Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking to valuate residential propane tank

Hi all

We have a residential propane tank beside our rural cabin. It was
filled, at least partially, with fuel for inspection and testing when
we bought the place about 7 years ago. We guesstimate the tank to be
150 or 200 gallon - the smaller horizontal cylinder style on
"braces". We are checking our paperwork, but we believe we were
charged for 100 gallons of propane during the fill/test.

The existing propane heater, etc were in sad shape, and when we
finally replaced them we opted for electric appliances instead. The
propane lines were capped and the tank has sat unused since then.

We suspect we will never use it, and want to either sell it or donate
it to a needy cause. If we donate it, we were hoping to get a receipt
for tax purposes.

We are looking to determine what fair market value would be for a
(call it) 200 gallon tank with an estimated 100 gallons of propane in
it? Obviously I can guesstimate the value of the propane from local
prices - but can I assume the propane would still be usable, or is
being partially full a bad thing in this case? Maybe somebody has a
similar tank and can remember what they paid for it initially, minus
the fuel?

Tnx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:25:28 -0700 (PDT), gwandsh
wrote:

[...]

Well, being only "half full" a propane tank is still 100% filled with
propane, so should not be an issue . (by which I mean there is no air,
so no moisture and no oxidation degradation of either the tank or the
fuel - what is not full of liquid is full of gas)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My understanding is that one of the advantages of propane for backup generators
is that it doesn't go bad like gasoline over time. So, the propane is likely
fine.

Can you tell how full a tank is by tapping on the side?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/2011 6:25 PM, gwandsh wrote:
[...]

In my area the tank alone would go for approximately $225.00. The
additional 100 gallons of propane would probably be about $190.00
replacement cost. I realize that that totals $415.00 but $275 to $300 is
what I would expect to get for it from someone close by who had a way to
move it.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 7:25*pm, gwandsh wrote:
[...]

LOL...

Call a propane company to come empty the tank, then have it hauled
away as scrap...

You can't move those tanks when they have fuel in them...

Lots of liability involved in selling such things, wouldn't want to
touch
it with a thousand foot pole...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan wrote:
On Sep 26, 7:25 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
I just shake my head reading this threads.
OP could use the propnae for BBQ until tank empties.
Tank will go to scrap yard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 12:25*am, gwandsh wrote:
[...]

You will be lucky to find anyone willing to transport a part filled
propane tank.
It might even be illegal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You may well discover that most of the gas has leaked away anyway over
the years. If the tank has any rust it will be of no value, even
dangerous in fact.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:56:44 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

[...]

Contact local propane vendors and ask their advice. They know the
rules and may have charitable contacts.
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

gwandsh wrote:
[...]

If 100 gallons filled it then it is a 125 gallon tank...LPG tanks are only
filled to 80% capacity. Tractor Supply sells 125 gallon LPG tanks for $350.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

You will be lucky to find anyone willing to transport a part filled
propane tank.
It might even be illegal.

LOL!

When I lived in Mexico everyone used LPG for hot water & cooking. Usually
had two 40? 20? kilo tanks; when one was empty, they'd switch to the other
and get the empty filled. Some had big tanks (gas estacionario - stationary
gas) and the gas company would send out a truck to fill those. Definitely a
rich neighborhood perk, though.

There were two ways to get the empty filled...haul it off to the gas company
yourself (a real PITA) or let someone else do it. The "someone else" was
some guy with a cart powered either by a burro or himself (bicycle). He'd
go through a neighborhood until he got a cart full of empties, go get them
filled, bring them back and charge what he paid for the gas plus a dollar or
so extra for the service.

That had been the methodology for decades. Then the city fathers decided it
was dangerous to have those carts with LPG gas on the streets so they made
it illegal. Cars full of gasoline didn't bother them, carts with LPG did.
Did the carts disappear? Of course not, the guy just charged more for his
now illegal service.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Pretty much all pressure tabks in the us have a date stamp. I believe
propane tank dates are 12 years from oriignal manufacture and every 5
years after that. But I think they can be restamped by an authorized
inspector without a pressure test. High pressure type cylinders
require a pressure test. Propane is low pressure. So yours is
probably out of date. Look around the top of the tank for a stamp.

How far is it from your grill? You could use up the existing propane
in your grill if you can get a line from the tank to the grill.
Forget about transfering it yourself as propane converts to a liquid
at a fairly low pressure so you need a pump to move it from tank to
tank. You can use soft copper as a line if you have any handy. Like
an old hvac refrigerant line.

Even though it's out of date it's still valuable if it's in good
condition. However propane weighs about 4 lbs per gallon and the tank
probably weighs a good bit it's self. So you're looking at 4 or 500
lbs there. Not easy to move.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote

Can you tell how full a tank is by tapping on the side?

The simple way is to look at the E/F gauge on the top of the tank.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 10:34*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Bob F" wrote

Can you tell how full a tank is by tapping on the side?

The simple way is to look at the E/F gauge on the top of the tank.

Steve

If the tank has one and it's a float guage. Pressure guages are just
about useless on a propane tank. But I'm thinking the op would have
mentioned a guage if there was one.

Otherwise you are trying to find the liquid level and tapping is about
as good as anything. You can vent a bunch of it if it's humid out and
look for a condensation line. But that's not really a very good thing
to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/27/2011 10:45 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Sep 27, 10:34 am, "Steve wrote:
"Bob wrote

Can you tell how full a tank is by tapping on the side?

The simple way is to look at the E/F gauge on the top of the tank.

Steve

If the tank has one and it's a float guage. Pressure guages are just
about useless on a propane tank. But I'm thinking the op would have
mentioned a guage if there was one.

Otherwise you are trying to find the liquid level and tapping is about
as good as anything. You can vent a bunch of it if it's humid out and
look for a condensation line. But that's not really a very good thing
to do.

Check it on a warm humid morning after a cold night, works best if the
sun hits it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You are going to have to move it if you sell it. Only qualified people
are permitted to move them legally which usually means the local gas
company. The will pump out the gas for you and pay you for it
unfortunately at current wholesale rate.This may still be a good deal
since the gas ws bought 7 years ago. They will probably buy the tank
from you too.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I use propane and own my 500 gal. tank.

Tanks are generally sold in 125, 250, 500, 750, 1000 gallon sizes.
You likely have a 125 or 250.

The gas does not go bad.

The guy who told you to scrap the tank is an idiot. A local propane
company tried to sell me a 500 gallon used tank that was over 50 years
old. They inspected it and wanted $750 for it. I told them what to
do with it, went to a different company and bought a brand new tank
for $900. That was several years ago before steel prices went high.
I know it would cost much more now. I regularly see used tanks sell
for half the price of new tanks at auctions (or less) and they sell
fast.

Did they FILL the tank, or just add 100 gallons? Tanks only hole 80%
of their listed amount, thus a 500 gallon only can hold 400 gallons.
Yea, that is misleading.....

I agrees, you can not legally move a filled tank. 100 gallons is
probably managable, but I surely would not try to move any larger one
with gas in it. Propane companies will pump it out and pay you for
it, minus their costs, which means you may not get too much money.

Why not connect a garage heater and use it there, or as others said
connect your BBQ and have enough gas for years...

BTW: Where are you located? If you're anywhere close, I might buy it.

The gallon rating should be stamped on it somewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm in the process of doing a tank switch. My tank is a 500 & they came
to paint it because it is rusty . Near one leg the rust has made the
tank thin. We decided to go to a 350 . The tank has to be down to 5
percent before they can move it By law In Ohio. Some one mentioned about
a float BS You can only have a pressure gauge on propane !

Jr.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 4:35*am, (Jerry Ohio Also) wrote:
I'm in the process of doing a tank switch. My tank is a 500 & they came
to paint it because it is rusty . Near one leg the rust has made the
tank thin. We decided to go to a 350 . The tank has to be down to 5
percent before they can move it By law In Ohio. Some one mentioned about
a float BS *You can only have a pressure gauge on propane !

Jr.

Propane is a liquid at a relatively low pressure. Liquids don't
compress. So the pressure doesn't change much as the contents are
used. It's hard to have an accurate pressure guage on propane.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2011 4:35 AM, Jerry Ohio Also wrote:
I'm in the process of doing a tank switch. My tank is a 500& they came
to paint it because it is rusty . Near one leg the rust has made the
tank thin. We decided to go to a 350 . The tank has to be down to 5
percent before they can move it By law In Ohio. Some one mentioned about
a float BS You can only have a pressure gauge on propane !

Jr.

Float gauges are pretty common. Maybe you are thinking of something else?

http://www.propane101.com/floatgauge.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 8:10*am, George wrote:
On 9/28/2011 4:35 AM, Jerry Ohio Also wrote:

I'm in the process of doing a tank switch. My tank is a 500& *they came
to paint it because it is rusty . Near one leg the rust has made the
tank thin. We decided to go to a 350 . The tank has to be down to 5
percent before they can move it By law In Ohio. Some one mentioned about
a float BS *You can only have a pressure gauge on propane !

Jr.

Float gauges are pretty common. Maybe you are thinking of something else?

http://www.propane101.com/floatgauge.htm

Thanks to all who responded. As the OP, I had hoped that I might be
able to offer it to a neighbor who lost his home recently and has to
rebuild. Sounds like it might be more hassle and cost for him to get
it moved than I expected. And certainly I don't want to try moving it
without knowing exactly what I am doing.

I will check with the local propane company to see if they have a
price on the tank and contents. I have some reservations about doing
this, as they are the only game in town, and are reputed to be
marginally shady. I expect they will try to tell me it is worthless,
or charge me to remove the fuel and tank. In that case, I would try
to keep it as a filler for my grill tank - likely it would last for
years. If I do try to use it as a source for filling small tanks, can
I purchase the hose and valve to adapt it to this use? I had always
thought they were restricted to licensed commercial outlets? This
would be in WA state.

Tnx again

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 4:35*am, (Jerry Ohio Also) wrote:
I'm in the process of doing a tank switch. My tank is a 500 & they came
to paint it because it is rusty . Near one leg the rust has made the
tank thin. We decided to go to a 350 . The tank has to be down to 5
percent before they can move it By law In Ohio. Some one mentioned about
a float BS *You can only have a pressure gauge on propane !

Jr.

Propane is a liquid. The pressure in the tank will remain constant
relative to temperature until the last drop of liquid turns to gas so
a pressure guage is useless.

JImmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2011 11:42 PM, JIMMIE wrote:
On Sep 28, 4:35 am, (Jerry Ohio Also) wrote:
I'm in the process of doing a tank switch. My tank is a 500& they came
to paint it because it is rusty . Near one leg the rust has made the
tank thin. We decided to go to a 350 . The tank has to be down to 5
percent before they can move it By law In Ohio. Some one mentioned about
a float BS You can only have a pressure gauge on propane !

Jr.

Propane is a liquid. The pressure in the tank will remain constant
relative to temperature until the last drop of liquid turns to gas so
a pressure guage is useless.

JImmie

They do use pressure gauges for propane tanks, I had one. Once the
needle starts to go down it's at about 30% full.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 7:04*pm, gwandsh wrote:
On Sep 28, 8:10*am, George wrote:

[...]

It's not really possible to transfer much of the propane to a smaller
tank without a pump. You'd be better off getting a piece of soft
copper tubing or the newer flexible gas line to connect your tank to
your grill. How far from your tank to your grill?

Most of the propane in your tank is a liquid. As you draw off gas
propane some of the liquid propane turns to gas to replace it. If you
pay attention at a propane filling station they have an electric pump
that draws from the bottom of their tank.