Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Surveillance video of copper wiring being stolen from Fayetteville, NC daycare center

Some discussion of Cu & AC thefts recently.

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/vi...n=fayetteville
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2011 7:14 PM, Red Green wrote:
Some discussion of Cu& AC thefts recently.

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/vi...n=fayetteville

Well, here in Tulsa thieves stole several hundred feet of
copper wire from a live power substation. They knocked out
power to thousands of people in the middle of a heat wave.
Personally I don't think I want to go cutting a live
wire at 7,000 volts or higher.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/vi...heel=90634&sit
esection=fayetteville

My favorite part was where the one guy obviously had his mask down
around his neck. "Here's your sign"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 8:14*pm, Red Green wrote:
Some discussion of Cu & AC thefts recently.

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/vi...706&freewheel=....

Fools!

They should have taken the condensors too. If you pull the coil out
of the case you get $3.65 a pound.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/vi...06&freewheel=9
0634&sitesection=fayetteville

Well, here in Tulsa thieves stole several hundred feet of
copper wire from a live power substation. They knocked out
power to thousands of people in the middle of a heat wave.
Personally I don't think I want to go cutting a live
wire at 7,000 volts or higher.

Bill

some theifs don't survive the attempt.... B-)

time to put anti-tamper mine fields around power substations.
Maybe exploding dye packs to stain the thieves and the stolen metal for
later identification.

thieves also steal brass pipe valves,air conditioner units,catalytic
converters from under PU trucks,and I've seen rebar cages around some of
those items to prevent theft.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, here in Tulsa thieves stole several hundred feet of
copper wire from a live power substation. They knocked out
power to thousands of people in the middle of a heat wave.
Personally I don't think I want to go cutting a live
wire at 7,000 volts or higher.

The electric company in my area has not seemed overly concerned about
wire theft from its power poles and substations. I wondered why they
were not doing anything???

Then I read about a few people getting electrocuted doing this...
Seems they know the problem will take care of itself over time!

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 8/2/2011 7:05 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

thieves also steal brass pipe valves,air conditioner units,catalytic
converters from under PU trucks,and I've seen rebar cages around some of
those items to prevent theft.

We've had a rash of catalytic converter thefts around here. MY friend on
the next street over had his stolen from his 4Runner. Toyota trucks are
favorite targets. It takes them only a minute with a battery powered
reciprocating saw.

There are several solutions that make it enough of a pain to get the
converter that they move on to other targets.

http://www.catclamp.com/how.php
http://store.winner-intl.com/the-cat-cuff-p27.aspx
http://www.cat-lock.com/

None of these would deter a determined thief with unlimited time, but
are probably enough to get them to move down the street to the next vehicle.

I wound aircraft cable around mine and locked it to the frame. The
cables are difficult to cut with the reciprocating saw because they move
around so much when cutting. That's what the video of trying to saw a
Cat-Cuff also shows. A tight, immobile cable, is easy to cut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2011 11:52 AM, SMS wrote:
[...]

They KNOW the cure for scrap metal thieves- eliminate the market. Make
scrap yards keep log books and get ID from all walk-in sellers, about
like a pawn shop. Several states have put that into effect, and it seems
to work.

-- aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 20:29:25 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 8/2/2011 11:52 AM, SMS wrote:
[...]

It seems to be working down here. There was quite a rash of AC thefts a
couple of years ago but I've heard nothing in the (local) news recently.
As you note, just force the junk dealers to take IDs for any scrap bought over
the counter. Photographs would help, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

They KNOW the cure for scrap metal thieves- eliminate the market. Make
scrap yards keep log books and get ID from all walk-in sellers, about
like a pawn shop. Several states have put that into effect, and it seems
to work.

Las Vegas will (honorable scrap yards) take a thumb print, copy of
license and if the money paid reaches a set amount checks are issued
in lieu of cash.

Some crooks haul material to California instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:fu6h37t3iksnl22gif3a3i0h0l3thuljro@
4ax.com:

wrote:

They KNOW the cure for scrap metal thieves- eliminate the market. Make
scrap yards keep log books and get ID from all walk-in sellers, about
like a pawn shop. Several states have put that into effect, and it seems
to work.

Las Vegas will (honorable scrap yards) take a thumb print, copy of
license and if the money paid reaches a set amount checks are issued
in lieu of cash.

Some crooks haul material to California instead.

Dumb asses! They could make more $ bringing 100w incandescents.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

They KNOW the cure for scrap metal thieves- eliminate the market. Make
scrap yards keep log books and get ID from all walk-in sellers, about
like a pawn shop. Several states have put that into effect, and it seems
to work.

Las Vegas will (honorable scrap yards) take a thumb print, copy of
license and if the money paid reaches a set amount checks are issued
in lieu of cash.

Some crooks haul material to California instead.

Well, you aren't gonna do much to discourage industrial-scale metal
harvesting, but few thieves have that kind of front money to set it up
as an ongoing operation. And the ones with any brain cells know state
border means federal time, if nailed. But the scrap yard as pawn shop
rules do mostly weed out the kids, and the low-lifes with bills to pay
or a habit to feed, and access to a pickup truck or old station wagon.
And hanging the occasional scrap dealer out in public, when obvious
stuff like manhole covers or new copper is found in his yard, gets the
message across to the other yards pretty quickly. Those cranes and that
railroad siding cost a lot of bucks, and no owner will tolerate a
counter guy making a few bucks on the side, if it means the place gets
padlocked while the cops do a wall-to-wall check of the yard.

-- aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

They KNOW the cure for scrap metal thieves- eliminate the market. Make
scrap yards keep log books and get ID from all walk-in sellers, about
like a pawn shop. Several states have put that into effect, and it seems
to work.

Las Vegas will (honorable scrap yards) take a thumb print, copy of
license and if the money paid reaches a set amount checks are issued
in lieu of cash.

Some crooks haul material to California instead.

Dumb asses! They could make more $ bringing 100w incandescents.

Sellin' 100w bulbs requires tooth impressions from the seller and
anybody he has ever known.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Gill wrote:
On 8/1/2011 7:14 PM, Red Green wrote:
Some discussion of Cu& AC thefts recently.

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/vi...n=fayetteville

Well, here in Tulsa thieves stole several hundred feet of
copper wire from a live power substation. They knocked out
power to thousands of people in the middle of a heat wave.
Personally I don't think I want to go cutting a live
wire at 7,000 volts or higher.

Bill

Hmm,
In China a guy got killed(zapped) trying to do that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 20:05:21 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

Bill Gill wrote:
On 8/1/2011 7:14 PM, Red Green wrote:
Some discussion of Cu& AC thefts recently.

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/vi...n=fayetteville

Well, here in Tulsa thieves stole several hundred feet of
copper wire from a live power substation. They knocked out
power to thousands of people in the middle of a heat wave.
Personally I don't think I want to go cutting a live
wire at 7,000 volts or higher.

Bill

Hmm,
In China a guy got killed(zapped) trying to do that.

Closer to home, last month a guy tried to remove the feeds from what he assumed
was an abandoned factory in an industrial park here in NE PA.
Snap, crackle, pop and sizzle for him too.
General consensus around here was, "Gee. That's too bad."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2011 6:08 AM, JKevorkian wrote:
On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 20:05:21 -0600, Tony wrote:

Bill Gill wrote:
On 8/1/2011 7:14 PM, Red Green wrote:
Some discussion of Cu& AC thefts recently.

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/vi...n=fayetteville

Well, here in Tulsa thieves stole several hundred feet of
copper wire from a live power substation. They knocked out
power to thousands of people in the middle of a heat wave.
Personally I don't think I want to go cutting a live
wire at 7,000 volts or higher.

Bill

Hmm,
In China a guy got killed(zapped) trying to do that.

Closer to home, last month a guy tried to remove the feeds from what he assumed
was an abandoned factory in an industrial park here in NE PA.
Snap, crackle, pop and sizzle for him too.
General consensus around here was, "Gee. That's too bad."

Trouble is, he probably already reproduced.

-- aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

JKevorkian wrote in
:

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/vi...2706&freewheel
=90634&sitesection=fayetteville

Well, here in Tulsa thieves stole several hundred feet of
copper wire from a live power substation. They knocked out
power to thousands of people in the middle of a heat wave.
Personally I don't think I want to go cutting a live
wire at 7,000 volts or higher.

Bill

Hmm,
In China a guy got killed(zapped) trying to do that.

Closer to home, last month a guy tried to remove the feeds from what
he assumed was an abandoned factory in an industrial park here in NE
PA. Snap, crackle, pop and sizzle for him too.
General consensus around here was, "Gee. That's too bad."

And closer to home here in VT, todays action.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...=2011108050313
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

They KNOW the cure for scrap metal thieves- eliminate the market. Make
scrap yards keep log books and get ID from all walk-in sellers, about
like a pawn shop. Several states have put that into effect, and it seems
to work.

Las Vegas will (honorable scrap yards) take a thumb print, copy of
license and if the money paid reaches a set amount checks are issued
in lieu of cash.

Some crooks haul material to California instead.

Dumb asses! They could make more $ bringing 100w incandescents.

Sellin' 100w bulbs requires tooth impressions from the seller and
anybody he has ever known.

What?! No DNA sample required? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2011 10:15 AM, Bill wrote:
Well, here in Tulsa thieves stole several hundred feet of
copper wire from a live power substation. They knocked out
power to thousands of people in the middle of a heat wave.
Personally I don't think I want to go cutting a live
wire at 7,000 volts or higher.

The electric company in my area has not seemed overly concerned about
wire theft from its power poles and substations. I wondered why they
were not doing anything???

Then I read about a few people getting electrocuted doing this... Seems
they know the problem will take care of itself over time!

The electric utilities should have traps set up with someone watching a
video monitor with their hand on a remote control to turn on the high
voltage when the vermin climbs over the fence. I can see substations
becoming giant bug zappers. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:j2tmr6$a7c$1
@dont-email.me:

On 8/2/2011 10:15 AM, Bill wrote:
Well, here in Tulsa thieves stole several hundred feet of
copper wire from a live power substation. They knocked out
power to thousands of people in the middle of a heat wave.
Personally I don't think I want to go cutting a live
wire at 7,000 volts or higher.

The electric company in my area has not seemed overly concerned about
wire theft from its power poles and substations. I wondered why they
were not doing anything???

Then I read about a few people getting electrocuted doing this... Seems
they know the problem will take care of itself over time!

The electric utilities should have traps set up with someone watching a
video monitor with their hand on a remote control to turn on the high
voltage when the vermin climbs over the fence. I can see substations
becoming giant bug zappers. ^_^

TDD

It wouldn't require them to have someone watching. Just set up a web page
with a button that energizes it. The whole world will compete for the
winning click.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2011 3:00 PM, Red Green wrote:
The Daring wrote in news:j2tmr6$a7c$1
@dont-email.me:

On 8/2/2011 10:15 AM, Bill wrote:
[...]

Yea, like that Internet hunting site that had the disabled and shut-ins
shooting deer by remote control over The Web. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2011 10:15 AM, Bill wrote:
[...]

Bring popcorn, but you may have to heat it over an open flame til the power
is back on. I heard they couldn't even tell the victim's sex until after
the autopsy. The remaining wire thieves have been alot more careful since.

Person apparently electrocuted at Akron's Rolling Acres Mall
Beacon Journal staff
Published: April 12, 2011 - 02:40 PM
Police and fire crews responding to a reported explosion at the shuttered
former Rolling Acres Mall discovered a burning body in the parking lot
Tuesday afternoon.
Authorities believe someone attempting to remove recyclable materials from
the mall somehow came into contact with electrical wires and was
electrocuted.
Rescue workers have been unable to remove the body until the electrical
service is shut off.

--
They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2011 10:15 AM, Bill wrote:
[...]

I saw a horrible picture of the body of a dead wire thief hanging from a
power pole in The Ukraine. I assume it was a man, hard to tell, who came
into contact with the high voltage lines during an attempt to steal the
wire. It was in a remote area so there's no telling how long the corpse
had been hanging there. UGH! What a way to go! :-(

TDD

Surveillance Video ATP Metalworking 10 August 23rd 10 06:54 PM
video surveillance FrankLee Home Repair 23 December 18th 07 02:43 AM
video surveillance FrankLee Home Repair 0 December 16th 07 11:43 PM
Video surveillance @work Cliff Metalworking 4 May 17th 05 12:10 PM