Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rid X For Septic Systems ?

"Fake ID" wrote in message
In article , Bob
wrote:

Had our septic system pumped out, and the guy suggested using Rid X,
periodically.

Any opinions on ?
Any negatives or caveats to its use ?

How often (he didn't say)?

Thoughts on would be most appreciated.

I wonder how RidX compares to the Drain Care product from Home Depot
that's supposed to clean pipes by enzymatic action. I've been treating
the kitchen drain with Drain Care and it occurred to me that it might
just be the same stuff as RidX, which has a reputation of being a waste
of money.

Look at it this way: if you put **** into a tank designed to decompose it
and liquefy it, and leave it alone for months, there's basically no simpler
system. No moving parts. It goes in, it liquefies, it goes out. Solids
remain, and if a person monitors their input, there will be such a minimal
level of solids, pumping is barely necessary for a decade. It is when soaps
and oils and fats are added that the balance is upset. All additives are
designed to give the user a feeling of well-being to compensate for their
abuse of their septic tank.

Now, it is almost impossible to keep "stuff" out of a septic system, unless
there is a dedicated separate grey water system. Oils and fats and soaps
will make their way down the drain, no matter how careful anyone is.
Perhaps there are biodegradable soaps, but then again, you are getting into
the ionosphere of spendiness, and still some oils from cooking and dishes
will get around them.

The issue is NOT RidX or Drain Care, or even simple yeast packets. It's
what people put into their septic system that they should not. Some people
do not even put toilet paper into their septic system. It's all about how
specific you want to be.

At our mountain cabin, we have a SMALL system, therefore, only water and
crap go in there. No toilet paper. Will it make a difference? I believe
so.

Steve