Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bulb burnt out with heat damage. Why?

Hi, we have one of those energy saving bulbs installed in a room. The
bulb is installed on the ceiling light fixture, facing downwards.
Recently it burnt out and when we were replacing it, we found signs of
heat damage. Any idea why this would happen? Is it OK to deploy these
bulbs on the celing, facing down?

Here are 2 pictures of the bulb: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7627347401427/

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 3:42*pm, " wrote:
Hi, we have one of those energy saving bulbs installed in a room. The
bulb is installed on the ceiling light fixture, facing downwards.
Recently it burnt out and when we were replacing it, we found signs of
heat damage. Any idea why this would happen? Is it OK to deploy these
bulbs on the celing, facing down?

Here are 2 pictures of the bulb:http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7627347401427/

Thanks

By energy saving do you mean compaact fluuorescent? If yes, they must
have ventilation, and also burn base down or horiizzontal. You
mounted them in the worst possible environment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hi, we have one of those energy saving bulbs installed in a room. The
bulb is installed on the ceiling light fixture, facing downwards.
Recently it burnt out and when we were replacing it, we found signs of
heat damage. Any idea why this would happen? Is it OK to deploy these
bulbs on the celing, facing down?

Here are 2 pictures of the bulb:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7627347401427/

Thanks

You show the bulb, but not the fixture. If it is in a can, no, it should
not be used. Open, they are OK, but do not last as long as it would base
down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 3:58*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

Hi, we have one of those energy saving bulbs installed in a room. The
bulb is installed on the ceiling light fixture, facing downwards.
Recently it burnt out and when we were replacing it, we found signs of
heat damage. Any idea why this would happen? Is it OK to deploy these
bulbs on the celing, facing down?

Here are 2 pictures of the bulb:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7627347401427/

Thanks

You show the bulb, but not the fixture. *If it is in a can, no, it should
not be used. *Open, they are OK, but do not last as long as it would base
down.

The fixture is open can type.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , " wrote:
Hi, we have one of those energy saving bulbs installed in a room. The
bulb is installed on the ceiling light fixture, facing downwards.
Recently it burnt out and when we were replacing it, we found signs of
heat damage. Any idea why this would happen? Is it OK to deploy these
bulbs on the celing, facing down?

Here are 2 pictures of the bulb:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7627347401427/

That's pretty much the normal appearance of a compact fluorescent bulb which
has reached end of life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:58:04 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
Hi, we have one of those energy saving bulbs installed in a room. The
bulb is installed on the ceiling light fixture, facing downwards.
Recently it burnt out and when we were replacing it, we found signs of
heat damage. Any idea why this would happen? Is it OK to deploy these
bulbs on the celing, facing down?

Here are 2 pictures of the bulb:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7627347401427/

Thanks

You show the bulb, but not the fixture. If it is in a can, no, it should
not be used. Open, they are OK, but do not last as long as it would base
down.

In a can you need to use PAR bulbs which are DESIGNED to run base up.
Still don't last worth crap, but at least I haven't had any fail with
heat damage. The PAR bulb replects the heat out the front (bottom when
mounted base up)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote:
On Aug 19, 3:42 pm, " wrote:
Hi, we have one of those energy saving bulbs installed in a room. The
bulb is installed on the ceiling light fixture, facing downwards.
Recently it burnt out and when we were replacing it, we found signs of
heat damage. Any idea why this would happen? Is it OK to deploy these
bulbs on the celing, facing down?

Here are 2 pictures of the
bulb:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7627347401427/

Thanks

By energy saving do you mean compaact fluuorescent? If yes, they must
have ventilation, and also burn base down or horiizzontal. You
mounted them in the worst possible environment.

I think I beat that environment. How about outside, in the sun, in a sealed
glass jar.
Must really get hot in there. I left it on continuous for over a year
before failure. No browning. I use them in closed up ceiling lights, and I
prefer it that way. I used to leave the hall light on all the time. I run 3
base up downstairs, on all the time. Never had a problem, except for
infantile failure. They will be changed to different fixtures eventually.
Just porcelain attached to joists.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote the following:
Hi, we have one of those energy saving bulbs installed in a room. The
bulb is installed on the ceiling light fixture, facing downwards.
Recently it burnt out and when we were replacing it, we found signs of
heat damage. Any idea why this would happen? Is it OK to deploy these
bulbs on the celing, facing down?

Here are 2 pictures of the bulb:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7627347401427/

Thanks

The many DFLs in my house are mounted base down, base sideways, and base
up. I have two desk lamps in front of me right now. One with the base
sideways and the other with the base up. There are CFLs with base up in
4 ceiling cans with lenses. They have been in there for at least a year
or more. None of them show any burn marks like yours, which looks like a
75 or 100 watt compatible.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , willshak wrote:
wrote the following:
Hi, we have one of those energy saving bulbs installed in a room. The
bulb is installed on the ceiling light fixture, facing downwards.
Recently it burnt out and when we were replacing it, we found signs of
heat damage. Any idea why this would happen? Is it OK to deploy these
bulbs on the celing, facing down?

Here are 2 pictures of the bulb:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7627347401427/

Thanks

The many DFLs in my house are mounted base down, base sideways, and base
up. I have two desk lamps in front of me right now. One with the base
sideways and the other with the base up. There are CFLs with base up in
4 ceiling cans with lenses. They have been in there for at least a year
or more. None of them show any burn marks like yours, which looks like a
75 or 100 watt compatible.

They will when they go bad. I've been using CFLs in my house for the last
eight or nine years, and nearly every one that has failed looks remarkably
similar to the photos posted by the OP. You just haven't had yours installed
long enough for you to see that. By the time another year has passed, you
will.

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in
m:

wrote the following:
Hi, we have one of those energy saving bulbs installed in a room. The
bulb is installed on the ceiling light fixture, facing downwards.
Recently it burnt out and when we were replacing it, we found signs
of heat damage. Any idea why this would happen? Is it OK to deploy
these bulbs on the celing, facing down?

Here are 2 pictures of the bulb:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7627347401427/

Thanks

The many DFLs in my house are mounted base down, base sideways, and
base up. I have two desk lamps in front of me right now. One with the
base sideways and the other with the base up. There are CFLs with base
up in 4 ceiling cans with lenses. They have been in there for at least
a year or more. None of them show any burn marks like yours, which
looks like a 75 or 100 watt compatible.

of course,it also depends on how a particular CFL is used,in terms of how
long it's left on.
a desk lamp may not be left on for long periods like a kitchen ceiling
light or living room table lamp,or on-off like a hall or bedroom light.

I haven't seen any decent LED desk lamps yet. I may build one myself.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik