Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Wagon Tires?

At my son's school, one of the wagons that the band uses for equipment
had a tire that was destroyed (13" x 5"). I offered to get a new tire
and replace it. The only store that has a good selection of those sorts
of tires is Harbor Freight and they have a big problem keeping them in
stock.
http://www.harborfreight.com/13-inch-x-5-inch-heavy-duty-pneumatic-tire-37767.html.
You have to buy a whole wheel, tire and tube, to get the tire, though it
was less than $10 with one of the ubiquitous 20% off coupons. Then I had
to struggle to get the tire off the Harbor Freight wheel. The wheel on
the wagon has a split rim and it was easy to replace.

Is there any place to buy just wagon tires for less? Seems ridiculous to
have to buy a wheel every time you need just a tire, and throw the wheel
away. I did a lot of Googling but could not find a source.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2011 9:10 PM, SMS wrote:
[...]

try discount tire. they stock, and can get, weird trailer tires so may
be able to find one of these.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/25/2011 11:10 PM, SMS wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-inch-x-5-inch-heavy-duty-pneumatic-tire-37767.html.
You have to buy a whole wheel, tire and tube, to get the tire, though it
was less than $10 with one of the ubiquitous 20% off coupons. ...

Is there any place to buy just wagon tires for less? Seems ridiculous to
have to buy a wheel every time you need just a tire, and throw the wheel
away. I did a lot of Googling but could not find a source.

You can certainly get replacement tires at any place that handles ATV,
lawn&garden, etc., but it's unlikely (as in essentially no chance)
they'll be any cheaper or as cheap as the HF imports. They simply have
the channels set up and probably buy overstocks/blemished/distress sale
stock, etc., any way besides. The only real benefit is a local retailer
might get a little business and you don't have to dismount a tire to
remount it on another rim, but you personally will likely save no money;
in fact you'll likely pay more actual dollars.

Seems improbable and as you say a waste, but that's just the way of the
overseas bulk container shipping these days--an inexpensive item can be
built half-way around the world and shipped more cheaply than next door
locally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Redesign the wagon, so the HF wheel is used? And buy a
couple spares.

I am also offended, to have to buy the whole shebang, to get
the tire and tube. Sadly, so many things are shipped as a
package unit.

Hospitals have much the same problem, many scale larger.
Have to get a "tray" to get one pair of scissors. Can't use
the rest of the insturments on the next patient, every
patient gets a new, sealed "whatever".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SMS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.amazon.com/13x5-00-6-Carl.../dp/B0016IUCXU

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2011 11:11 AM, willshak wrote:
SMS wrote the following:
[...]

Uh, the nearest tire store that says they do industrial and farm tires?
(IOW, not a Discount Tire/BelleTire type of place). Do you still get
hardcopy phone books in your town? 5 minutes and a couple of phone calls
would probably have found what you need. They will even install for a
few bucks. Usually not expensive at all. I haven't seen a town yet
without a tire store like that within 20 miles.

--
aem sends...

Wagon J. Clarke Woodworking 8 September 7th 10 12:35 PM
Setting a wagon tire Wes[_5_] Metalworking 0 August 1st 10 12:58 AM
COVERED WAGON TOY BOX J T Woodworking 0 October 24th 05 05:29 AM
14" WAGON WHEEL J T Woodworking 0 September 14th 05 11:24 PM