Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

On Oct 25, 5:47*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
DD_BobK wrote:

"I took it to be a generalized statement, subject to refinement for
specific cases."

Nice tap dance........

but despite your "performance" any tapered pipe thread joint, other
than NPTF (dryseal), needs a sealant.
Which would be teflon tape or dope. *Teflon tape is a sealant not
merely a lubricant.

To continue to insist that pipe threads do not need sealant is to
mislead & misinform.

Heh! Nice tap dance...

I never said that pipe threads do not need a sealant. To claim that I did is
far worse than claiming I misinformed.

So you are dropping your claim of the threads deforming?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Oct 25, 5:47 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
DD_BobK wrote:

"I took it to be a generalized statement, subject to refinement for
specific cases."

Nice tap dance........

but despite your "performance" any tapered pipe thread joint, other
than NPTF (dryseal), needs a sealant.
Which would be teflon tape or dope. Teflon tape is a sealant not
merely a lubricant.

To continue to insist that pipe threads do not need sealant is to
mislead & misinform.

Heh! Nice tap dance...

I never said that pipe threads do not need a sealant. To claim that
I did is far worse than claiming I misinformed.

So you are dropping your claim of the threads deforming?

Er, no.

If I drop a claim, I'll say so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Evan wrote:
...snipped...
That might be the case on a Navy ship boiler system where the
steam is being used for very sensitive applications like the
expanding steam turbine turning gear for propulsion... But in
a home or commercial heating system using steam -- there is
a lot more harmful stuff in the _water_ than a bit of grease getting
past a failed gasket on a valve at a radiator...

I've lived in 3 homes with steam heat, replaced a few valves and complete
radiators in that time, as well as similar chores for neighbors, also helped
install a new boiler. What kind of residential radiator valve uses a gasket?
I've never seen one that did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Evan, frank wrote:
Wrong. Teflon tape is not toprovide sealant. It is to equalize friction.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...pe-667462-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 3:14:11 PM UTC-5, frank wrote:
replying to Evan, frank wrote:
Wrong. Teflon tape is not toprovide sealant. It is to equalize friction.
--

You're too late! 6 years ago, Evan fell into a pit of rabid gerbils and was eaten alive before he could be rescued. Authorities described the event as a four legged furry piranha attack. It was a real tragedy. (~_~

[8~{} Uncle Careful Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Aug 2017 20:14:02 GMT, frank
m wrote:

replying to Evan, frank wrote:
Wrong. Teflon tape is not toprovide sealant. It is to equalize friction.

Actually, it is and does both.