (it's more a healthy respect), and it really isn't very far
from the deck to the two story roof, but those last ten feet aren't
fun. Nor is knowing that I have to get from the roof back onto the
ladder and head back down. I guess folks get used to that or find some
other area of work.

The part where the roofing meets the dividing wall was peeling away
from the wall so we cut that part off and slapped the rubberized
sticky stuff along about four feet that was pulling away. That
certainly looked like where the water was gettiing in since it was
right over the water damage. Hopefully a cure.

Then we used some plumbers putty to fill in some cracks on the
overlapping ceramic(?) plates covering the top of the wall. My
neighbor fixed a few areas that looked weak on his roof and down we
went.

The peaked area at the front of my roof needs work; more than I was
prepared to do at the time and I'll certainly pay a few hundred for
someone to fix that. But a new roof? It looked pretty good to both of
us, and my neightbor does know something about construction.

Am I wrong in thinking that A-One Roofing is a ripoff? Nice old
Italian guy and his illegal immigrant workers, but I guess a liar?
Before I went up, friends and family asked why I didn't just hire
someone. Well, two reasons, first, I kind of like doing stuff by
myself (or I wouldn't be on this newsgroup (althought the politics is
fun) but I also just don't trust someone to fix something that I can't
see.