Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sealing oak front door stoop

"TN" wrote in message

Our front door has an oak front stoop that I have tried every
possible wood stain and polyurethane sealer on the market. No matter
what I use it starts cracking very spring and I have to sand it down
and do it all over again.

Does anyone have a product that can stain and seal oak so this is
more durable?

Sealer and stain affect only the outer millimeter or two of the
timber. It cracks because winter dryness and summer humidity
penetrate throughout its thickness. If you want to use a timber
threshhold this will recur unless you find some way of impregnating
the timber with a resin (that solidifies in place, as formerly used
for impregnated bamboo fishing rods. Or you could choose a
threshhold timber with a high natural insensitivity to changing
humidity, e.g. bamboo.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Sealing oak front door stoop Jack Hammer[_3_] Home Repair 2 April 20th 13 12:38 AM
Sealing oak front door stoop zek Home Repair 5 May 30th 11 08:29 PM
Rebuilding Front Stoop With Pavers DerbyDad03 Home Repair 4 April 17th 11 06:52 PM
Repair front stoop Jim Home Repair 1 August 28th 08 06:47 PM
window and door sealing DIY zfc6e Home Repair 3 October 11th 05 04:21 AM