Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Some items in refrigerator are freezing

Frigidaire Refrigerator/Top-Mount Freezer, Model Number FRT21P5A.

I got a call from a tenant who is saying that some items in the refrigerator
are freezing up -- milk, vegetables, etc. Apparently, the freezer part is
working fine. However, she said if she turns the refrigerator temp setting
down (from "colder" toward "cold"), things in the fridge do not get cold
enough.

She said this is not an urgent problem, but she thinks it has been getting
worse over the past 6 months and she is concerned that maybe the
refrigerator is getting ready to fail. I am going to head over there in a
day or two.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions of what I should look for
or try while there? If it is not a simple fix or it needs a part replaced
or something like that, I'll have an appliance repair person come out. I
don't actual refrigerator repairs since I don't know enough about them.
But, if there is something I can try adjusting or cleaning or whatever, I'd
like to give that a try first.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RogerT wrote:
[...]

The first thing I would do is defrost the refrigerator completely. It
is probably a frost free one, but there still could be a lot of ice
build up that is not being removed during the defrost cycle. Check to
see that water is flowing via the rubber tube to the pan where the
defrost water evaporates. If the tube is blocked, then the water will
simply refreeze after the cycle.

Next check to see if the fan that blows cold air from the freezer
compartment to the refrigerator compartment is working well. If there
is any noise when the fan runs or obstruction due to ice build up so
that cold air is not being sent to the refrigerator compartment, that
could be the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken" wrote in message ...
RogerT wrote:
[...]

Yes. Likely probems. Also check door seal is god & not letting humid air in
which freezes.
Also putting in lots of wet, unwrapped food can cause excessive icing..

Posted to alt.home.repair

My first thought, evaporator fan is sluggish or not turning.
That, or a defrost problem. OTOH, it could be bad condensor,
or.... uh, and, of course....

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RogerT" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll probably be going there tomorrow
(Friday) to see if I can figure out what the problem is. I'll try looking
for what everyone suggested.

One thing that I am not sure of is why, if some of the problems suggested
are present, the refrigerator section would be colder than normal and cause
freezing rather than warmer than normal. I do see how if the door seal is a
problem maybe the more humid air would freeze easier in the refrigerator
section.

My guess is that I won't be able to figure it out on my own, but I'll post
back here either way just to follow up.

RogerT wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

RogerT wrote:
Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll probably be going there tomorrow
(Friday) to see if I can figure out what the problem is. I'll try looking
for what everyone suggested.

One thing that I am not sure of is why, if some of the problems suggested
are present, the refrigerator section would be colder than normal and cause
freezing rather than warmer than normal.

This may be a moot point since you are going to check out your
refrigerator, but since you asked: Most frig/freezer units have the
cooling coils in the freezer compartment, and they blow cold air into
the refrigerator compartment in order to cool it. If anything obstructs
the free flow of cold air into the frig compartment the thermostat
(located in the frig compartment) keeps the compressor running, even
though it is plenty cold in the freezer section.

So a fan blowing cold air that is not working properly, or any
obstruction to the flow of air would restrict the flow of cold air.
Additionally the unit has a defrost timer that starts the defrost cycle
expecting any ice that has accumulated to be defrosted during that
cycle. When this happens the melted ice is supposed to drain through a
hose into a pan sitting over the compressor motor. The heat from the
motor causes the water to evaporate. If the ice is so great that not
enough time is given for it to melt, the ice simply builds up even more.
The built up ice might even restrict the air flow.

Now there may be some variations to your unit, but the principle is
similar. Unplug the unit for a couple of hours and watch to see if
water is draining into the pan. If none is draining, you might have a
clogged drain hose or a large accumulation of ice.

RogerT wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken" wrote in message ...
RogerT wrote:

RogerT wrote:
[...]

My first thought is the settings. She can fix this without you going over.
Assuming that there is a separate knob for the freezer and the refrigerator
temp controls, set the freezer to one notch colder. Wait a day and see what
happens.

The refrigerator temp control controls the thermostat that turns the
compressor on and off. The freezer temp control simply adjusts the amount
of cold that goes from the freezer to the refrigerator area. Setting the
freezer knob one notch colder will let less cold air in the freezer pass
into the refrigerator and thus make that compartment warmer. It takes a day
or so for the temps to balance, and getting the adjustments right is a trial
and error exercise which may take several days to complete. It can be made
more accurate if you buy her two refrigerator thermometers, one for the
freezer, one for the refrigerator compartment.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Good luck, this may be simpler and cheaper than you think.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RogerT" wrote:
[...]

I had that problem with stuff in the freezer blocking the ports. The
freezer was trying to work too hard, freezing the fridge.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
"RogerT" wrote:
[...]

See if the refrig maker has a help line or website. Could be an airflow
problem in either the freezer, as Greg says, or the refrig.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 10, 1:36*pm, "RogerT" wrote:
Frigidaire Refrigerator/Top-Mount Freezer, Model Number FRT21P5A.

I got a call from a tenant who is saying that some items in the refrigerator
are freezing up -- milk, vegetables, etc. Apparently, the freezer part is
working fine. *However, she said if she turns the refrigerator temp setting
down (from "colder" toward "cold"), things in the fridge do not get cold
enough.

Weird coincidence, the fridge part of our bottom-freezer "dual temp"
Maytag has been getting too cold over the past week, too. While I was
coming up with an improbable, over-complicated explanation about
condensation and evaporative cooling, my wife took it apart and
figured it out.

On this model, the airflow from the freezer into the fridge is
moderated by a rectangular spring-loaded damper, way at the top back
of the compartment, which is moved by a plunger driven by a mechanical
thermostatic mechanism offset by the fridge's temp dial. This is all
hidden behind plastic bezels.

What had happened was the damper's spring had come unhooked and the
damper was hanging wide open, allowing freezer air to flow freely into
the fridge.

(On these models the freezer has its own temp dial, which controls the
actual compressor cycle; so no matter how we dialed the fridge the
compressor kept running and freezing both compartments. On a single-
dial appliance, turning down the dial will reduce compressor
operation, which is why your tenants can get it into a not-cold-enough
mode if they dial it down enough.)

My wife hooked it back up (without dropping it into the air channel,
as I would have) and hey presto, back to normal.

Chip C
Toronto

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2011 9:35 AM, Chip C wrote:
On Aug 10, 1:36 pm, wrote:
[...]

does she make house calls?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chip C wrote:
While I was
coming up with an improbable, over-complicated explanation about
condensation and evaporative cooling, my wife took it apart and
figured it out.

Bitch! BSEG

Buy her a beer-- and bring it to her.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Every fridge I've serviced, the temp control is in
refrigerator section. Other than that, sounds like a good
fix.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Chip C" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Chip C" wrote in message

[...]

Sears just fixed a similar problem in our Kenmore. Don't know what
they did, as only my housemate was at home.

BUT, fridge started making funny noises later that day. They were
intermittent, so I put off calling for service. Last night, the
fridge and freezer temp began to shoot up. We called Sears at 11:30
PM, and a live human answered, promising service for today, Saturday,
while simultaneously saying that someone would call the day before, to
confirm. We pointed out that there were now only 10 minutes left in
"the day before," and the person on the phone finally seemed to
understand and promised someone would be here this afternoon.

About 6 AM today, Sears sent me an e=-mail saying that my fridge would
be fixed....Monday morning. And that "You'll get a confirmation call
the day before."

So much for all the food in there!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chip wrote in message

[...]

(sorry for the direct reply- Tbird is still randomly sending to author
instead of group)

Too late now, I guess, but no gas stations near you sell bags of ice?

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

All your food is solid as Sears?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ivan" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chip *wrote in message

[...]

aem sends....- Hide quoted text -

Gas stations don't, but convenience stores do. Right now, we have ice
bags in the fridge, the freezer, and a picnic cooler (which seems to
be doing the best job).
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Sears called back later in the day, saying I should call them about
rescheduling. Now they're sending someone on the 23d!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks again to everyone for all of the suggestions. I finally got over to
the house to really check out the fridge and I couldn't find much of a
problem. "Maybe" there was a tiny bit of slight icing up on one bottle of
Coke that was there but I couldn't find anything else frozen. The tenant
pointing to a pot of rice-and-something that she said was frozen, but it was
actually something with some fat-type product in it and the fat had
solidified but wasn't "frozen".

I did check everything out that everyone suggested (I printed out all of the
ideas before going there and checked them all) and nothing seemed to be a
problem -- nothing was blocked, nothing covering the thermostat, etc. The
freezer thermostat was set at the middle "recommended" setting and the
fridge thermostat was set to the coldest setting. I turned the freezer
thermostat more toward the colder setting and backed off the fridge
thermostat one notch back from the coldest setting toward the less cold
setting. We'll see what happens after the fridge adjusts to the new
seetings, but I think it will be fine.

RogerT wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

RogerT wrote:
[...]

First, you must know how a refrigerator/freezer works.
The freezer is the sole source of the cooling in the fridge.
If the valve between the freezer and fridge freezes up, cold air will
continue to flow into the fridge, and it will become as cold as the freezer.
The only fix is to pull the plug and let the valve defrost and be
operationable.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
RogerT wrote the following:
[...]

I don't think my situation would involve the valve you described being
frozen since the items in the fridge are not really freezing.

Someone here and/or something that I read in the Frigidaire manual suggested
turning the freezer thermostat to a colder setting and moving the fridge
thermostat to a less cold setting. So I tried that for now and I have a
hunch that will work.

Outside loo and freezing Booty UK diy 12 December 16th 10 01:36 AM
Refrigerator freezing in unheated area.... MournSword Home Ownership 2 March 13th 07 12:55 AM
I'm freezing! cndlane Home Repair 4 December 9th 06 09:00 AM
I'm freezing! cndlane Home Repair 2 December 6th 06 03:30 AM
Freezer part of Kitchenaid refrigerator not freezing LurfysMa Home Repair 7 November 29th 05 04:10 AM