Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Homing device may lead to fine

"BETHEL — A Vermont fisherman who caught a 9.5-pound salmon captured
something else, too — a homing device that ended up leading
authorities to the illegally-taken fish in his freezer."

Oops...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110816/NEWS07/110816003/Vermont-fisherman-hooks-salmon-homing-device-too

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
"BETHEL - A Vermont fisherman who caught a 9.5-pound salmon captured
something else, too - a homing device that ended up leading
authorities to the illegally-taken fish in his freezer."

Oops...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110816/NEWS07/110816003/Vermont-fisherman-hooks-salmon-homing-device-too

If he knew and took the fish anyway, he should get a big fine. Many of us
would have had no clue though, and just taken the fish. In that case, cut
him a break.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message
"BETHEL - A Vermont fisherman who caught a 9.5-pound salmon captured
something else, too - a homing device that ended up leading
authorities to the illegally-taken fish in his freezer."

Oops...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110816/NEWS07/110816003/Vermont-fisherman-hooks-salmon-homing-device-too

If he knew and took the fish anyway, he should get a big fine. Many
of us would have had no clue though, and just taken the fish. In
that case, cut him a break.

Being too stupid to identify a fish you catch would rarely be a justification
for breaking the law.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

If he knew and took the fish anyway, he should get a big fine. Many
of us would have had no clue though, and just taken the fish. In
that case, cut him a break.

Being too stupid to identify a fish you catch would rarely be a
justification for breaking the law.

While ignorance of the law is no excuse, ignorance of the facts is.

Unless the state can show he SHOULD have known the fish was protected, he's
off the hook (unlike the fish).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ignorance is no excuse....." the man used to say.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob F" wrote in message

Being too stupid to identify a fish you catch would rarely
be a justification
for breaking the law.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 05:52:36 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Bob F wrote:

If he knew and took the fish anyway, he should get a big fine. Many
of us would have had no clue though, and just taken the fish. In
that case, cut him a break.

Being too stupid to identify a fish you catch would rarely be a
justification for breaking the law.

While ignorance of the law is no excuse, ignorance of the facts is.

Unless the state can show he SHOULD have known the fish was protected, he's
off the hook (unlike the fish).

Yeah-- It isn't immediately clear in that article, but the problem
wasn't that the fish had a device in it-- The problem was that it was
a Salmon-- not a Brown.

This article is a little better-
http://www.gofishn.com/ned/reports/1...ar-fishing-ban
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3kc33z2

And points out that he was with an 'outfitter' - not sure exactly what
that means in VT-- but if I was paying someone to help me fish &
*they* didn't point out that I had to toss that beauty back-- I'd be a
little upset.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 23:02:28 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
"BETHEL - A Vermont fisherman who caught a 9.5-pound salmon captured
something else, too - a homing device that ended up leading
authorities to the illegally-taken fish in his freezer."

Oops...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110816/NEWS07/110816003/Vermont-fisherman-hooks-salmon-homing-device-too

If he knew and took the fish anyway, he should get a big fine. Many of us
would have had no clue though, and just taken the fish. In that case,
cut
him a break.

"I didn't know it was a protected fish" seldom works.

-snip-
Man-- the differences between Brown Trout and salmon are pretty
subtle. I can see how he might be fooled-- but I'm with you- no
excuse. Pay up buddy.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fish...browntrout.htm

In the field, with just one fish- I think I'd have to go with the
poorly arranged teeth on the roof of the mouth of the Brown. Now-- If
I just caught the biggest fish of my life, was fishing for Brown's-
and caught what I thought *was* one, would I think to check his dental
work? Probably not.

Jim

If this fish was so important to the state it should have had a visible tag
that alerted the unwary.
I have caught tagged fish that were ok to keep but asked for a report about
size and whereabouts.

It just seems to me that the biologists running this test/experiment /study
should have been more careful about protecting this fish.

Especially as it was one of two specimens. And a variety that could have
been misidentified.

Sounds like a case of professional negligence.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

We have the economy in the tank, children starving, and
criminals coming in the borders. So, the government tags
fish and prosecutes fishermen?

"If there is a wolf in your chickens, shoot your dog".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" wrote in message
"BETHEL - A Vermont fisherman who caught a 9.5-pound salmon
captured
something else, too - a homing device that ended up leading
authorities to the illegally-taken fish in his freezer."

Oops...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110816/NEWS07/110816003/Vermont-fisherman-hooks-salmon-homing-device-too

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote in
:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 23:02:28 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

m...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...NEWS07/1108160
[...]

Entrapment - excellent defense!!

I have caught tagged fish that were ok to keep but asked for a report
about size and whereabouts.

It just seems to me that the biologists running this test/experiment
/study should have been more careful about protecting this fish.

Especially as it was one of two specimens. And a variety that could
have been misidentified.

Sounds like a case of professional negligence.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
.. .

-snip-

-snip-
Man-- the differences between Brown Trout and salmon are pretty
subtle. I can see how he might be fooled-- but I'm with you- no
excuse. Pay up buddy.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fish...browntrout.htm

In the field, with just one fish- I think I'd have to go with the
poorly arranged teeth on the roof of the mouth of the Brown. Now-- If
I just caught the biggest fish of my life, was fishing for Brown's-
and caught what I thought *was* one, would I think to check his dental
work? Probably not.

Jim

If this fish was so important to the state it should have had a visible tag
that alerted the unwary.

It wasn't *the fish*. It is the species. Atlantic salmon are catch
& release in VT. [or were when this was caught anyway.] The
burden is on the fisherman to properly identify a species.

When I was a kid I wasn't sure of a surefire way to tell a big Rock
Bass [an unprotected species] from a smaller Largemouth Bass. [had to
be 12" long] So I tossed any of those questionable ones back unless
they were 12" & Bass season was open.

The introduction of an 'outfitter' is what bothers me in that account.
The outfitter apparently saw the fish and knew the guy was keeping it-
very publicly, BTW.

I have caught tagged fish that were ok to keep but asked for a report about
size and whereabouts.

That would have been the easy thing for the state to do-- and maybe
they would have learned even more about the fish in the process. But
it doesn't excuse the fisherman for keeping a protected species.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Oren" wrote in message

"BETHEL - A Vermont fisherman who caught a 9.5-pound salmon
captured
something else, too - a homing device that ended up leading
authorities to the illegally-taken fish in his freezer."

Oops...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110816/NEWS07/110816003/...

So you are advocating just not enforcing laws. That will sure cure
the economy.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

So you are advocating just not enforcing laws. That will sure cure
the economy.

Not enforcing the laws last week in the UK certainly caused a drain on the
economy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Harry K wrote:

So you are advocating just not enforcing laws. That will sure cure
the economy.

Not enforcing the laws last week in the UK certainly caused a drain on the
economy.

seems more like it was "not obeying the law". Could hardly call using 16000
police in London as not enforcing the law
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 16:06:55 -0700, Oren wrote:

"BETHEL — A Vermont fisherman who caught a 9.5-pound salmon captured
something else, too — a homing device that ended up leading
authorities to the illegally-taken fish in his freezer."

Oops...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110816/NEWS07/110816003/Vermont-fisherman-hooks-salmon-homing-device-too

Not being a fisherman I would like to ask a question. What are tax
dollars being spent on tracking the mating habits of two salmon and
the salaries of at least two fisheries biologists for?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 17:17:29 -0500, Gordon Shumway wrote:

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 16:06:55 -0700, Oren wrote:

"BETHEL — A Vermont fisherman who caught a 9.5-pound salmon captured
something else, too — a homing device that ended up leading
authorities to the illegally-taken fish in his freezer."

Oops...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110816/NEWS07/110816003/Vermont-fisherman-hooks-salmon-homing-device-too

Not being a fisherman I would like to ask a question. What are tax
dollars being spent on tracking the mating habits of two salmon and
the salaries of at least two fisheries biologists for?

Um, good stewardship of natural resources for future generations to
enjoy? I suspect much of the tax dollars come from license fees, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Jim, I am not condoning the guy keeping a fish that is a protected species.
But if this one particular fish was part of an important experiment, it
should have been adequately identified as such.
If the guy had caught others that were not being tracked he would still be
wrong but he would likely not have been apprehended.
It's pretty hard to check everybody's catch. We have to depend on peoples
integrity. Some have it others don't.

Here on the Florida SW gulf coast snook fishing as been in limbo for about a
year and a half with another year to go. We had an unusual cold snap that
set back the snook population. Catch and release is allowed. Release is the
key word.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 19:24:18 -0400, "Charlie"
wrote:

Here on the Florida SW gulf coast snook fishing as been in limbo for about a
year and a half with another year to go. We had an unusual cold snap that
set back the snook population. Catch and release is allowed. Release is the
key word.

Now you're making me hungry for Snook :-/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:31:58 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

We have the economy in the tank, children starving, and
criminals coming in the borders. So, the government tags
fish and prosecutes fishermen?

"If there is a wolf in your chickens, shoot your dog".

Sure, the state is now $1500 richer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lets make a tag detector. And then every time a tagged fish
is caught, strap it to the bottom of an Amtrak car.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

We have the economy in the tank, children starving, and
criminals coming in the borders. So, the government tags
fish and prosecutes fishermen?

"If there is a wolf in your chickens, shoot your dog".

Sure, the state is now $1500 richer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 07:16:54 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Lets make a tag detector. And then every time a tagged fish
is caught, strap it to the bottom of an Amtrak car.

Just wrap it in a newspaper and send it by USPS to Washington.
Posted to alt.home.repair
ZW ZW is offline

wrote in message

"BETHEL - A Vermont fisherman who caught a 9.5-pound salmon
captured
something else, too - a homing device that ended up leading
authorities to the illegally-taken fish in his freezer."

Oops...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110816/NEWS07/110816003/...

So you are advocating just not enforcing laws. That will sure cure
the economy.

Harry K

sure seems like -0jr is advocating not enforcing illegal immigration.
but that must be ok.

--
Right is never wrong, Left is never Right.