DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT (kinda) Quick Pole Regarding Dish Network vs Direct TV (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/326378-re-ot-kinda-quick-pole-regarding-dish-network-vs-direct-tv.html)

HeyBub[_3_] July 23rd 11 01:41 AM

OT (kinda) Quick Pole Regarding Dish Network vs Direct TV

RonB wrote:
We live in a rural area in SE Kansas and our local, independent cable
provider just announced he will close shop at the end of July. I
would be irritated but he guy is 72 years old and has provided
excellent service for years. He can't find a buyer and is worn out.

We are comparing Dish vs Direct. Quite frankly Dish seems to be
looking better, but:

What do you guys think?

Speaking of poles, there's a mistake some folks make: they mount the dish on
the roof.

Much better to concrete a 2" metal post in the ground and mount the dish
about seven feet up. Alternatively, bolt the sucker to a railing on your
deck. And, yes, you can bury the cable.

By having the dish where you can easily reach it, several wonderful things
happen.

* It's easier to aim.
* It's easier to service or replace.
* It's easier to clear the snow, leaves, or other obstructions from it.

Country[_2_] July 23rd 11 01:46 AM

On Jul 22, 7:41*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
RonB wrote:
[...]

My dish is on a pole in the back yard. Only about three feet high off
the ground. The guy buried the cable just under the sod and it has
never been a problem for the 10+ years it's been there.

-C-

Steve Barker[_6_] July 23rd 11 03:48 AM

On 7/22/2011 7:41 PM, HeyBub wrote:
RonB wrote:
[...]

Mine was driven in the ground with a post driver (no concrete) by the
installer, and has been there 5 yrs without any movement. AND it's back
behind the detached garage completely outta sight from the street or the
house. Comes in on a 170' composite (2cat 5's and 2 quadshield coax)
cable underground.

--
Steve Barker