DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fog Horn when turning on faucet or flushing toilets (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/328715-fog-horn-when-turning-faucet-flushing-toilets.html)

trax September 19th 11 12:46 AM

Fog Horn when turning on faucet or flushing toilets

Recently we have been having a fog horn noise whenever we turn on a
faucet or flush toilets. Any suggestions as to what could cause this
to happen and how to stop it. This seems to happen every year and
continues for about a week or two, but this time it is continuing to
happen. It has been doing this for about 1 month. The fog horn noise
will go for about 1 minute and then stop and it is not everytime but
most of the time.
Thank

hr(bob) [email protected] September 19th 11 02:21 AM

On Sep 18, 6:46*pm, trax wrote:
Recently we have been having a fog horn noise whenever we turn on a
faucet or flush toilets. *Any suggestions as to what could cause this
to happen and how to stop it. *This seems to happen every year and
continues for about a week or two, but this time it is continuing to
happen. *It has been doing this for about 1 month. *The fog horn noise
will go for about 1 minute and then stop and it is not everytime but
most of the time.
Thank

Does it occur when you use both hot and cold water, only one of them,
where is it coming from? Did you try turning off the water for the
whole house and then opening it again, etc. More detective work on
your part would make it more likely for you to get a sensible answer.

Ed Pawlowski September 19th 11 03:21 AM

"trax" wrote in message
Recently we have been having a fog horn noise whenever we turn on a
faucet or flush toilets. Any suggestions as to what could cause this
to happen and how to stop it. This seems to happen every year and
continues for about a week or two, but this time it is continuing to
happen. It has been doing this for about 1 month. The fog horn noise
will go for about 1 minute and then stop and it is not everytime but
most of the time.
Thank

Since it happens with any flow, I suspect the main line Could be the washer
in the main vale. Try closing it, then opening it. If a well, other
factors may come in. tank bladder. check valve.

Ken[_6_] September 19th 11 01:08 PM

trax wrote:
Recently we have been having a fog horn noise whenever we turn on a
faucet or flush toilets. Any suggestions as to what could cause this
to happen and how to stop it. This seems to happen every year and
continues for about a week or two, but this time it is continuing to
happen. It has been doing this for about 1 month. The fog horn noise
will go for about 1 minute and then stop and it is not everytime but
most of the time.
Thank

The noise is not coming from the pressure regulator, is it?? You
probably have one, and some are famous for making noise. They vibrate
depending upon the back pressure, and that varies due to the water
heater temperature/pressure. If so, try increasing the pressure by
tightening the adjustment screw a turn or so.

trax September 19th 11 03:27 PM

Fog Horn when turning on faucet or flushing toilets

On Sep 18, 6:21*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Sep 18, 6:46*pm, trax wrote:

Recently we have been having a fog horn noise whenever we turn on a
faucet or flush toilets. *Any suggestions as to what could cause this
to happen and how to stop it. *This seems to happen every year and
continues for about a week or two, but this time it is continuing to
happen. *It has been doing this for about 1 month. *The fog horn noise
will go for about 1 minute and then stop and it is not everytime but
most of the time.
Thank

Does it occur when you use both hot and cold water, only one of them,
where is it coming from? *Did you try turning off the water for the
whole house and then opening it again, etc. *More detective work on
your part would make it more likely for you to get a sensible answer.

Yes, the noise occurs with both hot and cold water. I will try
turning off the water for the whole house and then opening it again
and give you the results. Thanks for your input.

trax September 19th 11 03:31 PM

On Sep 19, 5:08*am, Ken wrote:
trax wrote:
Recently we have been having a fog horn noise whenever we turn on a
faucet or flush toilets. *Any suggestions as to what could cause this
to happen and how to stop it. *This seems to happen every year and
continues for about a week or two, but this time it is continuing to
happen. *It has been doing this for about 1 month. *The fog horn noise
will go for about 1 minute and then stop and it is not everytime but
most of the time.
Thank

* * * * The noise is not coming from the pressure regulator, is it?? *You
probably have one, and some are famous for making noise. *They vibrate
depending upon the back pressure, and that varies due to the water
heater temperature/pressure. *If so, try increasing the pressure by
tightening the adjustment screw a turn or so.

Thank you for your response. I don't believe the noise is coming from
the pressure regulator. I will try increasing the pressure by
tightening the adjustment screw a turn. Also, every year around June
the water company opens up a water source (located behind my property
line) to release water. I've asked some of the neighbors if they were
having this noise. They are not......

Stormin Mormon September 20th 11 05:24 PM

Fog Horn when turning on faucet or flushing toilets

Loose faucet washer, in a shut off valve.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus