Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Terra Nova

Tonight at 8PM on FOX. I hope it is half as good as the hype.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Metspitzer typed:
Tonight at 8PM on FOX. I hope it is half as good as the
hype.

I don't care what you hope; no on topc question, get lost marky

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in
:

Tonight at 8PM on FOX. I hope it is half as good as the hype.

the teaser reminded me of Jurassic Park.
from what one of the lead characters said on a morning show,it's going to
be "politically correct" sci-fi,no killing dinosaurs,just non-lethal
stuff,plus I suspect a bunch of ecological propaganda,stuff about Earth too
polluted to live on....PETA must have gotten to them.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 26, 1:16*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:

Anyway, here's to Terra Nova and the hope that some good Sci Fi will return
to the airwaves.

Falling Skies and Alphas are both good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 11:14*am, Metspitzer wrote:
Tonight at 8PM on FOX. *I hope it is half as good as the hype.

Eight year old boys like dinos...WTF!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/2011 7:17 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:
On Sep 26, 11:14 am, wrote:
Tonight at 8PM on FOX. I hope it is half as good as the hype.

Eight year old boys like dinos...WTF!

Kinda dumb for them to pick a landing time before the big meteor-caused
die-off.
Just sayin'

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/2011 1:16 PM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
Tonight at 8PM on FOX. I hope it is half as good as the hype.

I'm always interested in "rebuilding society elsewhere" stuff. My interest
in carpentry and building stuff was partly fueled by reading Jules Verne
(The Mysterious Island, 20,000 Leagues) and HG Wells (Things to Come, When
the Sleeper wakes) and even Robinson Crusoe. Around age 16 I really got
the bug and built a darkroom with plumbing(!) - it was plastic, but it
didn't leak - a wall of cabinets in the garage, etc. I really do think that
in a lot of males this "shelter building" stuff is genetic and appears when
guys are of marrying age.

Rueful chuckle. I grew up in construction, so even though I was never a
master carpenter or woodworker (maybe a competent framer at best), I did
have some skill sets. In college, I build a dorm loft bed frame and some
other dorm room furniture for the actual 'girl next door' from back
home, that had come down to the same college a year after me. It wasn't
until a couple years later in anthropology class that I realized in some
cultures, building a bed for someone was pretty close to a marriage
proposal.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:14:28 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote Re OT Terra Nova:

Tonight at 8PM on FOX. I hope it is half as good as the hype.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote Re OT Terra Nova:

Tonight at 8PM on FOX. I hope it is half as good as the hype.

Thanks!

For a "new world" settlement in the middle of a pre-historic forest of large
trees, I noted with interest that the roof of the "head guy's" building was
sheathed in OSB sheets, and all the population's houses were build with
walls made of cardboard SONO tubes. Talk of NOT using the resources
available at hand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 11:14 am, *wrote:
Tonight at 8PM on FOX. *I hope it is half as good as the hype.

Eight year old boys like dinos...WTF!

Kinda dumb for them to pick a landing time before the big meteor-caused
die-off.
Just sayin'

--
aem sends...

LOL, not only that but they landed right in the middle of Yellowstone
park just before it blasts off again.

-C-

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Tonight at 8PM on FOX. I hope it is half as good as the hype.

Over population and pollution. I guess our leaders are looking for a
time riff too.

There is one hidden in Georgia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

(Actually the plan is to kill 6 billion people)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Country" wrote in message news:1e742c2e-0fb2-473b-8a8f-
On Sep 26, 8:43 pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/26/2011 7:17 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:

stuff snipped

Eight year old boys like dinos...WTF!

Kinda dumb for them to pick a landing time before the big meteor-caused
die-off.
Just sayin'

--
aem sends...

LOL, not only that but they landed right in the middle of Yellowstone
park just before it blasts off again.

I recorded it and watched through the moment the guy hands his kid an orange
in a scene stolen straight from "Soylent Green" which caused me to switch it
off. From what I understand they traveled backward in our time. No
temporal paradox as a result? Not bloody likely. Should I hit erase or is
this show going to be an "eight seasons and two movies" sort of deal?

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Well, not in America. You can build a whole house for a woman and she'll
move into it, no questions asked - with her BOYFRIEND!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Terra Nova (now Radial Arm Saw)

"Bob F" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
I'd spend hours picking through the hardwoods at my local 84 lumber
for well-grained pieces and began assembling a mighty armada of power
tools, the most useful being a radial arm saw.

Interesting. I've found the radial arm saw to be way less useful than the

table
saw, and almost everything I'd do in the radial arm saw can be done with

my
mitre saw. What do you find the radial arm saw most useful for. (I

actually
have mine forsale now)

I nearly got sterilized from a kickback on a table saw so I'm not a big fan
of them. The RAS can use shaping blades to create molding (way too
dangerous, it turns out) and can cut miters without having to have a
separate unit. I found it easier to change blades than a table saw (well,
at least the one we had) and I liked the idea of moving the motorized blade
over the stock rather than pushing the stock over the blade.

I only has a few problems like the rare time I had the depth of cut setting
wrong and the motor head and blade "walked" (actually it was lightning fast)
towards me as the saw teeth dug into the surface of the stock and pulled the
head right at me. Surprised the living shi+ out of me but not as much as
when a shaper blade hit the column support, broke off and embedded itself
about an inch deep in the overhead joist. One of my nine lives got used up
that day.

I don't use it very much now except to cut large rawhide bones into smaller
chunks for the dog and the occasional 2 by 4, but back in the day when I
built a lot more than I do now, I found it very useful for cutting tenons
and lots more.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 09:18:13 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
[...]

1) You're not supposed to be standing behind the work piece.
2) If you think a RAS doesn't kick you're a) mistaken b) lucky
3) Table saws can cut molding, as well (not recommended, either)
4) There is little difference in the changing of the blade (if you think this
makes one better than the other, you're loopy)
5) A RAS is not nearly as accurate as a TS. The carriage/arm is not nearly as
stiff as the trunions of even a mediocre TS.
6)One (small) advantage of a RAS is that you can set the thickness of the
material left on a dado so the outside dimensions of a box, for example, come
out right.

I have both and would *never* buy a RAS, if I didn't already have one.

I only has a few problems like the rare time I had the depth of cut setting
wrong and the motor head and blade "walked" (actually it was lightning fast)
towards me as the saw teeth dug into the surface of the stock and pulled the
head right at me. Surprised the living shi+ out of me but not as much as
when a shaper blade hit the column support, broke off and embedded itself
about an inch deep in the overhead joist. One of my nine lives got used up
that day.

That's common. ...and you don't have to set the depth "wrong" to have it
happen.

I don't use it very much now except to cut large rawhide bones into smaller
chunks for the dog and the occasional 2 by 4, but back in the day when I
built a lot more than I do now, I found it very useful for cutting tenons
and lots more.

A TS is far superior. ...and safer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
[...]

That seems to me to be the biggest danger of a radial arm saw. If the wood
flexes or lifts, the blades cuts deeper, which can cause it to grab as you
describe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 2:08*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

I find that I have to turn off my sense of logic to enjoy any movie or
tv show. I watched that "Falling Skies" series and saw so much
stupidity (and commercials) I had to try too hard to see any
entertainment value at all.

Can you believe that good sized group of humans hiding from a bunch of
aliens that are out to destroy them and only a few of the humans are
armed? I'd have every man, woman and most of the kids ready to fight
off an attack.

-C-