DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Inside corner wall crack repair (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/325108-inside-corner-wall-crack-repair.html)

Mercellus Bohren June 24th 11 06:09 PM

Inside corner wall crack repair

We had some foundation repairs done recently and our house foundation is solid for the time being.

A long crack formed down the corner of an inside wall when the foundation shifted. It's closed back up now that the foundation has been repaired. The crack started at the crown molding at the top of the wall to the shoe molding at the bottom, on an inside corner. We'd like to patch that up and repaint the room.

Do we need to completely remove the old drywall tape before patching it up and re-taping?

Joe June 24th 11 06:21 PM

On Jun 24, 12:09*pm, Mercellus Bohren wrote:
We had some foundation repairs done recently and our house foundation is solid for the time being.

A long crack formed down the corner of an inside wall when the foundation shifted. It's closed back up now that the foundation has been repaired. The crack started at the crown molding at the top of the wall to the shoe molding at the bottom, on an inside corner. We'd like to patch that up and repaint the room.

Do we need to completely remove the old drywall tape before patching it up and re-taping?

Logically, yes. If you need more information, download the 579 page
'Gypsum Construction Manual' by USG. Answers to more questions than
you will ever ask in that tome.

Joe

Brian V June 24th 11 10:31 PM

"Mercellus Bohren" wrote in message

We had some foundation repairs done recently and our house foundation is
solid for the time being.

A long crack formed down the corner of an inside wall when the foundation
shifted. It's closed back up now that the foundation has been repaired. The
crack started at the crown molding at the top of the wall to the shoe
molding at the bottom, on an inside corner. We'd like to patch that up and
repaint the room.

Do we need to completely remove the old drywall tape before patching it up
and re-taping?

If it's directly in the corner just run a bead of caulk and paint over it.

DD_BobK June 24th 11 11:55 PM

On Jun 24, 10:09*am, Mercellus Bohren wrote:
We had some foundation repairs done recently and our house foundation is solid for the time being.

A long crack formed down the corner of an inside wall when the foundation shifted. It's closed back up now that the foundation has been repaired. The crack started at the crown molding at the top of the wall to the shoe molding at the bottom, on an inside corner. We'd like to patch that up and repaint the room.

Do we need to completely remove the old drywall tape before patching it up and re-taping?

How about a photo? An overall shot (to give placement & perspective)
and some closeups.

How wide is the crack? Did the tape pull free from one sheet or the
other?
Or did it simply rip is the corner.

If the tape (paper?) just ripped & still soundly adhered to the
sheets..... I'd use a flexible caulk if the crack was 1/4" (that's
probably a bit on the large size) or smaller.

cheers
Bob

Steve Barker[_6_] June 25th 11 01:28 AM

On 6/24/2011 12:09 PM, Mercellus Bohren wrote:

We had some foundation repairs done recently and our house foundation is solid for the time being.

A long crack formed down the corner of an inside wall when the foundation shifted. It's closed back up now that the foundation has been repaired. The crack started at the crown molding at the top of the wall to the shoe molding at the bottom, on an inside corner. We'd like to patch that up and repaint the room.

Do we need to completely remove the old drywall tape before patching it up and re-taping?

I'd caulk it with a paintable caulk, run my finger down it and be done.

--
Steve Barker