Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom lights off

Got a call from a person from church, I'd met a couple
times. She got my number from a common friend.

Lights won't work, both bathrooms. And power sockets won't
work either. Been about a month. Single Mom, no money.
Finally she asked around. Who do we know, in the church, who
might know some about electrical. She got my number, and
called.

Several of her friends have looked around, and tried to fix
it. None of her friends could fix. She's getting tired of
needing a flashlight to take a shower.

One "Attaboy" to the first person who correctly guesses the
problem.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Got a call from a person from church, I'd met a couple
times. She got my number from a common friend.

Lights won't work, both bathrooms. And power sockets won't
work either. Been about a month. Single Mom, no money.
Finally she asked around. Who do we know, in the church, who
might know some about electrical. She got my number, and
called.

Several of her friends have looked around, and tried to fix
it. None of her friends could fix. She's getting tired of
needing a flashlight to take a shower.

One "Attaboy" to the first person who correctly guesses the
problem.

GFCI tripped?

GFI Breaker or a wall GFI that feeds both baths.

Wall GFI units have reset buttons in my experience.

Otherwise, look for reset options on breakers in the breaker box.
Non-GFI ones show orangish red when tripped unless defective - push their
levers towards "off" and after that towards "on".

As for GFI breakers in the breaker box - my experience there is very
minor, push a lever towards "off" and after that towards "on", and look
for a "Reset" button to push.

This will fail if the tripping was caused by a problem that is still in
place and capable of causing such tripping. My experience indicates
more-likely-not, but there is some chance this becomes a home repair
issue more significant than unpopping a popped breaker.

--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 24, 9:00*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Got a call from a person from church, I'd met a couple
times. She got my number from a common friend.

Lights won't work, both bathrooms. And power sockets won't
work either. Been about a month. Single Mom, no money.
Finally she asked around. Who do we know, in the church, who
might know some about electrical. She got my number, and
called.

Several of her friends have looked around, and tried to fix
it. None of her friends could fix. She's getting tired of
needing a flashlight to take a shower.

One "Attaboy" to the first person who correctly guesses the
problem.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Depends on the age of the home.

I had experince with a SoCal condo built ~1987.

Both upstairs bathrooms were powered by a GFI on the garage wall.

When a hair dryer blew the GFI, both bathrooms were without power.

Check for a GFI in an unused / unusual location.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2011 12:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Got a call from a person from church, I'd met a couple
times. She got my number from a common friend.

Lights won't work, both bathrooms. And power sockets won't
work either. Been about a month. Single Mom, no money.
Finally she asked around. Who do we know, in the church, who
might know some about electrical. She got my number, and
called.

Several of her friends have looked around, and tried to fix
it. None of her friends could fix. She's getting tired of
needing a flashlight to take a shower.

One "Attaboy" to the first person who correctly guesses the
problem.

Reset button on the elect. outlet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2011 12:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Got a call from a person from church, I'd met a couple
times. She got my number from a common friend.

Lights won't work, both bathrooms. And power sockets won't
work either. Been about a month. Single Mom, no money.
Finally she asked around. Who do we know, in the church, who
might know some about electrical. She got my number, and
called.

Several of her friends have looked around, and tried to fix
it. None of her friends could fix. She's getting tired of
needing a flashlight to take a shower.

One "Attaboy" to the first person who correctly guesses the
problem.

That would typically be a GFCI tripping problem. Age of the house would
help to determine standard GFCI scenario of the day. As DD_BobK pointed
out, it could be located in an unsuspected location such as: Outside,
garage, basement, adjacent to electric panel, or another bathroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 25, 12:00*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Got a call from a person from church, I'd met a couple
times. She got my number from a common friend.

Lights won't work, both bathrooms. And power sockets won't
work either. Been about a month. Single Mom, no money.
Finally she asked around. Who do we know, in the church, who
might know some about electrical. She got my number, and
called.

Several of her friends have looked around, and tried to fix
it. None of her friends could fix. She's getting tired of
needing a flashlight to take a shower.

One "Attaboy" to the first person who correctly guesses the
problem.

looks like it's already been covered, but I will also guess a GFCI
feeding both bathrooms that isn't in either one that has tripped.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

ATTABOY! I knew you'd get it.

GFCI breaker was tripped, at the panel. Stood out to me,
like shooting off fireworks, (and waving a red flag in front
of a bull) when I looked at the panel. Notice me! it
screamed.

Push the little toggle off, then snap it on.....

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Got a call from a person from church, I'd met a couple
times. She got my number from a common friend.

Lights won't work, both bathrooms. And power sockets won't
work either. Been about a month. Single Mom, no money.
Finally she asked around. Who do we know, in the church,
who
might know some about electrical. She got my number, and
called.

Several of her friends have looked around, and tried to fix
it. None of her friends could fix. She's getting tired of
needing a flashlight to take a shower.

One "Attaboy" to the first person who correctly guesses the
problem.

GFCI tripped?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, it was a GFCI breaker, at the panel. You are wise
gentleman.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob F" wrote in message
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

GFCI tripped?

GFI Breaker or a wall GFI that feeds both baths.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That reminds me. I didn't show her how to do the reset. Or
inform her that if it happens again, might need some repair.
Or, the GFCI is getting old and cranky.

The friends who looked at the problem already, might not
have known to push off, then on.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In the panel box, in the cellar. That's where the tripped
GFCI was.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DD_BobK" wrote in message

Depends on the age of the home.

I had experince with a SoCal condo built ~1987.

Both upstairs bathrooms were powered by a GFI on the garage
wall.

When a hair dryer blew the GFI, both bathrooms were without
power.

Check for a GFI in an unused / unusual location.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's possible, often GFCI sockets protect several outlets.
But in this case, it was a GFCI breaker.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Norminn" wrote in message
m...
On 7/25/2011 12:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Got a call from a person from church, I'd met a couple
times. She got my number from a common friend.

Lights won't work, both bathrooms. And power sockets won't
work either. Been about a month. Single Mom, no money.
Finally she asked around. Who do we know, in the church,
who
might know some about electrical. She got my number, and
called.

Several of her friends have looked around, and tried to
fix
it. None of her friends could fix. She's getting tired of
needing a flashlight to take a shower.

One "Attaboy" to the first person who correctly guesses
the
problem.

Reset button on the elect. outlet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In the panel box. Years ago, I checked prices. The GFCI in
the panel box is much more expensive than a GFCI socket. Not
sure why.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RBM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Very true, you are correct.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 24, 11:00*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Got a call from a person from church, I'd met a couple
times. She got my number from a common friend.

Lights won't work, both bathrooms. And power sockets won't
work either. Been about a month. Single Mom, no money.
Finally she asked around. Who do we know, in the church, who
might know some about electrical. She got my number, and
called.

Several of her friends have looked around, and tried to fix
it. None of her friends could fix. She's getting tired of
needing a flashlight to take a shower.

One "Attaboy" to the first person who correctly guesses the
problem.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I'm too late for the attaboy but I was gonna guess that it was God's
wrath. The woman prolly did something to **** off the deity. She gonna
need to join the Catholic Church to fix this problem for good.

I can't believe anyone would think it was something as simple as a
tripped GFCI.

-C-
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
That reminds me. I didn't show her how to do the reset. Or
inform her that if it happens again, might need some repair.
Or, the GFCI is getting old and cranky.

The best thing you could have done was tell/teach her how to get a husband.

It is my opinion that (almost) any woman can have (almost) any man she sets
her mind to. That she often fails in this quest is merely a function of not
knowing how to pull the string. As in:

I keep my pants tied up with a piece of twine,
It keeps me ready all the time,
So if you're mine, baby, if you're mine,
Please pull the twine, please pull the twine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:j0ipos
:

Got a call from a person from church, I'd met a couple
times. She got my number from a common friend.

Lights won't work, both bathrooms. And power sockets won't
work either. Been about a month. Single Mom, no money.
Finally she asked around. Who do we know, in the church, who
might know some about electrical. She got my number, and
called.

Several of her friends have looked around, and tried to fix
it. None of her friends could fix. She's getting tired of
needing a flashlight to take a shower.

One "Attaboy" to the first person who correctly guesses the
problem.

Should have told her it would be a B-ig J-ob to fix it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 11:09*am, Red Green wrote:
Should have told her it would be a B-ig J-ob to fix it.- Hide quoted text -

SM, did you at least cop her flashlight?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 7:45*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
That reminds me. I didn't show her how to do the reset. Or
inform her that if it happens again, might need some repair.
Or, the GFCI is getting old and cranky.

The best thing you could have done was tell/teach her how to get a husband.

It is my opinion that (almost) any woman can have (almost) any man she sets
her mind to. That she often fails in this quest is merely a function of not
knowing how to pull the string. As in:

I keep my pants tied up with a piece of twine,
It keeps me ready all the time,
So if you're mine, baby, if you're mine,
Please pull the twine, please pull the twine.

Whattamass! Just cleaned up my office a few days ago, and now I have
to deal with vomit all over the keyboard and on the screen, and
dripping onto the floor.
I'd better pass on the ejaculations by this poster...Never know when
it could happen again.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:57:22 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

ATTABOY! I knew you'd get it.

GFCI breaker was tripped, at the panel. Stood out to me,
like shooting off fireworks, (and waving a red flag in front
of a bull) when I looked at the panel. Notice me! it
screamed.

I had the bathroom go out, shortly after we moved into our previous house.
Same thing, tripped GFCI in the entrance panel. The problem was that the
panel was outside, on the front porch. It gets cold in January in Vermont.
Just having stepped out of the shower didn't make it feel any warmer. That
one circuit powered all three bathrooms *and* the outside outlets. Morons.

Push the little toggle off, then snap it on.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, at least if she was Catholic, she'd have candles. By
golly, I do belive you are on to something.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Country" wrote in message

I'm too late for the attaboy but I was gonna guess that it
was God's
wrath. The woman prolly did something to **** off the deity.
She gonna
need to join the Catholic Church to fix this problem for
good.

I can't believe anyone would think it was something as
simple as a
tripped GFCI.

-C-

Posted to alt.home.repair

My name's Christopher, not Clinton. But, thank you for
calling. And now we go on to our next caller.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

One "Attaboy" to the first person who correctly guesses
the
problem.

Should have told her it would be a B-ig J-ob to fix it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

She mentioned the flashlight as we were out to the driveway,
and I was leaving. I have failed, as a Jedi, I did not
examine or handle the flashlight. I cannot even report if it
were filament, LED, or fluorescent. I will resign, now, from
Flashlight Jedi Warrior school.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Thomas" wrote in message

SM, did you at least cop her flashlight?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In the panel, but that's correct. Very well said.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Harrison Lighting and Neon" wrote
in message ...
GFI outlet (tripped) located on porch or in garage or
kitchen daisy chained
to all "wet" locations.......I had the same problem at my
house here in
Calif.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You forgot the expectorant..... I was also suitably
nonplussed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

I keep my pants tied up with a piece of twine,
It keeps me ready all the time,
So if you're mine, baby, if you're mine,
Please pull the twine, please pull the twine.

Whattamass! Just cleaned up my office a few days ago, and
now I have
to deal with vomit all over the keyboard and on the screen,
and
dripping onto the floor.
I'd better pass on the ejaculations by this poster...Never
know when
it could happen again.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey, there's a first time for everything.

-C-

"Country" wrote in message

I'm too late for the attaboy but I was gonna guess that it
was God's
wrath. The woman prolly did something to **** off the deity.
She gonna
need to join the Catholic Church to fix this problem for
good.

I can't believe anyone would think it was something as
simple as a
tripped GFCI. *

-C-

Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael B wrote:
Men play at love to get sex, women play at sex to get love.

.... or a husband.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sometimes, thread drifts are funny, sometimes educational,
and sometimes just annoying. This looks to be all three.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Country" wrote in message

I'm too late for the attaboy but I was gonna guess that it
was God's
wrath. The woman prolly did something to **** off the
deity.
She gonna
need to join the Catholic Church to fix this problem for
good.

I can't believe anyone would think it was something as
simple as a
tripped GFCI.

-C-

Posted to alt.home.repair

Was it Johny Cash?

I keep a tight reign on this heart of mine
I do.... something.... all the time
Because you're mine
I walk the line.....

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
That reminds me. I didn't show her how to do the reset. Or
inform her that if it happens again, might need some
repair.
Or, the GFCI is getting old and cranky.

The best thing you could have done was tell/teach her how to
get a husband.

It is my opinion that (almost) any woman can have (almost)
any man she sets
her mind to. That she often fails in this quest is merely a
function of not
knowing how to pull the string. As in:

I keep my pants tied up with a piece of twine,
It keeps me ready all the time,
So if you're mine, baby, if you're mine,
Please pull the twine, please pull the twine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard that couples who sex before marriage, are much
more likely to divorce.

Might that be because less sable people have premarital sex?
Or does the premarital sex affect the later relationship?
Egg? Chicken? Egg? Chicken?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Michael B wrote:
Men play at love to get sex, women play at sex to get
love.

.... or a husband.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:j0n21a
:

I've heard that couples who sex before marriage, are much
more likely to divorce.

Might that be because less sable people have premarital sex?
Or does the premarital sex affect the later relationship?
Egg? Chicken? Egg? Chicken?

I met her almost 49 years ago. Never looked at another, well, but we're
still here, together ...

Oops, did I say that?

--
Best regards