DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   old dresser knobs - no screws (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/325448-old-dresser-knobs-no-screws.html)

Matt[_9_] July 2nd 11 07:04 PM

old dresser knobs - no screws

I'm trying to refinish an old dresser, but ran into a stumbling block
when trying to take the hardware off the drawers. The knobs and
handles are not screwed on, but from the inside have some form of
connection I have not seen before. Can anyone tell me what this type
of mechanism is called and how I can remove it without destroying the
drawer front? Image is he

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...nobinside.jpg/

The picture doesn't show it great, but the inside of the piece is
hollow and threaded. What for, I can't say...

Thanks.

Smitty Two July 2nd 11 07:18 PM

old dresser knobs - no screws

In article
,
Matt wrote:

I'm trying to refinish an old dresser, but ran into a stumbling block
when trying to take the hardware off the drawers. The knobs and
handles are not screwed on, but from the inside have some form of
connection I have not seen before. Can anyone tell me what this type
of mechanism is called and how I can remove it without destroying the
drawer front? Image is he

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...nobinside.jpg/

The picture doesn't show it great, but the inside of the piece is
hollow and threaded. What for, I can't say...

Thanks.

The picture sucks. If that's a metal piece whose inside is hollow and
threaded as you say, then it could be an insert. Inside would have a
machine thread for a knob-mounting screw, and outside would have wood
screw type threads to secure it in the drawer front. See he

http://www.mcmaster.com/#threaded-inserts/=d0595q

You don't say anything about whether the handles and knobs are wood or
metal. Maybe they have screws that you haven't found yet. Or maybe
someone pulled the original hardware and glued on some replacement
stuff, bypassing those inserts (if that's what they are) altogether.

WW[_2_] July 2nd 11 11:55 PM

old dresser knobs - no screws

"Matt" wrote in message
I'm trying to refinish an old dresser, but ran into a stumbling block
when trying to take the hardware off the drawers. The knobs and
handles are not screwed on, but from the inside have some form of
connection I have not seen before. Can anyone tell me what this type
of mechanism is called and how I can remove it without destroying the
drawer front? Image is he

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...nobinside.jpg/

The picture doesn't show it great, but the inside of the piece is
hollow and threaded. What for, I can't say...

Thanks.

Try to twist it counter clockwise. It may unscrew. WW

Tegger[_3_] July 3rd 11 12:04 AM

old dresser knobs - no screws

Matt wrote in news:ceb84bbf-c810-4143-ab01-
:

I'm trying to refinish an old dresser, but ran into a stumbling block
when trying to take the hardware off the drawers. The knobs and
handles are not screwed on, but from the inside have some form of
connection I have not seen before. Can anyone tell me what this type
of mechanism is called and how I can remove it without destroying the
drawer front? Image is he

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...nobinside.jpg/

The picture doesn't show it great, but the inside of the piece is
hollow and threaded. What for, I can't say...

Is that photo showing the inside face of the drawer front?

Does the drawer front appear to be made of two layers?

--
Tegger

[email protected] July 3rd 11 03:17 AM

old dresser knobs - no screws

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 11:18:17 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Matt wrote:

[...]

Sure look like thread-serts - if the handles or knobs are round I'd
bet they thread in - just twist them counterclockwize and they should
loosen and come off. (lefty loosey, righty tighty)

[email protected] April 30th 18 04:38 AM

old dresser knobs - no screws

On Saturday, July 2, 2011 at 11:04:12 AM UTC-7, Matt wrote:
I'm trying to refinish an old dresser, but ran into a stumbling block
when trying to take the hardware off the drawers. The knobs and
handles are not screwed on, but from the inside have some form of
connection I have not seen before. Can anyone tell me what this type
of mechanism is called and how I can remove it without destroying the
drawer front? Image is he

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...nobinside.jpg/

The picture doesn't show it great, but the inside of the piece is
hollow and threaded. What for, I can't say...

Thanks.

I have the same dilemma, French Provincial furniture with set in drawer pulls with no visable screws, yet the holes are threaded in the inside of the drawers. I haven't the guts to pull on it to loosen it up for fear of breaking the whole handle. Since I am a chalk painter; gonna have to figure a way to paint over them and then touch up with Rub-n-buff in a silver finish to get the look i'm going for. This was an alternative I was given from someone who had the same piece of furniture and hardware problems.

dpb[_3_] April 30th 18 02:00 PM

old dresser knobs - no screws

On 4/29/2018 10:31 PM, wrote:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...nobinside.jpg/

The picture doesn't show it great, but the inside of the piece is
hollow and threaded. What for, I can't say...

Not public; link is login screen...

[email protected] May 20th 19 11:00 AM

old dresser knobs - no screws

On Saturday, July 2, 2011 at 11:34:12 PM UTC+5:30, Matt wrote:
I'm trying to refinish an old dresser, but ran into a stumbling block
when trying to take the hardware off the drawers. The knobs and
handles are not screwed on, but from the inside have some form of
connection I have not seen before. Can anyone tell me what this type
of mechanism is called and how I can remove it without destroying the
drawer front? Image is he

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...nobinside.jpg/

The picture doesn't show it great, but the inside of the piece is
hollow and threaded. What for, I can't say...

Thanks.

Check out this website and get to know more!

https://www.questhardware.co.uk/

croy May 20th 19 11:47 PM

old dresser knobs - no screws

On Mon, 20 May 2019 03:00:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, July 2, 2011 at 11:34:12 PM UTC+5:30, Matt wrote:
I'm trying to refinish an old dresser, but ran into a stumbling block
when trying to take the hardware off the drawers. The knobs and
handles are not screwed on, but from the inside have some form of
connection I have not seen before. Can anyone tell me what this type
of mechanism is called and how I can remove it without destroying the
drawer front? Image is he

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...nobinside.jpg/

A login is apparently needed, so I can't see your photo. Clicking on your link redirects me
to:
https://imageshack.com/
.... and no photo.