Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to connect copper to PVC?

I've heard of using womens nylon panty hose for drive belt.
But that bungee and duct tape is a new one, to me. I'll
print this out, and put in the car with the spare tire. Just
in case.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Duct tape didn't work when my clothes dryer belt snapped
the other day
and nowhere in town had a replacement. I never thought of
trying a bungie
cord, though ;-)

A bungie should work fine for your belt, just remove the
metal hooks
on the end and duct tape the ends together. Of course you
need the
proper length bungie. You can measure that by taking a tail
hair off
one of you your cattle or horses. or using a piece of balin
twine as a
measurin device. If you aint got none of them things, but
are lucky
enough to still have a dollar bill in your wallet in this
poor
economy, all dollar bills are 6 inches long. Then measure
to the
closest letter or number on the bill if it's an uneven
divider of six.
Then you get a bungie thats a little shorter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2011 2:52 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 21:34:21 -0700, Steve Barker
wrote:

If you don't have the soldering rig, a $7 Sharkbite is less than a burner, a
tank of fuel, solder, flux, and all the other stuff. A lot less.

Steve

sharkbites don't fit pvc. they fit CPVC.

(teach me moment)

Are not PVC / CPVC in the same diameters, etc.? I know CPVC is for
hot water. 1/2 PVC is not the same size as 1/2 CPVC?

Thanks.

PVC is sized by ID (inside diameter)
CPVC is sized by OD (outside diameter)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 14:14:14 -0600, jw wrote:

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 21:29:01 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 14:33:50 -0600, jw wrote:
Duct tape and bungie cords are all you will ever need to repair
everything.

Duct tape didn't work when my clothes dryer belt snapped the other day
and nowhere in town had a replacement. I never thought of trying a
bungie cord, though ;-)

A bungie should work fine for your belt, just remove the metal hooks on
the end and duct tape the ends together. Of course you need the proper
length bungie. You can measure that by taking a tail hair off one of
you your cattle or horses. or using a piece of balin twine as a measurin
device. If you aint got none of them things, but are lucky enough to
still have a dollar bill in your wallet in this poor economy, all dollar
bills are 6 inches long. Then measure to the closest letter or number
on the bill if it's an uneven divider of six. Then you get a bungie
thats a little shorter.

Ha ha! Funny thing was, a replacement belt was six bucks (inc.
shipping), and I found five in change kicking around inside the machine,
so it's sort of like having a warranty.

Humor aside, I think an emergency duct-tape belt might actually be
possible, but only if made entirely from the stuff; a taped-together belt
tends to bend around the join when it passes by the [tiny] motor pulley,
which then loses traction and chews away at the tape. A belt made
entirely from tape wouldn't have any weak spots (but the stretch might
simply be too great for the tensioner to handle anyway).

Re. pantyhose, I've only ever heard that as an emergency car fan belt
replacement; I do remember someone trying it (back when I was maybe 6
years old) but don't recall if it actually worked. I expect it stretches
too much to be really effective, but I suppose having the fan turning a
bit would be better than nothing and could get you home (possibly with
several cool-down stops).

cheers

Jules