Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Default Pool Vacuum Hose Question

If this question should be on a different group, please let me know; I
don't want to create clutter here.

We have a Hayward Pool-Vac Ultra that is powered through about 35 feet
of 1 1/2 inch (sectional) hose. The hose frequently gets twisted into
loops that keep the vacuum from cleaning all of the pool. We have
replaced the gear-box and most of the other parts, but that didn't
help. What we think would help is some kind of a swivel joint that
could be placed between sections of the hose, but we have not been
able to find any such coupling. Do any of you know of something like
this, or do any of you have any other suggestions on what we can do to
eliminate this hose looping?

'Sorry if this question is off-topic; I just don't know where else to
ask.

Lee
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 15:27:54 -0700 (PDT), Lee wrote:

If this question should be on a different group, please let me know; I
don't want to create clutter here.

We have a Hayward Pool-Vac Ultra that is powered through about 35 feet
of 1 1/2 inch (sectional) hose. The hose frequently gets twisted into
loops that keep the vacuum from cleaning all of the pool. We have
replaced the gear-box and most of the other parts, but that didn't
help. What we think would help is some kind of a swivel joint that
could be placed between sections of the hose, but we have not been
able to find any such coupling. Do any of you know of something like
this, or do any of you have any other suggestions on what we can do to
eliminate this hose looping?

'Sorry if this question is off-topic; I just don't know where else to
ask.

Lee

People answered you last week. Is your Google broken or what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lee" wrote in message
If this question should be on a different group, please let me know; I
don't want to create clutter here.

We have a Hayward Pool-Vac Ultra that is powered through about 35 feet
of 1 1/2 inch (sectional) hose. The hose frequently gets twisted into
loops that keep the vacuum from cleaning all of the pool. We have
replaced the gear-box and most of the other parts, but that didn't
help. What we think would help is some kind of a swivel joint that
could be placed between sections of the hose, but we have not been
able to find any such coupling. Do any of you know of something like
this, or do any of you have any other suggestions on what we can do to
eliminate this hose looping?

'Sorry if this question is off-topic; I just don't know where else to
ask.

Lee

When I had mine rebuilt, I watched the guy. He took out the gearbox, and
examined it carefully, scratched a few bits of stuff out, and proclaimed it
good to go. He said that those that were heavily encrusted would be soaked
in vinegar for a couple of days. As a last resort, I would try that. Plus
look for the obvious. I have one, and many times when I would have trouble
with it, the reason was something obvious I overlooked.

HTH

Steve

--

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Steve,
Thanks for your advice, I'll take another look at it, but after
replacing the gear box and a bunch of other parts, I'm not sure that
will be the answer. I asked Hayward the same question and received
the answer below from one of their tech-reps.

"The cleaner is having a steering issue. Do what is called a hang
test. Lift it up off the floor by the hose and watch it for 4 minutes.
It should turn both directions, against the hose, a couple of turns
and stop for a few seconds between directions. If it turns one
direction only or doesn't turn, change the gear box.

"If it passes the test, you’re looking at the A-frame and Turbine for
the fix. The hoses are stationary so that the cleaner can turn against
them. If one side is taking good steps and the other side is just
vibrating, then look at the A-frame and Turbine AX621DAT Kit."

I'll try the suggested "Hang-Test" and see what happens and will let
all know.

Lee
PS: for the person above, I couldn't find my first post despite a
thorough search for it, which is why I reposted it. SORRY!

On Aug 8, 4:24*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Lee" wrote in message

When I had mine rebuilt, I watched the guy. *He took out the gearbox, and
examined it carefully, scratched a few bits of stuff out, and proclaimed it
good to go. * He said that those that were heavily encrusted would be soaked
in vinegar for a couple of days. *As a last resort, I would try that. *Plus
look for the obvious. *I have one, and many times when I would have trouble
with it, the reason was something obvious I overlooked.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Lee, Cscott515 wrote:
We are having the exact same problem and I was hoping for ideas on how to fix

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...on-644897-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 9:44:04 AM UTC-4, Cscott515 wrote:
replying to Lee, Cscott515 wrote:
We are having the exact same problem and I was hoping for ideas on how to fix

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...on-644897-.htm

Have you called tech support at Hayward? A pool forum might have more
people familiar with the specific eqpt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 08:08:36 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 9:44:04 AM UTC-4, Cscott515 wrote:
replying to Lee, Cscott515 wrote:
We are having the exact same problem and I was hoping for ideas on how to fix

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...on-644897-.htm

Have you called tech support at Hayward? A pool forum might have more
people familiar with the specific eqpt.

(S)he probably has a Navigator and twisting the hose is a common
symptom caused by a bunch of problems, mostly worn out parts. You can
buy a "kit" which is basically everything but the top and bottom cover
for about $200 on Amazon and that will fix it for quite a while.
Navigators are great pool cleaners but they are maintenance hogs.
If you want to "piece at a time" it, be sure you have good shoes, the
rocker arms are tight on the shaft and that the rollers on the wocka
wocka are free with no flat spots. That is just the start tho.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Sep 2016 13:44:01 +0000, Cscott515
m wrote:

replying to Lee, Cscott515 wrote:
We are having the exact same problem and I was hoping for ideas on how to fix

Can you clarify the "problem"? Seems you left out some important
information; while using the "Home Moaners" hub (Chris coined the
phrase).