Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Leaking Amerigas Propane Tank,--Amazing Service

One of my propane tanks for my grill would leak every time the hose was
connected to it and the valve was opened. Probably the rubber seal was
bad. I didn't know if Home Depot would exchange it for me since it was
only half full and I had bought it probably nine months ago.

I called Amerigas. The lady on the phone was really nice, but she did
not understand that the tank wasn't leaking except when it was connected
to the hose. She started advising me to not use any light switches, to
put the tank away from the house, to not transport it, etc. She took
down my address and someone came out within an hour with a replacement
full tank at no charge.

I'm still in shock that this whole thing did not involve any arguing,
any excuses, any accusations, any claims that it must be the grill, not
their tank.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2011 2:10 PM, SMS wrote:
One of my propane tanks for my grill would leak every time the hose was
connected to it and the valve was opened. Probably the rubber seal was
bad. I didn't know if Home Depot would exchange it for me since it was
only half full and I had bought it probably nine months ago.

I called Amerigas. The lady on the phone was really nice, but she did
not understand that the tank wasn't leaking except when it was connected
to the hose. She started advising me to not use any light switches, to
put the tank away from the house, to not transport it, etc. She took
down my address and someone came out within an hour with a replacement
full tank at no charge.

I'm still in shock that this whole thing did not involve any arguing,
any excuses, any accusations, any claims that it must be the grill, not
their tank.

You should also be made aware that they sell 15 pounds of propane in a
tank designed to hold about 20 lbs
Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:

She started advising me to not use any light switches,

Why?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2011 2:10 PM, SMS wrote:
One of my propane tanks for my grill would leak every time the hose was
connected to it and the valve was opened. Probably the rubber seal was
bad. I didn't know if Home Depot would exchange it for me since it was
only half full and I had bought it probably nine months ago.

I called Amerigas. The lady on the phone was really nice, but she did
not understand that the tank wasn't leaking except when it was connected
to the hose. She started advising me to not use any light switches, to
put the tank away from the house, to not transport it, etc. She took
down my address and someone came out within an hour with a replacement
full tank at no charge.

I'm still in shock that this whole thing did not involve any arguing,
any excuses, any accusations, any claims that it must be the grill, not
their tank.

Still in shock about what? They could be the most miserable company in
the world but there are rather large liability issues involved with
flammable gases. They would be absolutely stupid not to quickly respond.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2011 2:28 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/31/2011 2:10 PM, SMS wrote:
[...]

It is for the convenience (easier to carry) of those folks who like big
box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2011 2:39 PM, G. Morgan wrote:
SMS wrote:

She started advising me to not use any light switches,

Why?

Spark--flammable gas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

As I understand, they are limited to 80% fill, which means
15 pounds in a 16 pounder. Still, comes up short.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank"
wrote in message ...

I'm still in shock that this whole thing did not involve
any arguing,
any excuses, any accusations, any claims that it must be
the grill, not
their tank.

You should also be made aware that they sell 15 pounds of
propane in a
tank designed to hold about 20 lbs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Older style switches can make a spark, which can ignite
propane vapors. BOOM!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
SMS wrote:

She started advising me to not use any light switches,

Why?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Older style switches can make a spark, which can ignite
propane vapors. BOOM!

Outdoors? Highly unlikely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

Still in shock about what? They could be the most miserable company in
the world but there are rather large liability issues involved with
flammable gases. They would be absolutely stupid not to quickly respond.

If you report a natural gas leak with Centerpoint Energy (Houston area)
they respond within 15 minutes. I don't know if that is a law, or just
their minimum safety response time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2011 2:06 PM, G. Morgan wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Older style switches can make a spark, which can ignite
propane vapors. BOOM!

Outdoors? Highly unlikely.

I have a light switch on my patio about 3 feet from my grill.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 8/31/2011 11:28 AM, Frank wrote:

You should also be made aware that they sell 15 pounds of propane in a
tank designed to hold about 20 lbs

Well aware of that. I actually never do the exchange anymore because of
this, and no one I know does either. I take the empty tank over to a gas
station for refilling. But I could not take the bad tank there for
refilling, I needed one that worked properly.

Even when refilled to capacity, it's not really 20 pounds, more like
around 18 pounds. They charge $20 to fill it, versus about $17 for a 15
pound exchange, so the cost savings isn't that much for doing a refill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2011 2:10 PM, SMS wrote:
[...]

Of course it is. It couldn't be to increase profits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Only if the switch is on the ground, downwind of the tank.
Of course, the girl was reading canned advice.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Older style switches can make a spark, which can ignite
propane vapors. BOOM!

Outdoors? Highly unlikely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:39:28 -0500, G. Morgan
wrote:

SMS wrote:

She started advising me to not use any light switches,

Why?

Because all she heard was "leaking propane" and didn't want his house
to look like this;
http://mohawkvalley.ynn.com/content/...ion-released/?

Better to err on the side of caution, I say. No matter how many
times it is said, folks can be pretty dumb. it was reported that the
folks living in this house had been complaining to the landlord for
some time about a gas leak.

If it was me-- it would have been one call to the landlord. An hour
later I'd have been calling to propane provider and/or fire
department.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

wrote:

SMS wrote:

She started advising me to not use any light switches,

Why?

Because all she heard was "leaking propane" and didn't want his house
to look like this

That's right. They probably have had the riot act read to them regarding
leaks following the nearby San Bruno natural gas disaster last year.

Still, the guy that delivered the replacement tank thought it was pretty
amusing that the customer service person did not understand that there
was no leak when the tank was shut off or not connected to the regulator
hose.

Comparing the rubber seal between tanks, it was very clear that the
cause of the leak was a bad seal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2011 3:10 PM, G. Morgan wrote:
George wrote:

Still in shock about what? They could be the most miserable company in
the world but there are rather large liability issues involved with
flammable gases. They would be absolutely stupid not to quickly respond.

If you report a natural gas leak with Centerpoint Energy (Houston area)
they respond within 15 minutes. I don't know if that is a law, or just
their minimum safety response time.

We have NG in our house. Occasionally I would get a whiff of mercaptan
when on the side of the house. I always thought it was the boiler
because it is induced draft and has a purge cycle.

One day the air was really still and the smell was concentrated right by
the meter. I called and said "no emergency, there is a slight smell of
gas by the meter on occasion". Within 10 minutes there were 3 trucks in
front of the house. One guy found there was a tiny leak at the regulator
and used a big wrench to snug the nut. I asked about the quick response
and they said any reported leaks were broadcast by the dispatcher and
all nearby workers were required to stop what they were doing and go to
the location.

Even if the company was the crappiest one on earth the extra liability
is all theirs if someone says "gas leak" and no one responds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote

Even when refilled to capacity, it's not really 20 pounds, more like
around 18 pounds. They charge $20 to fill it, versus about $17 for a 15
pound exchange, so the cost savings isn't that much for doing a refill.

Still higher than most around here. I pay $12, but most are $17 for a full
tank. I won't do exchanges.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Older style switches can make a spark, which can ignite
propane vapors. BOOM!

Outdoors? Highly unlikely.

But many unlikely things do blow up. If the tank was near a basement
window, etc. it could happen. Maybe it was in a garage with lights or
power tools. Propane is heavier than air. Gas people are cautious to the
extreme.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 2:56*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
As I understand, they are limited to 80% fill, which means
15 pounds in a 16 pounder. Still, comes up short.

LDS math.

16*80%= 12.8

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Older style switches can make a spark, which can ignite
propane vapors. BOOM!

Outdoors? Highly unlikely.

But many unlikely things do blow up. If the tank was near a basement
window, etc. it could happen. Maybe it was in a garage with lights or
power tools. Propane is heavier than air. Gas people are cautious to the
extreme.

That's true. She would have been wrong not to warn him I guess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

I asked about the quick response
and they said any reported leaks were broadcast by the dispatcher and
all nearby workers were required to stop what they were doing and go to
the location.

Ah hah. Now I remember, the Centerpoint guy said the same thing.

This one in particular I'm thinking of, I may have saved the families
lives. The leak was on the gas heater in the attic, and the emergency
pilot light extinguisher engaged. As soon as I pulled down the attic
stairs in the scuttle hole I smelled it. I went up for a few seconds to
see if I could determine where it was coming from, but immediately
descended and told the customer to call the gas company. I closed the
hatch and we waited outside. He was there faster than I've seen
ambulances respond.

The gas guy said it was a *very* dangerous situation and it's a good
thing he called.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

wrote:
As I understand, they are limited to 80% fill, which means
15 pounds in a 16 pounder. Still, comes up short.

LDS math.

16*80%= 12.8

15 pounds of propane is about 3.54 gallons.

The tanks can safely hold between 4.5 and 4.6 gallons of propane when
filled to 80% of volume (to allow for expansion)

It's true that the tanks can't be filled to 100% of capacity, if filled
to 100% that would be about 24 pounds of propane. A 15 pound fill is
filling the tank only about 62% full.

Look for the "WC" marking on the tank (water capacity) which should be
47.1 to 47.8 pounds.

Propane Propane
Lbs Tank 80% fill 80% fill
WC Gallons Gallons Pounds
----- ------ ---------- ---------
47.1 5.65 4.52 19.2
47.6 5.71 4.57 19.4
47.8 5.73 4.59 19.5

The place I go fills the tank to about 19 gallons for $20. The exchange
price for 15 gallons would have to be $15.79 or less to be less expensive.

I read that some tank companies are putting magnetic locks on the valves
to prevent people from refilling the tanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
As I understand, they are limited to 80% fill, which means
15 pounds in a 16 pounder. Still, comes up short.

LDS math.

16*80%= 12.8

What is 20*80%? Sorry, but it's *your* math that stinks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 11:42:09 -0500, G. Morgan wrote:

George wrote:

I asked about the quick response
and they said any reported leaks were broadcast by the dispatcher and
all nearby workers were required to stop what they were doing and go to
the location.

Ah hah. Now I remember, the Centerpoint guy said the same thing.

This one in particular I'm thinking of, I may have saved the families
lives. The leak was on the gas heater in the attic, and the emergency
pilot light extinguisher engaged. As soon as I pulled down the attic
stairs in the scuttle hole I smelled it. I went up for a few seconds to
see if I could determine where it was coming from, but immediately
descended and told the customer to call the gas company. I closed the
hatch and we waited outside. He was there faster than I've seen
ambulances respond.

Many moons ago I smelled gas in our kitchen. I told my wife to go to the
neighbors, *NOW* and call the gas company. I opened all the windows on my way
looking for the shutoff. Turns out the flex pipe from the 3/4" iron to the
stove broke completely. The gas company was there in very short minutes but
at first they didn't really believe it was a real emergency. The landlord was
****ed but I have no idea why. Maybe he wanted the insurance money.

The gas guy said it was a *very* dangerous situation and it's a good
thing he called.

I would guess so!

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"SMS" wrote

Even when refilled to capacity, it's not really 20 pounds, more like
around 18 pounds. They charge $20 to fill it, versus about $17 for a 15
pound exchange, so the cost savings isn't that much for doing a refill.

Still higher than most around here. I pay $12, but most are $17 for a full
tank. I won't do exchanges.

Here, I fill my tanks at a local Costco. They don't charge a flat rate, they
actually measure the amount of gas they put in a tank and charge for that
amount, the equipment shuts off when the tank is full. If I take several
tanks in at the same time the cost can be different for each tank, although
is may be only pennies as they are always empty when I take them in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 9/1/2011 10:07 AM, EXT wrote:

Here, I fill my tanks at a local Costco. They don't charge a flat rate,
they actually measure the amount of gas they put in a tank and charge
for that amount, the equipment shuts off when the tank is full. If I
take several tanks in at the same time the cost can be different for
each tank, although is may be only pennies as they are always empty when
I take them in.

I've never seen a Costco in the Bay Area that does propane refills. Too bad.

Most of the refill places do charge by the gallon, but they actually
charge less than shows up on the meter, by capping the total cost. The
place I go caps it at $20, even though it would be a bit more for a
completely empty tank.

How much does Costco charge per gallon? I get the feeling that there is
a huge mark-up on propane.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 3:06*pm, G. Morgan wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Older style switches can make a spark, which can ignite
propane vapors. BOOM!

Outdoors? *Highly unlikely.

Did you miss the part in the OP where the operator DID NOT UNDERSTAND
the situation?

Amerigas deals primarily in large propane tanks for household and
industrial use. She was following standard procedure for a HOUSEHOLD
GAS LEAK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2011 7:21 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"SMS" wrote

Even when refilled to capacity, it's not really 20 pounds, more like
around 18 pounds. They charge $20 to fill it, versus about $17 for a
15 pound exchange, so the cost savings isn't that much for doing a
refill.

Still higher than most around here. I pay $12, but most are $17 for a
full tank. I won't do exchanges.

I would have had it refilled but old tank was getting quite rusty as I
keep them outside with the grill, don't use often (tank will last over a
year) and exchange was convenient. Just ****ed me off when I saw they
put about 3.5 gal in a 5 gal container. They don't say this but just
give the poundage and I knew specific gravity was about 0.5 which is
about 4 lbs/gal.

I sent a complaint to the state ag's office (Joe/Beau Biden Jr.) here in
DE but that was ****ing in the wind.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 9/1/2011 12:06 PM, Frank wrote:

I sent a complaint to the state ag's office (Joe/Beau Biden Jr.) here in
DE but that was ****ing in the wind.

There was already a settlement in a class-action against the companies
that changed to the 15 pound refill. They do state that they only refill
with 15 pounds of propane, but it's very misleading because the tank
size remains the same. It's not like changing the quantity of ice cream
from 1/2 gallon to 1.5 quarts, where it's also a smaller package size.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, it was FAIRLY CLEAR that the operator DID NOT
understand the SITUATION. That said, she was FOLLOWING THE
script that is proabably BY THE PHONE. To make it EASIER to
recite to the CUSTOMER.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Did you miss the part in the OP where the operator DID NOT
UNDERSTAND
the situation?

Amerigas deals primarily in large propane tanks for
household and
industrial use. She was following standard procedure for a
HOUSEHOLD
GAS LEAK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote

How much does Costco charge per gallon? I get the feeling that there is a
huge mark-up on propane.

At BJ's in Mass, it is $3 a gallon for members, $4.20 for non member.

At work we pay about $5 for fill ups for the forklift trucks. My cooking is
propane and a fill up is about $7 a gallon. I have two (I think 50 gallon)
tanks and they come about once a year. Small users get hosed. I could save
a little if I bought my own tanks and regulators.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"SMS" wrote in message
On 9/1/2011 10:07 AM, EXT wrote:

Here, I fill my tanks at a local Costco. They don't charge a flat rate,
they actually measure the amount of gas they put in a tank and charge
for that amount, the equipment shuts off when the tank is full. If I
take several tanks in at the same time the cost can be different for
each tank, although is may be only pennies as they are always empty when
I take them in.

I've never seen a Costco in the Bay Area that does propane refills. Too
bad.

Most of the refill places do charge by the gallon, but they actually
charge less than shows up on the meter, by capping the total cost. The
place I go caps it at $20, even though it would be a bit more for a
completely empty tank.

How much does Costco charge per gallon? I get the feeling that there is a
huge mark-up on propane.

I don't remember the price per litre but it averages about $13.00 per
tankfull.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"George" wrote in message
On 8/31/2011 2:10 PM, SMS wrote:
[...]

I used to work for a large gas utility. It was standard advise, if you did
not get a response to service, tell the dispatcher that you thought you
could smell gas. That got someone immediately. Gas leaks, gas explosions,
fires caused by gas, are all bad and expensive publicity and were not
tolerated.

I worked designing business forms, and we had a form called "Explosion
Report", it was quickly changed to "Incident Report", but the content was
identical. Just that the word "Explosion" was not allowed even to be
mentioned let alone be printed on a form.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

As I understand, they are limited to 80% fill, which means
15 pounds in a 16 pounder. Still, comes up short.

Ah! I am beginning to see why some of your economic and statistical
comments (like your claim that the unemployment rate was 4% when Obama took
office) are mathematically suspect, comrade.

80% of 16 lbs is not 15 lbs.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll write this really, really slow. Ready?

The other poster said that the propane company he mentioned
was short weighting the twenty pound "nominal" tanks by one
pound. The math illustrates that 80% fill is 16 pounds. I'll
write it on the chalk board: 20 x 0.80 = 16. Therefore, a
short weight tank would have 15 pounds in a 16 pound tank.

I'm sorry you didn't understand what I so clearly wrote.
Stay after class, and clean erasers.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Robert Green" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message

As I understand, they are limited to 80% fill, which means
15 pounds in a 16 pounder. Still, comes up short.

Ah! I am beginning to see why some of your economic and
statistical
comments (like your claim that the unemployment rate was 4%
when Obama took
office) are mathematically suspect, comrade.

80% of 16 lbs is not 15 lbs.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 21:49:40 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

As I understand, they are limited to 80% fill, which means
15 pounds in a 16 pounder. Still, comes up short.

Ah! I am beginning to see why some of your economic and statistical
comments (like your claim that the unemployment rate was 4% when Obama took
office) are mathematically suspect, comrade.

80% of 16 lbs is not 15 lbs.

80% fill of 20 lb container is 16 lbs though. That's 4.23 US Gallons
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I'll write this really, really slow. Ready?

The other poster said that the propane company he mentioned
was short weighting the twenty pound "nominal" tanks by one
pound.

What other poster? I searched the thread and saw no mention of it.
Besides, it doesn't make sense. The tanks are deliberately underfilled to
allow for expansion. So we have some "other poster" that neither shows up
in Google nor my newsreader who made a comment that you didn't bother to
quote that makes your incorrect assertion somehow correct. Hmmm. Sorry
Chris, no sale. Find that alleged message and I'll gladly admit I'm in
error. Just pulling it OOYA doesn't count.

The math illustrates that 80% fill is 16 pounds. I'll
write it on the chalk board: 20 x 0.80 = 16. Therefore, a
short weight tank would have 15 pounds in a 16 pound tank.

What on EARTH are you talking about? I admit it's fun to watch you dance,
but that's about it. Even your attempts to cover your mistake don't make
any sense and yet you think you were "clear." Clear as mud.

I'm sorry you didn't understand what I so clearly wrote.
Stay after class, and clean erasers.

"Clearly wrote." That's pretty hilarious. It reminds me of the times as a
reporter when people would complain when quoted verbatim: "That's what I
SAID, but it's not what I meant!!!" If you said it so clearly, then you
shouldn't have to go through a paragraph of double-talk referencing some
other message that I can't find (and you curiously neglected to quote) to
try to explain it. Take a writing course and maybe such problems won't
plague you anymore. (-: Maybe I need the magic Mormon Urim and Thummim
seeing stones to make it clear to me?

You said, plain as the nose on my face:

As I understand, they are limited to 80% fill, which means
15 pounds in a 16 pounder. Still, comes up short.

Fifteen pounds in a sixteen pound tank isn't 80% no matter HOW much word
dancing you do. But it IS fun to watch you try to weasel out of your
mistake. Why not just fess up that you made a mistake? People would
actually think better of you for it and not think that you had some
compulsion to be right, all the time, no matter what you actually said. I
suspect inhalation of too much eraser dust trying to prove unprovable
statements.

FWIW, I did find another message questioning your math, so you may *think*
you were being clear, but obviously you weren't:

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: Thomas
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 09:02:24 -0700 (PDT)

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...9e2a1d82b70eb9

--
Bobby G.

----------------
Remnants of earlier message (I don't care to correct your top-post
continuity issues)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Robert Green" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message

As I understand, they are limited to 80% fill, which means
15 pounds in a 16 pounder. Still, comes up short.

Ah! I am beginning to see why some of your economic and
statistical
comments (like your claim that the unemployment rate was 4%
when Obama took
office) are mathematically suspect, comrade.

80% of 16 lbs is not 15 lbs.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 00:38:46 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

Besides, it doesn't make sense. The tanks are deliberately underfilled to
allow for expansion.

True, but the Blue Rhino tanks are under filled even more from what
they once were. I forget the numbers and never use them, but take a
look next time you go by one of their tank racks and you will see the
difference. Just like the 1.5 quart half gallons of ice cream and the
30 ounce quart jars of mayo, the gas companies are short counting.

Snow on propane tank DS Home Repair 15 December 24th 18 08:54 PM
propane tank date [email protected] Home Repair 17 July 29th 07 04:38 PM
65 gal propane tank: How full? Dan Home Repair 14 May 25th 07 09:30 PM
BBQ Propane Tank Dave Combs Home Repair 8 February 13th 05 01:13 AM
Mini Max and an AMAZING story of customer service Tbone Dano Woodworking 11 May 22nd 04 09:03 PM