DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Emergency power transfer switch wiring question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/330698-re-emergency-power-transfer-switch-wiring-question.html)

zxcvbob October 18th 11 04:36 PM

Emergency power transfer switch wiring question

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 08:56:39 -0400, SMF
wrote:

I had an electrician tell me today that the installation of my
emergency power transfer switch is not to code. This was done by a
different electrician about 4 years ago, it is for a generator.

The model is on this PDF page (the last one). It is basically a throw
switch between the service entrance and the panel box

www.geindustrial.com/catalog/buylog/02_BL.pdf

He told me the service entrance wire has had its ground cut however
the ground from the panel box is attached. He said it is "safe" but
not up to code and maybe an inspector might see it one day if I sell
the house. Can someone please shed some light on what problems this
might make in terms of safety (is the outside wire not grounded, fire
risk ect).

Thanks much

The grounding electrode conductors cannot be spliced (that's not
totally true, but close.) So if that's what you mean by "its ground
cut", you have a problem but it's pretty easily remedied by running a
new GEC or welding-by-an-approved-process the old one. That really
ought to be fixed, but maybe I'm interpreting your post wrong.

I wouldn't worry about the "separately derived system" part until it
actually becomes an issue.

-Bob