Posted to alt.home.repair

Default repair broken aluminum storm window

I have a broken pane in the storm window, one of those aluminum frame
things that slides up and down in multiple channels.

Looks like a bb gun hole, then the whole glass pane cracked. But it
could also be a stone thrown from a lawnmower, I guess.

Anyway, I got the broken one out of the window. But i can't see how
to get the glass out of the frame. I've replaced a zillion glass
panes in wood frame windows, with the glaziers points and putty
approach, and done a few screens with the rubber strip and spline
tool. But this one doesn't come apart in any obvious way.

What do I try next?
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR writes:

I have a broken pane in the storm window, one of those aluminum frame
things that slides up and down in multiple channels.

Looks like a bb gun hole, then the whole glass pane cracked. But it
could also be a stone thrown from a lawnmower, I guess.

Anyway, I got the broken one out of the window. But i can't see how
to get the glass out of the frame. I've replaced a zillion glass
panes in wood frame windows, with the glaziers points and putty
approach, and done a few screens with the rubber strip and spline
tool. But this one doesn't come apart in any obvious way.

What do I try next?

Take it to your nearest hardware store.

They baffle me too, but I've take a few in for repair.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2011 11:56 AM, TimR wrote:
I have a broken pane in the storm window, one of those aluminum frame
things that slides up and down in multiple channels.

Looks like a bb gun hole, then the whole glass pane cracked. But it
could also be a stone thrown from a lawnmower, I guess.

Anyway, I got the broken one out of the window. But i can't see how
to get the glass out of the frame. I've replaced a zillion glass
panes in wood frame windows, with the glaziers points and putty
approach, and done a few screens with the rubber strip and spline
tool. But this one doesn't come apart in any obvious way.

What do I try next?

The windows I've repaired have mitered corners, with "L" shaped plastic
peg that holds each corner together...just pull apart at the corners,
trying not to break the plastic pegs. I've also found some sealing
strips at hdw stores, but not reliable choices of size/fit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 08:56:50 -0700, TimR wrote:
Anyway, I got the broken one out of the window. But i can't see how to
get the glass out of the frame. I've replaced a zillion glass panes in
wood frame windows, with the glaziers points and putty approach, and
done a few screens with the rubber strip and spline tool. But this one
doesn't come apart in any obvious way.

If there are no obvious edge clips then there might be L-shaped pieces at
the corners which are simply a friction fit inside the four edges of the
frame - try holding a piece of wood up to the edge of one against the
glass and gently tapping the other end with a hammer.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2011 8:56 AM, TimR wrote:
I have a broken pane in the storm window, one of those aluminum frame
things that slides up and down in multiple channels.

Looks like a bb gun hole, then the whole glass pane cracked. But it
could also be a stone thrown from a lawnmower, I guess.

Anyway, I got the broken one out of the window. But i can't see how
to get the glass out of the frame. I've replaced a zillion glass
panes in wood frame windows, with the glaziers points and putty
approach, and done a few screens with the rubber strip and spline
tool. But this one doesn't come apart in any obvious way.

What do I try next?

the gray rubber strip pulls out. don't know what it takes to put back,
i've never done one. The local HW store does it.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

I went to a big box store, might have been one with one word in the
name. They could sell me the glass cut to size, and if I brought in
the window would help me figure out how to get it apart.

I went to the other big box store, might have had two words, and they
could sell me the glass also, but it was their opinion these windows
couldn't be fixed at all.

I called the last remaining REAL hardware store in the next town, they
said bring it in, sure we can fix it. They're a bit expensive but
they have every obscure gadget known to mechanics in stock. They got
the old geezer out of the back, and he just shook his head. It's
staked right on the edge, into the little piece inside; no way he
wanted to touch it.

Driving home I passed a sign for an auto glass and repair shop. Worth
a stop. They said $20 for glass, $20 for labor, pick it up in a
couple of days. Sold! Hope it is as easy as they seemed to think.
It does not look easy to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 15:21:15 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

Driving home I passed a sign for an auto glass and repair shop. Worth
a stop. They said $20 for glass, $20 for labor, pick it up in a
couple of days. Sold! Hope it is as easy as they seemed to think.
It does not look easy to me.

Let us know in a few days is they worked miracles :-/

Chances are they will or they send it to a residential glass shop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Send it back to the place that passed the job along? That
would be interesting.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Driving home I passed a sign for an auto glass and repair
shop. Worth
a stop. They said $20 for glass, $20 for labor, pick it up
in a
couple of days. Sold! Hope it is as easy as they seemed
to think.
It does not look easy to me.

Let us know in a few days is they worked miracles :-/

Chances are they will or they send it to a residential glass
shop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 15:21:15 -0700, TimR wrote:
Driving home I passed a sign for an auto glass and repair shop. Worth a
stop. They said $20 for glass, $20 for labor, pick it up in a couple of
days. Sold! Hope it is as easy as they seemed to think. It does not
look easy to me.

I went to a similar place for some glass recently - I needed a piece
about 12x10" (I forget the exact dimensions) to replace a cracked pane in
our interior porch door. I knew that just one of our big DIY places in
town did glass (the others don't mess with it at all), but that it was
pretty expensive. I don't think they'd cut to size either, and I really
hate cutting glass myself if I can avoid it.

Guy behind the counter at the auto glass place charged me a buck and
actually seemed almost embarassed that he had to ask for money at all;
they took about 5 minutes to cut it to the size I needed. I'm almost
surprised that it didn't cost them more than that just in materials and
labor (I'll definitely use them again if I need any 'real' jobs, of
course :-)

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 10:56*am, TimR wrote:
I have a broken pane in the storm window, one of those aluminum frame
things that slides up and down in multiple channels.

Looks like a bb gun hole, then the whole glass pane cracked. *But it
could also be a stone thrown from a lawnmower, I guess.

Anyway, I got the broken one out of the window. *But i can't see how
to get the glass out of the frame. *I've replaced a zillion glass
panes in wood frame windows, with the glaziers points and putty
approach, and done a few screens with the rubber strip and spline
tool. *But this one doesn't come apart in any obvious way.

What do I try next?

There are l-shaped brackets at each corner that fit inot slots in the
frame. But, the brackets are staked into the frame so they don't fall
out. You will need to spread the frame a little bit from front to
back, to get the brackets out. Dontr it several times over 50 years
of home ownership, no big deal, takes 5 minutes max to get all the
brackets out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Driving home I passed a sign for an auto glass and repair shop. *Worth
a stop. *They said $20 for glass, $20 for labor, pick it up in a
couple of days. *Sold! *Hope it is as easy as they seemed to think.
It does not look easy to me.

Let us know in a few days is they worked miracles :-/

Chances are they will or they send it to a residential glass shop.

They called by noon the next day. It was ready.

The staked spots on two of the four corners (diagonal ones) are
slightly enlarged. Looks like they took it apart there.

I suspect I could have done this one myself, given two days and some
bad words. Lots easier to let the pros do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Driving home I passed a sign for an auto glass and repair shop. *Worth
a stop. *They said $20 for glass, $20 for labor, pick it up in a
couple of days. *Sold! *Hope it is as easy as they seemed to think.
It does not look easy to me.

Let us know in a few days is they worked miracles :-/

Chances are they will or they send it to a residential glass shop.

They called by noon the next day. It was ready.

The staked spots on two of the four corners (diagonal ones) are
slightly enlarged. Looks like they took it apart there.

I suspect I could have done this one myself, given two days and some
bad words. Lots easier to let the pros do it.

I'm happy for you and that things worked out.

In the morning I have a pool pump and flitter unit being replaced. I
could do it, but choose to have the pro do it. Sometimes that is
best. I can do other things...

Thanks for the follow-up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I just took my broken window to be fixed and was told it would cost $134.00!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ace hardware do not fix windows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/6/2016 8:05 PM, wrote:
I just took my broken window to be fixed and was told it would cost $134.00!

Window repair can run from $30 to $300 depending on type, size, etc.