Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Security Light Mounting Problem

Hello,

Hope I can explain this fairly clearly.

Have the typical round flood light security-light to illuminate my driveway.

It has the round flange mounting, and meshes with the round electrical
box that is mounted Under a small overhang at the garage door. I think
this is called an eave. There is enough adjustment in the light's arm to
point it down the driveway, even though it is an under eave-type
configuration.

Here's the problem:

I want to replace it with one of those rectangular security light
fixtures, that have the linear Halogen bulb in it.

Some of the smaller (150 W) units say for eave or mounting on the siding.
The bigger units (300 W or 500 W) only say for siding mounting.
Some specifically say not for eave mounting.
Can't understand why the didn't make it for both; would have been very
easy to.
Doubt that it is a heat dissipation concern; they just weren't smart
enough, I guess, to make it for both types of mountings.

Before I make this into a bigger job than necessary, thought I'd ask
here first.

I guess I am looking for an electrical box that is in essence
a right angle, that will pick up the existing eave electrical box, and
allow me to mount the new unit against the opening that would be horiz,
thus simulating a siding type of mounting.

All the openings, and the new unit's flange/cover plate are round.

Anyone know of any RedDot, or other brands, of boxes that would provide
this right-angle configuration ?
Or, any other suggestions on how to do it ?

If you do have a box suggestion, a link to it would be most appreciated.

Much thanks, as always,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:

[...]

Heat *is* the problem, a 500W halogen fixture mounted 3 or 4 inches
below vinyl soffit will readily melt it. Look at the similarly shaped
fixtures that use flat CFL lamps for a better option.

Help with mounting light on metal building stryped[_3_] Metalworking 12 February 6th 11 10:33 PM
Light switch mounting Peter smith UK diy 9 June 14th 09 03:47 PM
security light Minnie Home Repair 4 February 17th 07 05:11 PM
security light NC UK diy 7 September 24th 05 02:16 PM
Security light with PIR? anon UK diy 5 August 22nd 04 11:44 PM