Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Protecting garage floor from salt dripping off car and follow up for earlier question..

Not interested in nor can I afford the garage floor coatings that's all the
rage...Just trying to come up with something simple to put under the car
this winter to protect the concrete from salt...The concrete is crumbling a
bit where the tires sit...The garage is about 5 years old if that
matters...Poly would be to slick..A chunk of Astr-Turf or similar ?? Thanks
for any help...Sorry for bringing up winter so early but it comes quick here
in Maine...LOL..

As a side note I asked months ago about replacing an ancient 1960's burner
in an American Standard boiler..Believe it or not it was STILL running but I
couldn't get parts for it anymore...The old one sat on a lip and I asked
about drilling holes and mounting a new Beckett Burner...Well , did that the
other day..Took the front panel off and marked and drilled holes and J B
Welded some bolts on the inside threads poking out ..Used the JB Weld to
keep the bolts in place...Gave it a GOOD cleaning and put the front panel
back on...Slid the new burner with gasket on , put the nuts on and tighened
them , connected it up , hit the switch and presto , runs like a
charm....Thanks for the advice....What a GREAT feeling to do something
yourself...Not to mention the $$$$$ saved...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:42:29 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

Not interested in nor can I afford the garage floor coatings that's all the
rage...Just trying to come up with something simple to put under the car
this winter to protect the concrete from salt...The concrete is crumbling a
bit where the tires sit...The garage is about 5 years old if that
matters...Poly would be to slick..A chunk of Astr-Turf or similar ?? Thanks
for any help...Sorry for bringing up winter so early but it comes quick here
in Maine...LOL..

Horse (barn) stall rubber mats?

http://www.humanemfg.com/products.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
Not interested in nor can I afford the garage floor coatings that's all
the rage...Just trying to come up with something simple to put under the
car this winter to protect the concrete from salt...The concrete is
crumbling a bit where the tires sit...The garage is about 5 years old if
that matters...Poly would be to slick..A chunk of Astr-Turf or similar ??
Thanks for any help...Sorry for bringing up winter so early but it comes
quick here in Maine...LOL..

Even plain old floor paint would give some protection.

As a side note I asked months ago about replacing an ancient 1960's burner
in an American Standard boiler..Believe it or not it was STILL running but
I couldn't get parts for it anymore...The old one sat on a lip and I asked
about drilling holes and mounting a new Beckett Burner...Well , did that
the other day..Took the front panel off and marked and drilled holes and
J B Welded some bolts on the inside threads poking out ..Used the JB Weld
to keep the bolts in place...Gave it a GOOD cleaning and put the front
panel back on...Slid the new burner with gasket on , put the nuts on and
tighened them , connected it up , hit the switch and presto , runs like a
charm....Thanks for the advice....What a GREAT feeling to do something
yourself...Not to mention the $$$$$ saved...

Get back to us next spring. I'm curious as to how much more efficient the
new burner is. Anyone with old equipment can usually save a bundle on fuel
cost by upgrading.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I await your check for 5 grand for a new system...Thanks...LOL...It doesn't
run as long to bring up the temp in the boiler now..That I do know.....When
I can AFFORD to replace it I will...Not an option now...Considering we only
use about 400 gallons a year for heat and hot water in our little ranch the
pay back would be long after I'm gone at my age...I have replaced all the
windows , doors and added insulation to the attic over the past few years as
we could afford it and that has helped ALOT...We used to use around 500
gallons...Also looking for a used pellet stove if I could get one for the
right price...New ones are still to much for us at this time...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote

[...]

Payback may be sooner than you think, especially as the price of oil climbs.
The new burner you just put in may be better than the old one, thus my
request to report back.

I had my system replaced two years ago. The state offered 0% financing for
10 years. My monthly payment is $20 less that I'd be paying for oil right
now. I saved 39% in oil use. It would be stupid for me to pass that up,
putting a small amount of cash in my pocket and a new, better heating system
to boot. My oil use was 850 gallons a year though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote
Also looking for a used pellet stove if I could get one for the
right price...New ones are still to much for us at this time...

Ton of pellets is equal to about 120 gallons of oil. They seem to be a
practical alternative if the stove can be paid for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:
Not interested in nor can I afford the garage floor coatings that's
all the rage...Just trying to come up with something simple to put
under the car this winter to protect the concrete from salt...The
concrete is crumbling a bit where the tires sit...The garage is about
5 years old if that matters...Poly would be to slick..A chunk of
Astr-Turf or similar ?? Thanks for any help...Sorry for bringing up
winter so early but it comes quick here in Maine...LOL..

Whatever you put down, you have to guard against it leaking which is why
carpeting probably will not work.

How about hosing down the tires before you pull into the garage?

Oh, and you should wash down the existing floor at your earliest
convenience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:
[...]

I use huge cardboard boxes layed out flat on the floor, which absorb most of the
water brought in with the car. You could put plastic under the cardboard to
reduce water getting to the concrete. Boxes for refridgerators, sofas, etc. are
what to look for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
[...]

Investing money in repairs/improvements to the building envelope are
often a batter way to spend money than running out and having a new
heating system installed...

With modern efficient boilers you can get away with a smaller system
if you improve your building's heat loss characteristics...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 4:42*pm, "benick" wrote:
[...]

Painting the floor sounds like an option...

If you don't want to be doing that then you will have to regularly
wash the
floor by hosing it down...

Using carpeting of any type will only provide a medium for the salt-
rich
liquids to concentrate and take longer to dry...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

If Maine would do that I would do it BUT that's not an option so...

850 gallons a year...Holy crap....LOL...I'm glad I have a 30 by 42 split
level ranch with attached garage...Plenty for the wife and I...Was plenty
when the boy was still here even....

I have been LOOKING at those new pellet boilers..Kinda pricey
though...Anyone seen one in use ??? I always leery of new things...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"benick" wrote
Also looking for a used pellet stove if I could get one for the
right price...New ones are still to much for us at this time...

Ton of pellets is equal to about 120 gallons of oil. They seem to be a
practical alternative if the stove can be paid for.

Yea I looked around but at 1500 and up for new I can't do it right
now..Construction has completely died up here and now starting over in a new
job...Getting by but just barely...Always got an eye out for a used one
though...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
Not interested in nor can I afford the garage floor coatings that's all
the rage...Just trying to come up with something simple to put under
the
car this winter to protect the concrete from salt...The concrete is
crumbling a bit where the tires sit...The garage is about 5 years old
if
that matters...Poly would be to slick..A chunk of Astr-Turf or similar
??
[...]

My thoughts exactly and I can do it ALL muself...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
benick wrote:
Not interested in nor can I afford the garage floor coatings that's
all the rage...Just trying to come up with something simple to put
under the car this winter to protect the concrete from salt...The
concrete is crumbling a bit where the tires sit...The garage is about
5 years old if that matters...Poly would be to slick..A chunk of
Astr-Turf or similar ?? Thanks for any help...Sorry for bringing up
winter so early but it comes quick here in Maine...LOL..

Whatever you put down, you have to guard against it leaking which is why
carpeting probably will not work.

How about hosing down the tires before you pull into the garage?

Oh, and you should wash down the existing floor at your earliest
convenience.

Yea I washed it last spring...I wasn't thinking carpet per say..I was
thinking that plastic Astro Turf stuff you see on pool decks and such...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
benick wrote:
[...]

Not a bad idea...I can get LOTS of cardboard at work to keep changing
it...Thanks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Evan" wrote in message
On Sep 27, 4:42 pm, "benick" wrote:
[...]

Don't really want to paint...Once you start , well you know...The studded
tires would wear it off pretty quick too I think...