Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water damage to vinyl tile

had a minor flood in the basement bathroom. vinyl floor tiles lifted.
what's the best way to re-install them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/20/2011 09:25 PM, wf3h wrote:
had a minor flood in the basement bathroom. vinyl floor tiles lifted.
what's the best way to re-install them?

Quick answer ... there is none ... you wont like the cure but ...

Scrape them off your floor, clean the concrete underneath and lay real
tile. It will improve the value of your home and look so much nicer. Be
sure and mix real mortar to lay them, not the ready mix glue they try to
push off at the big box stores.

Unfortunately basements can be leaky and are inherently damp, deal with
it permanently.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:36:17 -0400, John wrote:

On 07/20/2011 09:25 PM, wf3h wrote:
had a minor flood in the basement bathroom. vinyl floor tiles lifted.
what's the best way to re-install them?

Quick answer ... there is none ... you wont like the cure but ...

Scrape them off your floor, clean the concrete underneath and lay real
tile. It will improve the value of your home and look so much nicer. Be
sure and mix real mortar to lay them, not the ready mix glue they try to
push off at the big box stores.

Unfortunately basements can be leaky and are inherently damp, deal with
it permanently.

John

thanks john...may do that
Posted to alt.home.repair

wf3h wrote:
had a minor flood in the basement bathroom. vinyl floor tiles lifted.
what's the best way to re-install them?

You can buy cement/glue used for non-pre-glued tile. It does a pretty good
job.

I'm with John on tiling the floor for real. Shop around for the cheapest
ceramic tile you can find. The best commercial prices I've found are at
Floor & Decor outlets - about $0.66/sq ft.

I've done only four rooms, so I'm no expert; I watched a few YouTube videos
and picked up a few tricks.

* I own a 12" tile cutter which doesn't work for squat on 13" tiles. An
angle grinder with a ceramic blade does an adequate job.

*Thinset is an excellent transition material when going from one level to
another, say tile to vinyl. It smooths nicely and is stronger than dirt.

* Like any other flooring, remove the baseboards before tiling. Use this
opportunity to patch and repaint them.

* Instead of the little foam X's to get the distance between the tiles
correct, I used 3/8" dowel rods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:58:22 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

wf3h wrote:
[...]

thanks much, bub. may have to go this route

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wf3h wrote:
[...]

Good luck. It's a full two week-end job, but the results will be worth it.

Oh, one more tip: You may find that the existing tiles just won't, goddamn
it, come up! You can get a scraper blade for your reciprocating saw that
will make the job, well, just trivial! The blade turns your Sawzall into a
power scraper. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

The blade can be found next to the other Sawzall blades at your box store.
About ten bucks and worth every penny (it can even be resharpened with a
file for continued use).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wf3h wrote:
[...]

sweet! thanks for the tip heybub

vinyl floor water damage [email protected] Home Repair 6 March 31st 07 09:39 AM
cleaning tile without grout damage [email protected] Home Repair 1 September 19th 06 09:44 PM
Tile over vinyl shel Home Repair 6 July 8th 06 02:46 PM
Vinyl tile over vinyl tile Platebanger Home Repair 4 November 26th 05 08:01 PM
Vinyl tile over sheet vinyl residue? Donald Gares Home Repair 1 July 5th 05 06:50 PM