Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mounting a Small Tire on Wheel

I'm trying to replace the inner tube in the tire of a "Radio Flyer"
child's wagon.

I've removed the wheel from the wagon, worked the tire off one side of
the rim and removed the old inner tube.

The new inner tube is twisting when I work it into the tire. Should I
partially inflate the new inner tube first?

Do I put the valve stem through the hole in the rim before working the
rest of the inner tube into the tire?

Once I get the inner tube into the tire, how do I get the tire back
onto the rim?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:32:21 -0700, gcotterl wrote:

I'm trying to replace the inner tube in the tire of a "Radio Flyer"
child's wagon.

I've removed the wheel from the wagon, worked the tire off one side of
the rim and removed the old inner tube.

The new inner tube is twisting when I work it into the tire. Should I
partially inflate the new inner tube first?

Do I put the valve stem through the hole in the rim before working the
rest of the inner tube into the tire?

Once I get the inner tube into the tire, how do I get the tire back onto
the rim?

You put the valve stem in the hole, stuff the tube into the tire, put the
tire back on the rim, remove the valve stem and inflate and deflate the
tube a couple times so it straightens its self out inside the tire,
replace the valve stem and inflate to recommended pressure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:32:21 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl
wrote:

I'm trying to replace the inner tube in the tire of a "Radio Flyer"
child's wagon.

I've removed the wheel from the wagon, worked the tire off one side of
the rim and removed the old inner tube.

The new inner tube is twisting when I work it into the tire. Should I
partially inflate the new inner tube first?

No. A little twisting won't hurt, as long as you don't do a 180 on
it.

Do I put the valve stem through the hole in the rim before working the
rest of the inner tube into the tire?

Yes.

Once I get the inner tube into the tire, how do I get the tire back
onto the rim?

Inch by inch. pushing it past the rim with your thumbs.
If you end up using a flat screwdriver, just put very the tip on the
rim so you don't pinch the new tube and put a hole in it.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

I vote the sudsy water suggestion (Oren!) is tops. I would
concentrate the soap, liquid dish soap preferrably, so that it is more
creamy than sudsy water. Smear the whole tube, the inside of the tire
and rim. Works dandily on small wheel barrow tires, also.

Addendum: In trying to reinstall a large 250 lb pillar under a house
corner, after releveling the house, we 1) prepped/compacted the soil,
smooth, where the pillar was to go. 2) laid a large plastic trash bag
on the outside edge and up under the house corner. 3) smeared Dawn all
over the trash bag, 4) placed another trash bag over the first. 5)
placed the pillar on the top trash bag. 6) shoved the pillar right in
place. We had 1/8" clearance for negotiating that pillar. We would
have never wriggled that large pillar into place, with just that much
wriggle room, if we wouldn't have used the trashbag-dishsoap method.

Sonny
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:10:26 -0700, Sonny wrote:
I vote the sudsy water suggestion (Oren!) is tops. I would concentrate
the soap, liquid dish soap preferrably, so that it is more creamy than
sudsy water. Smear the whole tube, the inside of the tire and rim.
Works dandily on small wheel barrow tires, also.

Yeah, I've always used Dawn or equivalent for that, and it seems to work
well.

Addendum: In trying to reinstall a large 250 lb pillar under a house
corner, after releveling the house, we 1) prepped/compacted the soil,
smooth, where the pillar was to go. 2) laid a large plastic trash bag on
the outside edge and up under the house corner.

Interesting you mention that. There was a video on youtube of a guy (a
motorbike restorer, if I remember right) who uses garbage bags placed
over the rim to assist in getting the tire on. Removing all of the bag
afterwards looked to be quite the struggle, though, so overall I'm not
sure it would save any time - but it was interesting to see an
alternative method.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I'm trying to replace the inner tube in the tire of a "Radio Flyer"
child's wagon.

I've removed the wheel from the wagon, worked the tire off one side of
the rim and removed the old inner tube.

The new inner tube is twisting when I work it into the tire. Should I
partially inflate the new inner tube first?

Yes. On a bicylce too. Enough that it straightens but doesn't
inflate. Not so much that it interferes

Do I put the valve stem through the hole in the rim before working the
rest of the inner tube into the tire?

Yes. Make an effort to work the tire in evenly on each side of the
valve, to keep the valve pointing straight to the center. This is
1000 times more important on a bicycle than on a wagon.

Once I get the inner tube into the tire, how do I get the tire back
onto the rim?

It's amazing how getting it on can be harder than getting it off.

And it may be that it's harder for smaller wheels, I don't know, but
if there is stretching involved, maybe there is less stretching.

Start at the valve and use your thumbs to push the tire inside the
rim, alternating from side to side and working away from the valve.
At the end, screwdrivers are too sharp, you may need s bicycle-size
tire-iron, but since you'll never do this again, use the handle of a
spoon, like a cheap stainless steel soup spoon, not with a handle that
is pointed at all but a wide rounded handle or even one with a wide
rectangular end if it has rounded corners and edges. To further
protect the tire, don't push the spoon handle more than a quarter or
half inch past the end of the metal rim, under the tire. Then lift
the spoon and you will likely not be pinching the tube. I guess you
should uninflate the tube as much as possible before doing this, but
with bicycle tires, I don't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:
gcotterl wrote:

Why would one "put the valve stem in the hole", then "remove the valve
stem" and then "replace the valve stem"? Don't you mean the valve
stem cap?

Generally for passenger tires and larger, tire shops will leave the stem
out for initial (on tubeless) bead setting or for tube to fill and
balloon the tube.

Makes for much faster air flow which is important for setting the bead
and as suggested, allows to deflate the tube again quickly after initial
inflation so it can adjust itself in the space.

Since it's now out, clearly it'll need to be reinstalled after final
inflation...

For such a small tire the inflation speed isn't such a problem but the
idea to help adjust the tube is sound...

--

You're saying "valve stem" when (I think) you mean "valve core"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 1:41*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
[...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6sH8WRl6yI
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:27:02 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:32:21 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl
wrote:

previous answered

Once I get the inner tube into the tire, how do I get the tire back
onto the rim?

Some sudsy water around the bead.. Tire shops of old used this
method. For a small tire -- maybe a WD-40 circle around the bead
will slip it on the rim.

I don't like wd40 - it attacks rubber. Might not be serious - and on
a non-driven wheel with no brakes you are unlikey to tear the
valve-stem out of the tube when the tire slides around the rim.
RuGlyde tire mounting lubricant is ethelene Glycol - vegetable based
(non phosphate) soap works reasonably well - (phosphates in most dish
detergents contribute to corrosion of aluminum wheels.)

Malco Tire Lube is a mixture, apparently, of
Isopropyl Alcohol- - Alkyl Olephin Sulphate, (a surfactant) and
Polyethelene Oxide. ( a lubricant)

Full strength Ethelene Glycol antifreeze works well in a pinch - and
isn'f FAR off from the commercial stuff.

On driven or braking wheels you want something that goes on slick,
and dries with some "bite" to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Or the valve stem core?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"gcotterl" wrote in message

You put the valve stem in the hole, stuff the tube into
the tire, put the
tire back on the rim, remove the valve stem and inflate
and deflate the
tube a couple times so it straightens its self out inside
the tire,
replace the valve stem and inflate to recommended
pressure.

Why would one "put the valve stem in the hole", then "remove
the valve
stem" and then "replace the valve stem"? Don't you mean the
valve
stem cap?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On tubeless, it needs a sharp knife to remove the valve
stem.
http://www.etrailer.com/merchant2/gr...903_2_1000.jpg

And it cannot be reused. Do you mean:

"Valve stem core"
http://www.dansmc.com/valve_stem_cores.jpg

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dpb" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, classic. I have the same problem with "tumbler" when
people talk about locks.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

I think this is the classic case of what a term means.
Instead of valve
stem, maybe valve core should have been used.

My way of thinking , the valve stem is the whole tube
sticking out of the
side of the inertube and the valve core is the part that
screws out of the
valve stem. Then the valve cap is the part that is screwed
over the top of
the valve stem to keep the dirt and such out of the valve.

The valve core is sometimes removed from the valve stem to
air will flow in
faster, or so that you do not have to hold the center part
in when letting
all the air out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

It's that last little bit that's hard. But with experience you learn how to
handle it.

And it may be that it's harder for smaller wheels, I don't know, but
if there is stretching involved, maybe there is less stretching.

I've never done a tire that small; have done plenty of bicycle tires;
though.

OP may be able to push the seated portion down onto the rim below the bead.
This would push the unseated portion further out from the rim, giving him a
bit more wiggle room to lever the last bit over the rim.

But then he'd have to re-center the tire on the rim before inflating it to
make sure it spins true. I can't see it being that difficult.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 00:07:29 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

But then he'd have to re-center the tire on the rim before inflating it to
make sure it spins true. I can't see it being that difficult.

It's a Radio-Flyer wagon. If it bumps he can tell them that's the way
it is on dusty roads when you're a cowboy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 19:48:50 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

On tubeless, it needs a sharp knife to remove the valve
stem.
http://www.etrailer.com/merchant2/gr...903_2_1000.jpg

I virtually NEVER use a knife. Just grab the stem with a pliers, or
the tool used to install the stem, and give it a yank.. Been doing it
that way for 45 years.

.

"dpb" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 00:07:29 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

mm wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

MOST of the really small, like 6" and under, wheels I work with have
split rims. Makes getting tube type tyres on and off a BREEZE
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 10:08:24 -0700, gcotterl wrote:

On Jun 20, 9:46Â*am, Dbdblocker wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:32:21 -0700, gcotterl wrote:
I'm trying to replace the inner tube in the tire of a "Radio Flyer"
child's wagon.

I've removed the wheel from the wagon, worked the tire off one side
of the rim and removed the old inner tube.

The new inner tube is twisting when I work it into the tire. Â*Should
I partially inflate the new inner tube first?

Do I put the valve stem through the hole in the rim before working
the rest of the inner tube into the tire?

Once I get the inner tube into the tire, how do I get the tire back
onto the rim?

You put the valve stem in the hole, stuff the tube into the tire, put
the tire back on the rim, remove the valve stem and inflate and deflate
the tube a couple times so it straightens its self out inside the tire,
replace the valve stem and inflate to recommended pressure.

Why would one "put the valve stem in the hole", then "remove the valve
stem" and then "replace the valve stem"? Don't you mean the valve stem
cap?

If you knew what your were doing it would be simple.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:46:39 +0000, Dbdblocker wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:32:21 -0700, gcotterl wrote:

I'm trying to replace the inner tube in the tire of a "Radio Flyer"
child's wagon.

I've removed the wheel from the wagon, worked the tire off one side of
the rim and removed the old inner tube.

The new inner tube is twisting when I work it into the tire. Should I
partially inflate the new inner tube first?

Do I put the valve stem through the hole in the rim before working the
rest of the inner tube into the tire?

Once I get the inner tube into the tire, how do I get the tire back
onto the rim?

You put the valve stem in the hole, stuff the tube into the tire, put
the tire back on the rim, remove the valve CORE and inflate and deflate
the tube a couple times so it straightens its self out inside the tire,
replace the valve CORE and inflate to recommended pressure.

Does this straighten it out for you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 11:50*am, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ...
gcotterl wrote:

[...]

all the air out.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I _knew_ "stem" was incorrect but due to a senior moment I
couldn't come up witht the correct term.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I like to use a little waterless hand cleaner (GoJo) on the rim and
tire as a lubricant to help get the tir back on the rim.. Soapy water
works pretty good too. HAving a rubber faced sledge hammer is very
helpful too.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:34:44 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Jun 20, 12:48Â*pm, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:32:21 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl

Once I get the inner tube into the tire, how do I get the tire back
onto the rim?

Inch by inch. pushing it past the rim with your thumbs.
If you end up using a flat screwdriver, just put very the tip on the
rim so you don't pinch the new tube and put a hole in it.

--Vic

I like to use a little waterless hand cleaner (GoJo) on the rim and
tire as a lubricant to help get the tir back on the rim.. Soapy water
works pretty good too. HAving a rubber faced sledge hammer is very
helpful too.

Sounds good. I have containers of GoJo all over the place.
Silicone spray might work too.
Tell the truth last time I changed tubed tires was a loooong time ago.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 22:21:52 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:34:44 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Jun 20, 12:48Â*pm, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:32:21 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl

Once I get the inner tube into the tire, how do I get the tire back
onto the rim?

Inch by inch. pushing it past the rim with your thumbs.
If you end up using a flat screwdriver, just put very the tip on the
rim so you don't pinch the new tube and put a hole in it.

--Vic

I like to use a little waterless hand cleaner (GoJo) on the rim and
tire as a lubricant to help get the tir back on the rim.. Soapy water
works pretty good too. HAving a rubber faced sledge hammer is very
helpful too.

Sounds good. I have containers of GoJo all over the place.
Silicone spray might work too.
Tell the truth last time I changed tubed tires was a loooong time ago.

--Vic

Silicone spray is OK for non-driven or non braked wheels - or tubeless
tires - but you do NOT want the tire slippong on the rim with a tube
type tire. Tears the valve stems out of the tubes in a hurry.