Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Man electrocuted while "allegedly" stealing wiring (HOUMA, LA)

What gets me is that the AP feels some sort of idiosyncratic need to
report that this guy was "allegedly" trying to steal copper wire.

Would it kill them to NOT use the word "allegedly" in their reporting?

Could it be more obvious that he was absolutely trying to steal copper
wire?

http://www.wafb.com/story/15201683/m...tealing-wiring

Man electrocuted while allegedly stealing wiring

HOUMA, LA (AP) -

A 34-year-old man was electrocuted while allegedly breaking in to steal
copper wiring.

According to the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff's Office, electric company
workers found the body of Timothy Lewis of Houma after getting a call
early Wednesday about lost power.

Lewis was pronounced dead at the scene.

A Houma newspaper reported Lewis broke through a fence at a substation
there and was killed when he cut a ground line with a pair of wire
cutters.

The death was still being investigated, though no foul play is
suspected.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:
[...]

Sounds like foul play to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Home Guy wrote:
What gets me is that the AP feels some sort of idiosyncratic need to
report that this guy was "allegedly" trying to steal copper wire.

Would it kill them to NOT use the word "allegedly" in their reporting?

Could it be more obvious that he was absolutely trying to steal copper
wire?

You're right it would not kill them to leave out the word allegedly. But
the problem is this. Who then decides and on what criteria to leave the
word out and accuse the guy of stealing? If they come to the wrong
conclusion, they will be accuse of false reporting and potentially open
to a lawsuit. I can see it taking a lot more time and money for the paper
than it's worth. I would not want to
be the guy deciding when to leave the word out.

http://www.wafb.com/story/15201683/m...tealing-wiring

Man electrocuted while allegedly stealing wiring

HOUMA, LA (AP) -

A 34-year-old man was electrocuted while allegedly breaking in to
steal copper wiring.

According to the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff's Office, electric company
workers found the body of Timothy Lewis of Houma after getting a call
early Wednesday about lost power.

Lewis was pronounced dead at the scene.

A Houma newspaper reported Lewis broke through a fence at a substation
there and was killed when he cut a ground line with a pair of wire
cutters.

The death was still being investigated, though no foul play is
suspected.

Sounds like foul play to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.. wrote:

You're right it would not kill them to leave out the word allegedly. But
the problem is this. Who then decides and on what criteria to
leave the word out and accuse the guy of stealing? If they come to
the wrong conclusion, they will be accuse of false reporting and
potentially open to a lawsuit. I can see it taking a lot more time and
money for the
paper than it's worth. I would not want to
be the guy deciding when to leave the word out.

Sigh. If only there were such a tort as "false reporting."

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

. wrote:

You're right it would not kill them to leave out the word allegedly. But
the problem is this. Who then decides and on what criteria to
leave the word out and accuse the guy of stealing? If they come to
the wrong conclusion, they will be accuse of false reporting and
potentially open to a lawsuit. I can see it taking a lot more time and
money for the
paper than it's worth. I would not want to
be the guy deciding when to leave the word out.

Sigh. If only there were such a tort as "false reporting."

Libel or slander was the reason we were told in J-School to use
alleged until the jury returned and the gavel went down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 10:14:22 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

Would it kill them to NOT use the word "allegedly" in their reporting?

No. They could have written "suspected" of stealing. Using "allegedly"
simple means the man was / has not been convicted of the crime of
stealing. Say he was NOT convicted of stealing, he could not sue the
paper for using "allegedly".

Is that clear as mud?

( I'm not a lawyer or journalist ) It has been alleged I broke a girls
hearts a time of two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 14:54:49 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

. wrote:

You're right it would not kill them to leave out the word allegedly. But
the problem is this. Who then decides and on what criteria to
leave the word out and accuse the guy of stealing? If they come to
the wrong conclusion, they will be accuse of false reporting and
potentially open to a lawsuit. I can see it taking a lot more time and
money for the
paper than it's worth. I would not want to
be the guy deciding when to leave the word out.

Sigh. If only there were such a tort as "false reporting."

Libel or slander was the reason we were told in J-School to use
alleged until the jury returned and the gavel went down.

And police use "person of interest".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2011 9:14 AM, Home Guy wrote:
What gets me is that the AP feels some sort of idiosyncratic need to
report that this guy was "allegedly" trying to steal copper wire.

Would it kill them to NOT use the word "allegedly" in their reporting?

Could it be more obvious that he was absolutely trying to steal copper
wire?

I get sick of that word also.
--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Home Guy" wrote in message ...
What gets me is that the AP feels some sort of idiosyncratic need to
report that this guy was "allegedly" trying to steal copper wire.

Would it kill them to NOT use the word "allegedly" in their reporting?

Could it be more obvious that he was absolutely trying to steal copper
wire?

Allegedly covers all things, like hardly any radiation, or I only put the
head in, Judge, I didn't rape her. And nothing was ever proven in a court
of law, and no small farm animals were permanently damaged.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
. wrote:

You're right it would not kill them to leave out the word allegedly. But
the problem is this. Who then decides and on what criteria to
leave the word out and accuse the guy of stealing? If they come to
the wrong conclusion, they will be accuse of false reporting and
potentially open to a lawsuit. I can see it taking a lot more time and
money for the
paper than it's worth. I would not want to
be the guy deciding when to leave the word out.

Sigh. If only there were such a tort as "false reporting."

What a job! Use "allegedly" and you can write anything, facts be damned.
The only thing better is being a weatherman.

"According to predictions, the chance of rain tomorrow is 50%". (Meaning,
it's going to rain tomorrow or not.) Either way, you get it right. Put me
in front of a blue screen and give me $100k a year and bennies, and just let
me have access to the Internet and Google, and I could be a decent
weatherman. A $4 Salvation Army suit, a $75 used laptop, and a little
George Carlin schtick, I could do it. Where do I apply?

Hey, Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. Al Sleet, your hippy dippy
weathermannnnnnnnnnn..........................

Steve

--

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Libel or slander was the reason we were told in J-School to use
alleged until the jury returned and the gavel went down.

The guy is dead. He's not going to sue.

And what's more, there will never be a determination (legal or
otherwise) that he was infact trying to steal the wire. He'll never be
tried or convicted of the crime.

The only public opportunity to label him or describe him as a thief, or
to say in a public venue that he died while thieving, was lost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just for the sake of argument, suppose the alleged wire thief was in fact
murdered, and the murdered concocted a plot to kill him by electrocution,
then cover it up br dragging his body into the substation, planting a pair
of wire cutters on his body, and snipping some handy wire nearby?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 19:23:15 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Libel or slander was the reason we were told in J-School to use
alleged until the jury returned and the gavel went down.

The guy is dead. He's not going to sue.

The family can. A grieving mother will fight, if nothing else but to
say "my son was innocent". He would never steal.

And what's more, there will never be a determination (legal or
otherwise) that he was infact trying to steal the wire. He'll never be
tried or convicted of the crime.

No. He met his maker.

The only public opportunity to label him or describe him as a thief, or
to say in a public venue that he died while thieving, was lost.

Go steal some movies, music, etc., and we can save you from being
called a thief.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry W wrote:

Just for the sake of argument, suppose the alleged wire thief was
in fact murdered, and the murdered concocted a plot to kill him
by electrocution,

I think this is what you're looking for:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occams_razor

Or perhaps, to put that another way:

"Murder, she wrote." is a fictional TV show.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

"Home Guy" wrote in message ...
What gets me is that the AP feels some sort of idiosyncratic need to
report that this guy was "allegedly" trying to steal copper wire.

Would it kill them to NOT use the word "allegedly" in their reporting?

Could it be more obvious that he was absolutely trying to steal copper
wire?

Allegedly covers all things, like hardly any radiation, or I only put the
head in, Judge, I didn't rape her. And nothing was ever proven in a court
of law, and no small farm animals were permanently damaged.

Steve

It covers things like not getting the paper or radio station sued. That
is pretty much its only function in real life. But it is an important
one. (g).

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Home Guy wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Libel or slander was the reason we were told in J-School to use
alleged until the jury returned and the gavel went down.

The guy is dead. He's not going to sue.

His estate still can. I was actually sued once in my Glory Days as a
reporter by a guy's estate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Would it kill them to NOT use the word "allegedly" in their
reporting?

Newspapers write stories about criminal acts 365 days a year. If just
one of those stories was incorrect and the person was innocent and
that person successfully sued the newspaper, then that could ruin the
newspaper financially. Best to always use the word "allegedly".

Also if a newspaper is sued and the newspaper wins the lawsuit, they
STILL have to pay their lawyers! So they lose anyway. And lawyers are
not cheap. So also best to discourage any potential lawsuits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Libel or slander was the reason we were told in J-School to
use alleged until the jury returned and the gavel went down.

The guy is dead. He's not going to sue.

His estate still can.

This is why you guys (the USA) is going down the toilet.

Punative damage awards.

Some 2-bit piece of what trash dies while messing around in a power
sub-station cutting live wires, and the media reporting the story is
afraid that what's left of his family is going to sue them from their
mobile home because they didn't use the word "allegedly" in their
reporting.

They'll take them to court and sue for $10 million for some sort of
crazy-ass "pain and suffering" and the jury (also composed of trash of
one color or another) will give it to them.

I was actually sued once in my Glory Days as a reporter by a guy's
estate.

Why did they sue you?

Because they wanted to rob you because they perceived you (or your
employer) had deep pockets?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:

Would it kill them to NOT use the word "allegedly" in their
reporting?

Newspapers write stories about criminal acts 365 days a year.
If just one of those stories was incorrect and the person was
innocent and that person successfully sued the newspaper,
then that could ruin the newspaper financially.

No.

The newspaper just prints a retraction the next day.

Freedom of the press. Free speech.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 19:17:11 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Libel or slander was the reason we were told in J-School to
use alleged until the jury returned and the gavel went down.

The guy is dead. He's not going to sue.

His estate still can.

This is why you guys (the USA) is going down the toilet.

"..."It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the..."

In America we can own land, carry guns and harvest food.

Can youse guys up yonder own land?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

This is why you guys (the USA) is going down the toilet.

In America we can own land, carry guns and harvest food.

In Canada, we can do all 3. Not as many people choose to do #2.

Can youse guys up yonder own land?

Not only can we own land, no level of gov't can force us to sell our
land to a private corporation for commercial use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

Can youse guys up yonder own land?

Considering what caused your last recession, and the number of vacant
homes being canibalized, I'd say we're doing a better job here in Canada
of owning land than you are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I checked with Agatha Christie, and she says it was a nice
plot. She'll use it on her next show. Post your adress, so
she will know where to send the royalty check.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Larry W" wrote in message
Just for the sake of argument, suppose the alleged wire
thief was in fact
murdered, and the murdered concocted a plot to kill him by
electrocution,
then cover it up br dragging his body into the substation,
planting a pair
of wire cutters on his body, and snipping some handy wire
nearby?

conversation
with the average voter. (Winston
Churchill)

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.
lonestar. org

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 22:57:03 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

Oren wrote:

Can youse guys up yonder own land?

Considering what caused your last recession, and the number of vacant
homes being canibalized, I'd say we're doing a better job here in Canada
of owning land than you are.

Sorry. I thought your Queen had some say, about youse forieners..
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Home Guy wrote:

They'll take them to court and sue for $10 million for some sort of
crazy-ass "pain and suffering" and the jury (also composed of trash of
one color or another) will give it to them.

I always had liability insurance not so much so I could afford to
lose. I had it more so I could afford to win. Even if they don't get the
$10 million, I am still out $10,000s. The funny part is that the utility
company is probably gonna get sued because they were negligent in
securing the site or he wouldn't have had the opportunity to fry
himself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2011 10:14 AM, Home Guy wrote:
What gets me is that the AP feels some sort of idiosyncratic need to
report that this guy was "allegedly" trying to steal copper wire.

I am pretty sure the AP is not part of the judicial system.

Would it kill them to NOT use the word "allegedly" in their reporting?

Sure would save a lot of time in investigations and crimes if we could
just turn to the AP and let them make the final pronouncement.

Could it be more obvious that he was absolutely trying to steal copper
wire?

I don't know? Where you there? Have you reviewed the evidence? Should we
always simply go with the trained forensic team from the local newspaper?

http://www.wafb.com/story/15201683/m...tealing-wiring

Man electrocuted while allegedly stealing wiring

HOUMA, LA (AP) -

A 34-year-old man was electrocuted while allegedly breaking in to steal
copper wiring.

According to the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff's Office, electric company
workers found the body of Timothy Lewis of Houma after getting a call
early Wednesday about lost power.

Lewis was pronounced dead at the scene.

A Houma newspaper reported Lewis broke through a fence at a substation
there and was killed when he cut a ground line with a pair of wire
cutters.

The death was still being investigated, though no foul play is
suspected.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2011 7:23 PM, Home Guy wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Libel or slander was the reason we were told in J-School to use
alleged until the jury returned and the gavel went down.

The guy is dead. He's not going to sue.

His estate can.

And what's more, there will never be a determination (legal or
otherwise) that he was infact trying to steal the wire. He'll never be
tried or convicted of the crime.

You are right. We should always run with whatever the local newspaper
prints. That would sure save a lot of time for the police and the courts.

The only public opportunity to label him or describe him as a thief, or
to say in a public venue that he died while thieving, was lost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Home Guy" wrote in message ...

What gets me is that the AP feels some sort of idiosyncratic need to
report that this guy was "allegedly" trying to steal copper wire.

Would it kill them to NOT use the word "allegedly" in their reporting?

Could it be more obvious that he was absolutely trying to steal copper
wire?

It's a standard tactic, it protects them if someone sues them for being
falsely identified as a criminal. Granted, that is unlikely in this case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Sigh. If only there were such a tort as "false reporting."

You pals at Fox wouldn't like that, they went to court in defense of the
position that they are under no obligation to report the news accurately, or
more specifically they can report the news falsely if they want to.

Of course if they commit defamation in the process they can be sued, but the
news can be slanted all over the map without committing libel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Home Guy" wrote in message ...

The guy is dead. He's not going to sue.

And what's more, there will never be a determination (legal or
otherwise) that he was infact trying to steal the wire. He'll never be
tried or convicted of the crime.

The only public opportunity to label him or describe him as a thief, or
to say in a public venue that he died while thieving, was lost.

Unless his family sues the electric company, claiming that the company's
negligence led to the death of this poor guy who wandered into their
facility by accident. Think that's unlikely? There have been such cases,
no question the victim was trespassing, had to climb over a fence and ignore
warning signs, but that didn't stop the family from suing. I remember one
case where two kids were badly burned after climbing a fence into an
electrical substation, the jury apparently figured the power company (or its
insurance carrier) could afford the lengthy medical treatment the kids would
need. It keeps happening too....

http://gothamist.com/2006/09/19/family_to_sue_d.php

Family to Sue Department of Education for $10 Million Over Son's Death

Last week, a Brooklyn teenager died after being electrocuted while climbing
a fence at PS 217 in Ditmas Park. Luis Rivera and friends were leaving the
school's basketball courts (which had been closed) around 8PM, and when
Rivera climbed the fence, he brushed up against a light fixture which was
not properly "grounded" and was shocked. Now his family has filed a notice
of claim to sue the Department of Education for $10 million. The DOE isn't
commenting now that there's a lawsuit, but it had initially said that Rivera
was trespassing and that he wasn't even a student at PS 217. NY1 reports
Rivera's brother as saying, "My brother really was a very special, special
person who was trying to make a change for better in his life. And the
opportunity was taken from him drastically, and I just want to make sure
that someone takes [responsibility] for what happened that day."

And Con Ed isn't involved in this case - the electrical fixtures are all the
school's responsibility. Last week, the DOE told the Daily News that because
the fixture was so high (see this picture), the problem wasn't noticed.

http://www.khou.com/news/Family-of-b...-91534619.html

Family of boy shocked while climbing electrical tower considers lawsuit