Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The Price of Plutocracy

On Nov 1, 11:46*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,

*"HeyBub" wrote:

I further hold that, in the main, it is misguided government programs that
keep the poor in their condition or, in fact, enlarge their numbers.

*"A generous welfare program would put an immediate end to poverty
(defined otherwise than as relative deprivation), but by causing the
break up of many families, by reducing motivation to work and to save
and in general to take some account of the future, and by discouraging
migration from areas of poor opportunity to areas of good opportunity it
might in the long run do more harm than good on the whole."

* *Edward Banfield *The Unheavenly City* 1970

Wealth can only be created by (proper) work. Any attempt to create
it out of thin air results in disaster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

I further hold that, in the main, it is misguided government
programs that keep the poor in their condition or, in fact, enlarge
their numbers.

"A generous welfare program would put an immediate end to poverty
(defined otherwise than as relative deprivation), but by causing the
break up of many families, by reducing motivation to work and to save
and in general to take some account of the future, and by
discouraging migration from areas of poor opportunity to areas of
good opportunity it might in the long run do more harm than good on
the whole."

Edward Banfield *The Unheavenly City* 1970

Wealth can only be created by (proper) work. Any attempt to create
it out of thin air results in disaster.

Nonsense. If I think of a more efficient way to do something, even as
mundane as a different route for the letter carrier or a different layout
for a commercial parking lot, I have created wealth. If I own $10,000 worth
of stock in corporation "X" and corporation "X" announces a new product such
that my stock is now worth $20,000, wealth has been created and I did
absolutely nothing - except have the foresight to buy stock in "X".

If I'm just sitting around doodling and deduce a formula for turning corn
into aluminum, in short order I'm probably the wealthiest man on the planet!
No more mining bauxite in South Africa and shipping it to Costa Rica for
pre-processing thence to smelters in the U.S., and I did no - or not much -
work at all! And lest you think it's silly to contemplate turning corn into
aluminum, the same thing was said not long ago about turning corn into
gasoline...

Posted to alt.home.repair

*"HeyBub" wrote:

I further hold that, in the main, it is misguided government programs that
keep the poor in their condition or, in fact, enlarge their numbers.

*"A generous welfare program would put an immediate end to poverty
(defined otherwise than as relative deprivation), but by causing the
break up of many families, by reducing motivation to work and to save
and in general to take some account of the future, and by discouraging
migration from areas of poor opportunity to areas of good opportunity it
might in the long run do more harm than good on the whole."

* *Edward Banfield *The Unheavenly City* 1970

Wealth can only be created by *(proper) work. *Any attempt to create
it out of thin air results in disaster.

They did pretty well on Wall Street. Out of thin air.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 10:11*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
*"HeyBub" wrote:

I further hold that, in the main, it is misguided government programs that
keep the poor in their condition or, in fact, enlarge their numbers..

*"A generous welfare program would put an immediate end to poverty
(defined otherwise than as relative deprivation), but by causing the
break up of many families, by reducing motivation to work and to save
and in general to take some account of the future, and by discouraging
migration from areas of poor opportunity to areas of good opportunity it
might in the long run do more harm than good on the whole."

* *Edward Banfield *The Unheavenly City* 1970

Wealth can only be created by *(proper) work. *Any attempt to create
it out of thin air results in disaster.

They did pretty well on Wall Street. *Out of thin air.

And created disaster.
They created money not wealth. They stole your wealth. using money as
a tool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

Whatever. They still created wealth without getting their hands dirty. This
notion completely deflates your contention that wealth is created only by
"(proper) work."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2011 5:47 AM, harry wrote:
On Nov 1, 10:11 pm, Higgs wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Nobody stole..."they" just took what was gladly spent to drop the
"middle class" and governments into pits of debt. Spend, spend,
spend...run up many thousands in insane credit-card debt, then just
spend the equity in your home to pay it off. "I don't want taxes or big
government, but I sure as hell want clean air and water, relief from any
and all disasters, good roads and bridges, and a local official I can
call when things don't go my way." We have gotten precisely what we
asked for.