Old October 30th 11, 10:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default dishwasher water doesn't get hot

My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

Old October 30th 11, 10:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Matt wrote:
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

Usually, yes.

Check the water float sensor. It sometimes gets clogged with crud such that
it doesn't move freely.

Pull out the float and remove the caked-on nastiness.

Old October 30th 11, 11:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 2:47*pm, Matt wrote:
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

In order for the element to heat the water it needs to be submerged.

Depends on the mfr & model as to how and when the heating element is
used for heating water.
In the dishwashers that I have owned (recently) it was necessary to
select "heated wash" or "heated rinse" to get the d/w element to heat
the water.

Not getting hot water could be a timer problem, a selection problem, a
switch problem, water level problem or a heating element problem.

Recently I was jammed up for time and got a local independent
appliance guy to help me out.
With respect to d/w "best practices", he recommend "Finish" as the
best performing d/w soap.
He also recommended running the hot water in the kitchen sink to purge
cool water from the d/w supply line.

These two suggestions, along with using Lemi-Shine, have greatly
improved d/w results.

cheers
Bob
Old October 31st 11, 12:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I've known people with dish washers. They have found it
useful to run the sink till the hot comes up from the
cellar.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old October 31st 11, 05:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2011 2:47 PM, Matt wrote:
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

the element will not necessarily be submerged. The main thing is to
have your incoming water at least 140 degrees.

--
Steve Barker

Old October 31st 11, 09:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Matt" wrote in message
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

Run the hot water in the sink first.

And wash your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher. A
dishwasher is more like a dish sanitizer...

Old October 31st 11, 10:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message ...

And wash your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher.

Really?

Should a car be washed before taking it to the carwash?

Should I wash my clothes before putting them in the washing machine?

Should I dry my clothes before putting them in the dryer?
Old October 31st 11, 11:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
"Matt" wrote in message
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

Run the hot water in the sink first.

And wash your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher. A
dishwasher is more like a dish sanitizer...

Balderdash!

With a suitable amount of TSP added to the dishwashing detergent, a
dishwasher WILL wash the dishes.

Somewhat exasperated with my current squeeze's hand washing before putting
dishes in the washer, I commanded: "STOP. Time to perform an experiment!"

Over her skepticism, we loaded the dishwasher with bowls encrusted with
dried chili, a skillet with baked-on egg remnants, glasses with milk residue
in the bottom, forks whose tines could not be seen inasmuch as they were
covered with some unknown food remnants, and a bunch of regular stuff.

Then we added my special concoction of powdered detergent, augmented by 15%
TSP.

Forty-five minutes later, the dishes came out super-clean, the cutlery was
sparkling, and my honey was VERY grateful (if you know what I mean).

When dishwashers first hit the market, manufacturers were perplexed that
they weren't selling. It was only THEN that they decided to do some market
research! They found that many (most?) women actually LIKED to wash dishes
by hand (God only knows why). The manufacturers changed their marketing push
to emphasize "sterilizing" rather than "washing" as a dishwasher's main
purpose.

Sales took off, because many (most?) women insist on "germ free" stuff (God
only knows why).

Old October 31st 11, 01:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2011 4:07 AM, Bill wrote:
"Matt" wrote in message
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

Run the hot water in the sink first.

And wash your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher. A dishwasher
is more like a dish sanitizer...

How clean your dishwasher gets your dishes is a function of many
variables. In my experience, with a Kitchen Aid dishwasher from 1987
and a Maytag model from 2007, if the water supply is at least 120
degrees, you use the proper amount of dishwasher powder, use a rinse
aid, have soft or only moderately rich mineral content in your water,
and just scrape all easily removable food off the dishes before properly
stacking them, even the "short" cycle gets dishes, utensils and
glassware mirror finish clean. It generally takes us 3-5 days to fully
load the dishwasher, and the oldest dishes have dried food residue on
them for all that time. Usually that includes cereal bowls that held
oatmeal or cream of wheat. They still get completely clean with the
"short" cycle.

My point is that it is impossible to generalize on the minimal
requirements to get good results from a dishwasher. However, if you are
going to bother to fully wash them before putting them in the dishwasher
prior to trying less extreme actions, you are just wasting water, power,
and time.
Old October 31st 11, 03:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2011 1:07 AM, Bill wrote:
"Matt" wrote in message
My dishes are not getting clean.

The water is not getting hot.

I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating
element was not hot and was not submerged.

Shouldn't the heating element be under water during operation?

Run the hot water in the sink first.

And wash your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher. A dishwasher
is more like a dish sanitizer...

LMAO!! Never have, never will. That's ridiculous!

--
Steve Barker