Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recall on PEX water pipes?

While I'm on the subject of water pipes -

Is there a recall on PEX water pipes?

I'm hearing that some people are suing because their PEX piping system
is failing at the connection points. Costing them thousands to rip it
out of their new homes and replace it.

Might only be for the hot water lines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:
While I'm on the subject of water pipes -

Is there a recall on PEX water pipes?

I'm hearing that some people are suing because their PEX piping system
is failing at the connection points. Costing them thousands to rip it
out of their new homes and replace it.

Might only be for the hot water lines.

Search for "KITEC" fittings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 20:30:39 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

While I'm on the subject of water pipes -

Is there a recall on PEX water pipes?

I'm hearing that some people are suing because their PEX piping system
is failing at the connection points. Costing them thousands to rip it
out of their new homes and replace it.

Might only be for the hot water lines.

There was a case a couple years ago locally (Las Vegas). ZURN
connectors made in Canada leaked and caused plenty of damage to many
homes. The problem appears to be that to much zinc was used in making
the brass connectors, which caused them to leak, Maybe a couple of
other brand connectors.

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/zurn-pex-plumbing.html

I'm not familiar with anything recent. Never heard of a problem with
the PEX pipe.

My system is 13 years old -- no problems knock on wood..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com...-plumbing.html

I'm not familiar with anything recent. Never heard of a problem with
the PEX pipe.

My system is 13 years old -- no problems knock on wood..

You'd better join that class action.

Unless there are several fundamentally different non-copper / non-steel
water piping systems, it seems that all plastic/aluminum piping systems
are made by the same manufacturer, and PEX, IPEX, and KITEC all use the
same underlying technology and defective compression fittings.

----------
In summary, defective fittings were installed for many years throughout
the American southwest, leading to class-action lawsuits. The fittings
can be identified in several ways but only a qualified plumber can say
with certainty if they are Kitec
----------

Unless -

Does anyone know if Pex / IPex connectors are *different* than Kitec?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 22:05:44 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

Oren wrote:

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com...-plumbing.html

I'm not familiar with anything recent. Never heard of a problem with
the PEX pipe.

My system is 13 years old -- no problems knock on wood..

You'd better join that class action.

Why? I'm not fixing something that isn't broke.

Unless there are several fundamentally different non-copper / non-steel
water piping systems, it seems that all plastic/aluminum piping systems
are made by the same manufacturer, and PEX, IPEX, and KITEC all use the
same underlying technology and defective compression fittings.

Cite?

----------
In summary, defective fittings were installed for many years throughout
the American southwest, leading to class-action lawsuits. The fittings
can be identified in several ways but only a qualified plumber can say
with certainty if they are Kitec

Mine are Vanguard.

----------

Unless -

Does anyone know if Pex / IPex connectors are *different* than Kitec?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 7:55*pm, Oren wrote:
[...]

I think there was also a case quite a few years ago. We built a house
in '99 that had a water manifold system that used PEX. The plumber
made a point of telling us the pipe and connectors he used were not
the ones subject to earlier publicity and suits. Lived there 9 years
and no issues.

RonB