Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing the filter on a Craftsman 5 Gallon Clean 'N' Carry Wet/Dry Vac.

The model number is 113.179255.

A picture of the filter is he
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixiter/index.html

The nut you see at the top of the picture won't budge. Thus, I cannot remove
the filter. I called Sears and they said it should come off easily without
any tools. The vacuum is less than a year old and only used a couple of
times. I don't think I ever removed the filter before. You can see how
mangled that plastic nut is now after trying every tool the in drawer to
remove it. (Why would they use a plastic nut?) I must be missing something
really obvious. One other thing I should mention, the owners manual shows
the parts blow up which includes a "filter nut lever." I didn't see anything
like that attached to or near the nut.

Thanks for your replies.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 21, 8:19*am, "David Farber" wrote:
[...]

Well the bolt head on your pix is now pretty chewed up. I think the
only thing you can do now is cut the head right off (angle grinder,
hack saw?) and replace the bolt .
When the filter is off you can grip the stem of the bolt with locking
pliers or similar tool and unscrew it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"David Farber" wrote in
:

The model number is 113.179255.

A picture of the filter is he
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixiter/index.html

The nut you see at the top of the picture won't budge. Thus, I cannot
remove the filter. I called Sears and they said it should come off
easily without any tools. The vacuum is less than a year old and only
used a couple of times. I don't think I ever removed the filter
before. You can see how mangled that plastic nut is now after trying
every tool the in drawer to remove it. (Why would they use a plastic
nut?) I must be missing something really obvious. One other thing I
should mention, the owners manual shows the parts blow up which
includes a "filter nut lever." I didn't see anything like that
attached to or near the nut.

Thanks for your replies.

If his is anything like the old, old SHopvac, you don't need the nut.
All the filters I have had were frictionfit (some fell off easily,
though!). I just bought a replacement at Home Depot since the guy I had
lent the vac too gave it back so filthy, I chewed off half the filter
trying to clean it with a garden hose :-(

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 21, 8:31*am, Han wrote:
"David Farber" wrote :

[...]

email address is invalid- Hide quoted text -

I have a Craftsman that is probably 20+ years old at
this point. But it uses a similar filter and looks like
the same or similar design. On mine the filter is
held on by a special plastic wing nut, if you will.
That wing nut is large and has only one side,
more like a lever. Sounds to me that could be
what Sears is describing.

If that is what you had, almost all of it is gone
at this point. The special plastic wing nut
is likely formed around a steel nut and in
your case almost all of the plastic is gone.

Something must have been very wrong with
this from the factory for it to have gotten
stuck on there like that in less than a year.
My 20+ year old one still works perfectly.

Have you tried spraying it with penetrating
oil and letting it sit for a day? If it won't
come off with pliers at this point, the only
thing left to do would be to carefully cut
it off with a hacksaw, grinder, or try a
nut splitter. Then you can get a new
nut from Sears.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Farber wrote:

The nut you see at the top of the picture won't budge.

What are you doing?

That filter is extremely clean. There is no need to mess around trying
to remove it.

Yes, I agree that eventually (when you start putting it to some real
use) that you'll want to remove it to slam it against a tree trunk or
brick wall to get the fine dust out of it.

But at this point it simply does not need to be removed.

I have a 10-year-old Rigid (sp?) shop vac (the large size) and I keep
re-using the same filter. The filter looks like a cross between brown
cardboard and really thin leather. Once every year I'll rinse it under
warm water, opening every fold and flushing out the fine mud. Then I'll
put it outside on top of the AC unit where it dries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 21, 9:29*am, Home Guy wrote:
David Farber wrote:
The nut you see at the top of the picture won't budge.

What are you doing?

That filter is extremely clean. *There is no need to mess around trying
to remove it.

If he wants to use it to vacuum up water there is.

Yes, I agree that eventually (when you start putting it to some real
use) that you'll want to remove it to slam it against a tree trunk or
brick wall to get the fine dust out of it.

But at this point it simply does not need to be removed.

If he wants to use it to vacuum up water there is.

I have a 10-year-old Rigid (sp?) shop vac (the large size) and I keep
re-using the same filter. *The filter looks like a cross between brown
cardboard and really thin leather. *Once every year I'll rinse it under
warm water, opening every fold and flushing out the fine mud. *Then I'll
put it outside on top of the AC unit where it dries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

That filter is extremely clean. There is no need to mess around
trying to remove it.

If he wants to use it to vacuum up water there is.

He can still use it to vacuum up water - with the filter on. I've done
it.

Once you're done, just turn it upside down (like he has in the picture)
and let it dry out. Sit the whole thing on top of the outside AC unit
and let the hot air dry it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Farber wrote the following:
The model number is 113.179255.

A picture of the filter is he
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixiter/index.html

The nut you see at the top of the picture won't budge. Thus, I cannot remove
the filter. I called Sears and they said it should come off easily without
any tools. The vacuum is less than a year old and only used a couple of
times. I don't think I ever removed the filter before. You can see how
mangled that plastic nut is now after trying every tool the in drawer to
remove it. (Why would they use a plastic nut?)

Because the vac is sometimes used to suck up water and a metal nut on a
metal rod would rust solid.

I must be missing something
really obvious. One other thing I should mention, the owners manual shows
the parts blow up which includes a "filter nut lever." I didn't see anything
like that attached to or near the nut.

Did it look like that before you took the tools to it? This is what a
filter nut should look like. This one is white, yours is black.
http://www.svcvacuum.com/ridgid/73316.asp
That nut should only be put on and taken off with your fingers, no tools
required. Did you remember righty tighty, lefty loosey?

Thanks for your replies.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

" wrote in
:

On Aug 21, 8:31*am, Han wrote:
"David Farber" wrote
innews:j2qbm4$aj2$1@dont

-email.me:

[...]

Even then, the Home Depot "MultiFit" filter fit fine for my similar
vintage Shopvac. ~$20 for the HEPA one.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Farber wrote:
The model number is 113.179255.

A picture of the filter is he
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixiter/index.html

The nut you see at the top of the picture won't budge. Thus, I cannot
remove the filter. I called Sears and they said it should come off
easily without any tools. The vacuum is less than a year old and only
used a couple of times. I don't think I ever removed the filter
before. You can see how mangled that plastic nut is now after trying
every tool the in drawer to remove it. (Why would they use a plastic
nut?) I must be missing something really obvious. One other thing I
should mention, the owners manual shows the parts blow up which
includes a "filter nut lever." I didn't see anything like that
attached to or near the nut.
Thanks for your replies.

Is there any chance the the whole end turns to loosen it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Farber" wrote in message
[...]

Take a look at a new filter....

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...313944142 390

Looks like the lever nut was already off, the filter is just stuck, and
you've mangled the stud...

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
[...]

Now that I see the photo from your link above of what the nut should look
like, I had nothing like that. I probably should have taken a "before" photo
but that would have meant I knew I wouldn't have been able to remove the
nut. There was just that black rubbery knob at the end of the filter. It
used to have some sort of edges to it. I tried fitting it with a socket but
nothing would grab it, sae or metric.

Yes, I'm pretty good with the left loosey stuff. (-:

Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
David Farber wrote:
The model number is 113.179255.

A picture of the filter is he
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixiter/index.html

The nut you see at the top of the picture won't budge. Thus, I cannot
remove the filter. I called Sears and they said it should come off
easily without any tools. The vacuum is less than a year old and only
used a couple of times. I don't think I ever removed the filter
before. You can see how mangled that plastic nut is now after trying
every tool the in drawer to remove it. (Why would they use a plastic
nut?) I must be missing something really obvious. One other thing I
should mention, the owners manual shows the parts blow up which
includes a "filter nut lever." I didn't see anything like that
attached to or near the nut.
Thanks for your replies.

Is there any chance the the whole end turns to loosen it?

I can spin the entire filter if that's what you mean but whatever is
securing it at the end of line does not rotate when I spin the filter. Is
that what you meant?

Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick wrote:
[...]

I see the new filter with the hole at the end. I really can't see the end of
the stud on what I have here. Is it metal? Wouldn't it have threads on it?
That would be pretty easy to notice if the nut were missing, no?

Here's a scenario I could imagine. If the vacuum cleaner does not come
preassembled, then I mount the filter on the stud. Next, I cannot find the
wing nut in the parts bag or it just gets lost. Needing to secure the filter
onto the stud, I grab something from my workbench that fits securely on the
end of the stud. On the other hand, if it does come preassembled, I really
can't think of any explanation for this.

Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:26:26 -0700, "David Farber"
wrote:

Rick wrote:
[...]

Should be, but as others have said, the nut is a one-armed "wing nut". It
should be pretty easy to notice that it's not there. ;-)

Here's a scenario I could imagine. If the vacuum cleaner does not come
preassembled, then I mount the filter on the stud. Next, I cannot find the
wing nut in the parts bag or it just gets lost. Needing to secure the filter
onto the stud, I grab something from my workbench that fits securely on the
end of the stud. On the other hand, if it does come preassembled, I really
can't think of any explanation for this.

You're probably close. Someone lost the nut (mine has fallen off, into the
muck below) and replaced it with something close. ...and stripped the mess.
You'll likely have to force it off, somehow, or cut it off and replace the
parts necessary. Parts should be available because they built millions of the
things (and those with the same parts). Here's a link to the manual:

http://www.hammerwall.com/Download_Manual/44725/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/2011 2:19 AM, David Farber wrote:
The model number is 113.179255.

A picture of the filter is he
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixiter/index.html

The nut you see at the top of the picture won't budge. Thus, I cannot remove
the filter. I called Sears and they said it should come off easily without
any tools. The vacuum is less than a year old and only used a couple of
times. I don't think I ever removed the filter before. You can see how
mangled that plastic nut is now after trying every tool the in drawer to
remove it. (Why would they use a plastic nut?) I must be missing something
really obvious. One other thing I should mention, the owners manual shows
the parts blow up which includes a "filter nut lever." I didn't see anything
like that attached to or near the nut.

Thanks for your replies.

Cut the whole thing off. It looks like it's made of plastic and paper.

What usually do is cuss a lot and mangle until I get the results I want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 06:32:02 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

That filter is extremely clean. *There is no need to mess around trying
to remove it.

If he wants to use it to vacuum up water there is.

And when after cleaning-up sheet rock dust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:21:27 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Did it look like that before you took the tools to it? This is what a
filter nut should look like. This one is white, yours is black.
http://www.svcvacuum.com/ridgid/73316.asp
That nut should only be put on and taken off with your fingers, no tools
required. Did you remember righty tighty, lefty loosey?

When installed on the filter the "wing" should be on "top"... not on
the bottom closest to the filter. Hand snug it but not to tight.

OP ignore the UK advice about using an angle grinder. Seems the Brit's
think every project requires an angle grinder.

-- 25 year old Craftsman Wet / Dry VAC still kickin' it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing the filter on a Craftsman 5 Gallon Clean 'N' Carry Wet/Dry Vac. (Epic Fail!)

JimT wrote:
[...]

Yes, epic fail. (I always wanted to use that term on the internet (-

Ok, I just kept twisting until the "nut" came off. Scroll down and see the
results. http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixiter Then see what turned up a
little while later hiding in a pile of papers. Didn't anyone at the two
Sears stores I called AND their parts department know about this?

Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/2011 4:46 PM, David Farber wrote:
JimT wrote:
[...]

OOPS!

Too much mangle and not enough cussing. Maybe you should have used an
"angle grinder". LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

JimT wrote:
[...]

Angle grinder? Could I have seen how the filter was installed on that so I
could have figured out how to replace the filter on the vac? (-;
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to alt.home.repair

JimT wrote:
[...]

That was a dumb joke.

Could I have seen how the filter was installed on that so I
could have figured out how to replace the filter on the vac? (-;

Actually, I was thinking if you cut off the filter you might have
figured it out. Couldn't you access the manual online or is this a good
case for "reading the manual"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

JimT wrote:
[...]

I did access the manual online. It showed a nut with half a wing as one
http://www.svcvacuum.com/ridgid/73316.asp

When I called the Sears parts department, they confirmed the same thing. It
was only that one piece of paper I posted online that was tossed in with the
vac somewhere that shows the correct parts blowup. Must be a well kept
secret at Sears.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to alt.home.repair

JimT wrote:
[...]

I bought a Ridgid vacuum for $20 on sale at Homedepot. They were almost
giving them away. It uses that wing nut and works fine. I clean the
filter with my other vacuum but I only use it in my backyard for picking
up leaves. I've never replaced the filter in about 5 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JimT wrote:
[...]

There was a change in the way filters mounted and there were conversion kits
sold. I looked up your model number and it showed the "wingnut" mounting.
Yours is much older?

Posted to alt.home.repair

JimT wrote:
[...]

one previous poster, willshak, pointed out in his link:
http://www.svcvacuum.com/ridgid/73316.asp

When I called the Sears parts department, they confirmed the same
thing. It was only that one piece of paper I posted online that was
tossed in with the vac somewhere that shows the correct parts
blowup. Must be a well kept secret at Sears.

There was a change in the way filters mounted and there were
conversion kits sold. I looked up your model number and it showed
the "wingnut" mounting. Yours is much older?

Your closing question mark has me confused. Are you saying I can convert
mine to the wingnut mounting? Or is the wingnut mounting the older type?

Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 17:48:49 -0700, "David Farber"

JimT wrote:
[...]

Sorry. The wingnut mounting is a newer type (where "newer" ~ 20 years). The
docs for the number you listed show the wingnut, so I don't know what that's
about.

There was a conversion kit from the older type (don't know what it was) to the
wingnut style. If you have an old vacuum, the kit might still be available.
Parts for your vacuum, in some form, should be available, anyway. There were
millions of these things made.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JimT wrote:
[...]

Maybe next time you think of buying something from Sears you will
remember this debacle and go somewhere else to spend your money. Sears
has been on the downhill slide for many years. Kmart may be
successful at putting them out of their misery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JimT wrote:
[...]

While I agree with your sentiments WRT Sears, there are a ton of these shop
vacs running around. I have one (from 20ish years ago), too. They won't get
any more of my money (or shopping time), but I do have some of their junk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 22:53:59 -0500, "
wrote:

Maybe next time you think of buying something from Sears you will
remember this debacle and go somewhere else to spend your money. Sears
has been on the downhill slide for many years. Kmart may be
successful at putting them out of their misery.

While I agree with your sentiments WRT Sears, there are a ton of these shop
vacs running around. I have one (from 20ish years ago), too. They won't get
any more of my money (or shopping time), but I do have some of their junk.

My 40 yr old vac died about 10 years ago. I still have the tools that
came with it - even the wide brush with the two small wheels. Yeah,
they had wheels back then. The OEM plastic wheels broke many moons
ago so now I have shiny aluminum wheels now!

The only time I go back to Sears is to have a broken tool replaced.
Don't get me started on their replacement bait and switch tactics. I
bought the "industrial" or "professional" or whatever tool way back
when and paid extra for it. It fails but they quit making that tool
years ago and replaced it with the new and improved "Super-Duper"
series and they try to make me settle for their current standard crap
because I didn't buy the "Super-Duper" stuff! Now, see what you've
done, now you got me all ****ed off about Searz... Aw, crap!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway wrote:

Maybe next time you think of buying something from Sears you will
remember this debacle and go somewhere else to spend your money. Sears
has been on the downhill slide for many years. Kmart may be
successful at putting them out of their misery.

Why would Kmart want to do that? It owns Sears.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 07:54:43 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote:

Maybe next time you think of buying something from Sears you will
remember this debacle and go somewhere else to spend your money. Sears
has been on the downhill slide for many years. Kmart may be
successful at putting them out of their misery.

Why would Kmart want to do that? It owns Sears.

Precisely my point. By the time Kmart strips away anything they
believe is worth keeping, like the tools, the rest will be used as a
write-off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote:

Maybe next time you think of buying something from Sears you will
remember this debacle and go somewhere else to spend your money. Sears
has been on the downhill slide for many years. Kmart may be
successful at putting them out of their misery.

Why would Kmart want to do that? It owns Sears.

Precisely my point. By the time Kmart strips away anything they
believe is worth keeping, like the tools, the rest will be used as a
write-off.

Huh? They recently built a "Grand" Sears here. Must be 5 acres. Too
large IMO.

How do you clean your wet/dry vacuum cleaner filter? [email protected] Home Repair 21 May 22nd 08 09:38 PM
Clean inner filter Steve R Woodworking 0 February 1st 06 11:29 PM
Cleaning a "Clean Stream" Gortex filter... loutent Woodworking 10 August 23rd 05 07:19 PM
how to keep filter media on Jet & other DCs clean [email protected] Woodworking 10 February 14th 05 08:55 PM
Diatomaceous earth pool filter: How often to clean? The Chairman Home Repair 8 January 22nd 05 05:09 AM