Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Has everyone given-up on GG?

On 07/01/11 11:05 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 7/1/2011 7:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On 07/01/11 10:31 AM, N8N wrote:
On Jun 29, 10:24 pm, wrote:
Bob wrote in news:5c956d21-dbdd-4e6f-8ba1-
:

Nothing for 4 days!

Google Groups is NOT Usenet, no matter how much Brin and Page want to
pretend that it is.

There's lots of Usenet access available that runs on proper NNTP, not
WWW.
Why read your Usenet through Google's censored, bloated, ad-laden
Web portal?

When on a network that blocks NNTP ports.

Otherwise, no good reason.

nate

Once again, I post another "good reason":

Some locked-down corporate images do not allow the installation of news
reader applications or even the news reader portion of email clients
that include them.

Ours also locks out GG, and they just recently realized they had
accidently UNlocked commercial web-mail interfaces for a while. USB
ports are also locked out, and they took away the DVD burning software.
I have to do a ten-step voodoo to be able to burn even a simple CD. They
make my PC any more secure, the only thing it will be good for is a
doorstop. They may as well put us all back on dumb terminals.

--
aem sends...

That's almost humorous!

The locked down version of IE8 that we have has trouble accessing
certain external sites. Since I need those sites to service my clients
(well, just one big one actually) they gave me an exception and
installed FireFox.

However, since all of the internal apps were written for IE, they don't
work on FF, and I have to switch back and forth between 2 browsers to
get my work done.

Those that have never worked in a locked down, pre-configured, corporate
environment, especially those that like to go a little deeper than the
casual user, should really count their blessings. Knowing that there are
certain capabilities and features lying just out of reach can be rather
frustrating sometimes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 22:01:48 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

Not necessarily. They don't want infestations so lock everything down they
possibly can. The usually have no idea what NNTP is.

Same difference. If Usenet was something that the company found useful,
they would have made it available.

They would have to know what it is to know if it's useful. Amazingly, I do
find the Usenet useful for work but I have to do their work on my time to do
it. It kinda ****es me off when I'm working OVERTIME and can't access the
Usenet (not even from GG).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/01/11 10:31 AM, N8N wrote:
On Jun 29, 10:24 pm, wrote:
[...]

They allow us USB sticks and CD/DVD writers but the Internet is locked down
tighter than Gitmo (so tight it often doesn't work at all). Not that it's
done any good, the idiots still get malware. I don't work for the government,
either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 10:10*am, Tegger wrote:
Harry K wrote in news:a07e19ea-0813-47dd-b703-
:

"Tegger" wrote in message

Why read your Usenet through Google's censored,
bloated, ad-laden Web portal?

I use it because it is _simple_. *It isn't so overloaded with bells
and whistles that the operating it gets in the way of actually using
it.

I ran agent for awhile and gave up on it because of the bells and
whistles.

Harry K

There are others, you know. XNews, for instance, is about as simple as it
gets.

--
Tegger- Hide quoted text -

I was looking at that yesterday. I think I will be giving it a try.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 1:08*pm, Tegger wrote:
"Chet" wrote :

"Tegger" wrote in message

What I find particularly offensive is how Google's group search makes
you choose between "site or domain" and "Google Groups".

Another opinion that isn't grounded in reality. *The search window on
Google does not make you choose between "site or domain" and google
groups. * What it has are two choices for

A - Search within this group

B - Search all groups.

Yeah? This is what I see:
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&

--
Tegger

The advanced search page offers as options the ability to search
within Google Groups or within a particular domain. Those are
OPTIONS. You can do any search without putting anything in
those fields in which case it will search everywhere. They do not
MAKE you choose either of those to do a search, which is what
you claimed. You have a problem with people having choices?
What's next, bitching because they allow you to limit the search
by date too?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/01/2011 10:01 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In ,
z wrote:

Not necessarily. They don't want infestations so lock everything down they
possibly can. The usually have no idea what NNTP is.

Same difference. If Usenet was something that the company found useful,
they would have made it available.

Hah. don't get me started on "the company" and "do you really need
(AutoCAD, a functional network connection, whatever) to do your job?"

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

* zzz *wrote:

Not necessarily. *They don't want infestations so lock everything down they
possibly can. *The usually have no idea what NNTP is.

Same difference. If Usenet was something that the company found useful,
they would have made it available.

Hah. *don't get me started on "the company" and "do you really need
(AutoCAD, a functional network connection, whatever) to do your job?"

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

==
How can one access Usenet if the ISP says NO NNTP permitted? A web
based access as through Google is my only option as far as I know.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

The advanced search page offers as options the ability to search
within Google Groups

But those groups are not "Google Groups", they are Usenet groups. Google
calls them "Google Groups" to fool you into thinking they run Usenet.
That's my whole point.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

On 7/1/2011 7:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Some locked-down corporate images do not allow the installation of news
reader applications or even the news reader portion of email clients
that include them.

Ours also locks out GG, and they just recently realized they had
accidently UNlocked commercial web-mail interfaces for a while. USB
ports are also locked out, and they took away the DVD burning software.
I have to do a ten-step voodoo to be able to burn even a simple CD.
They make my PC any more secure, the only thing it will be good for is a
doorstop. They may as well put us all back on dumb terminals.

This part of the thread makes a good point.

My wife works for a bank. In the interests of security, they've locked down
just about everything on all employees' machines, including the ability to
change the desktop wallpaper. Installing programs is totally out of the
question. Port 80 is open, but any sites even remotely having to do with
messaging (Hotmail, Yahoo,) are blocked, as are any streaming sites and
just about everything else, it seems. Webmail needs to be specifically
enabled, and few are deemed qualified to receive it. My wife has never
tried to use Google Groups, so I don't know if they allow that.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

* zzz *wrote:

Not necessarily. *They don't want infestations so lock everything down they
possibly can. *The usually have no idea what NNTP is.

Same difference. If Usenet was something that the company found useful,
they would have made it available.

Hah. *don't get me started on "the company" and "do you really need
(AutoCAD, a functional network connection, whatever) to do your job?"

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Grammar police intervention: "Given-up" with a hyphen is a compound
noun. You want "given up", no hyphen, which is a verb with a
preposition.

Incorrect use of hyphens is one of the most frequent grammar sins.

Now go and sin no more g

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 02:24:02 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Bob Villa wrote in news:5c956d21-dbdd-4e6f-8ba1-
:

Nothing for 4 days!

Google Groups is NOT Usenet, no matter how much Brin and Page want to
pretend that it is.

Do they pretend that it is? Did Dejanews pretend too?