Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange day at Hell Depot

My wife and I stopped by HD today because we needed a circular florescent
bulb for a lighting fixture we got there a few years back, HD seemed likely
to have one. To my shock we were almost immediately greeted by a smiling
employee who hoped we were having a nice day and wanted to know if we needed
any help. We said fine thanks and no thanks since we know where the
lighting dept. is, but before we could get there we were greeted by another
cheerful employee. After we got our florescent tube I started keeping
track, I'd say "three" to my wife, and then "four" and so on as we
encountered more helpful staff while wandering around waiting for
merchandise to call our names (I rarely need an excuse to add to the tool
collection). By the time we got out of the store I was up to seven, maybe
eight if you count the guy who asked a whole bunch of people in the paint
dept. if anyone needed any help--he even took an untagged item I was looking
at and got a price for me--incredible.

Given that I can normally walk around a HD store visiting almost every dept.
without ever being asked if I need any help, I have to wonder what was going
on. New store manager? Flaming rocket from Corporate demanding helpful
employees upon pain of death? Employees unknowingly dosed with
anti-psychotic drugs right before the store opened?

Whatever was going on it was an unusual experience, though one I'd like to
see repeated. The only time I've found that many helpful employees at HD
was a couple of years ago when they built a new store on the other side of
town, but the ratty old store near us is usually sure to send me home in a
foul mood.

Strange, maybe their management finally got a clue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

[...]

The smiley greeters have been posted at the door of my local HD for
about a year. I'd rather have someone who can answer questions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2011 11:26 PM, DGDevin wrote:
[...]

Mebbe they heard corporate was sending some Secret Shoppers around to
rate them. No HD in this town- I wish there was, to keep a flame burning
under the local Lowes. Their only competition locally is a regional
chain- Menard's- which is much more SWMBO-oriented, with brighter
lighting, and floor tile, and background music, and even a frigging
grocery and magazine section. (And all that nasty framing lumber is kept
OUTSIDE, which is less than ideal here in MI, where snow season is about
5 months long.) Lowes at least looks and smells like a real lumberyard,
mostly. Other than in the kitchen and window treatment areas, no fancy
displays, etc.

And before you ask, other than a few ultra-high-price boutique kitchen
and door/window places, the chains have driven all the ma'n'pa
independent yards out of business anywhere near here. There are a few
old-style electrical and plumbing supply houses, but they are only open
the same hours my boss expects me to be flying my desk. They are
purveyors to the trade- they will sell to civilians who walk in, but
they don't encourage it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 May 2011 20:26:48 -0700, "DGDevin" wrote:

[...]

Hmm, and I thought the world was supposed to end *last* Saturday. ;-)

Strange, maybe their management finally got a clue.

I've found that there is a huge difference between HDs. Everyone at the HD
here tries to be nice, though few are really helpful (they do know where
things are, which is something). The one I shopped in VT was excellent. A
lot of the people working were retired tradesmen and were quite willing to
help out, where possible. The one close to where I lived in OH was the pits.
It seems to vary a lot and I suspect it's the store manager who makes the
difference. Perhaps they got a new store manager.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 May 2011 00:28:46 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

[...]

*More* SWMBO oriented than Lowes? My SWMBO spent $2500 in the one down the
road today. I'd hate to have a Menards around. ;-)

And before you ask, other than a few ultra-high-price boutique kitchen
and door/window places, the chains have driven all the ma'n'pa
independent yards out of business anywhere near here. There are a few
old-style electrical and plumbing supply houses, but they are only open
the same hours my boss expects me to be flying my desk. They are
purveyors to the trade- they will sell to civilians who walk in, but
they don't encourage it.

Same here. There is one lumber yard, but it is a good example of why HD and
Lowes succeeded in driving the rest out of business.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2011 10:26 PM, DGDevin wrote:
[...]

POD PEOPLE! THEY'RE TAKING OVER! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, YOU COULD BE NEXT!

^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 11:26*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
[...]

The fact that you were in your words "greeted" by many various HD
store
employees while you were in the store has nothing to do with the store
manager -- it has to do with preventing shrink...

That store must have a very high shoplifting volume for you to be
approached
by that many employees while you were in there...

As far as the door greeters, they serve the same purpose they do at
any
chain store, to direct the customers bringing in returns to the return
register to again cut down on shrink caused by fraudulent returns of
merchandise stolen from the store shelves but never removed from the
store...

As far as the employee being able to tell you the price of an untagged
item, that is REALLY easy for them to do with the hand-held
multipurpose
networked scanner/communicator devices that all of the important HD
employees carry with them now... *SCAN* *BEEP* price and product
info about that item comes up on the screen on the hand-held device...

Your experience of encountering *helpful* store employees has
more to do with stopping losses than helping customers, in fact the
helping customers aspect of it is a totally unintended benefit...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 4:26*am, "DGDevin" wrote:
[...]

It is a custom that has spread from Japan. They have had them there
for years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 7:03*am, Evan wrote:
[...]

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

You are lucky to see anyone at all in our stores. They had hidden
cameras though.......

Now getting to the point where you even work the checkout yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

YOU MUST HAVE CROSSED A MAGIC PORTAL SOMEWHERE..THAT WAS THE HOME
DESPOT.
BTW....THEY WANT YOU BACK IN THERE ASAP
BOOWAHAHAHAHA
TGITM

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

... Snipped for brevity...
Whatever was going on it was an unusual experience, though one I'd like to
see repeated. The only time I've found that many helpful employees at HD
was a couple of years ago when they built a new store on the other side of
town, but the ratty old store near us is usually sure to send me home in a
foul mood.

Strange, maybe their management finally got a clue.

Oh yeah? Let's see if the Happy Helpers show up when you need some chain or
cable cut, or perhaps a duplicate key made...
Posted to alt.home.repair

JKevorkian wrote:
In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

... Snipped for brevity...
Whatever was going on it was an unusual experience, though one I'd
like to see repeated. The only time I've found that many helpful
employees at HD was a couple of years ago when they built a new
store on the other side of town, but the ratty old store near us is
usually sure to send me home in a foul mood.

Strange, maybe their management finally got a clue.

Oh yeah? Let's see if the Happy Helpers show up when you need some
chain or cable cut, or perhaps a duplicate key made...

Whenever the buzzing flys get in my face to insist on "helping" me, I ask
them for a price of something on the other side of the store. It gives them
the purpose in their lives which they sorely lack, and gets them out of my
hair.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote the following:
[...]

For a few years, HD was the only big box stores in my county. We saw
Lowes commercials on TV but we didn't have any nearby.
All of a sudden two Lowes stores opened up. They were within a half mile
from the HDs. The HD employees became very, very, friendly and helpful.
So much so, that the only way they could have been more helpful was for
them to greet us in the parking lot and maybe push our carts out to our car.
So, is there a Lowes opening nearby?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 2:03*am, Evan wrote:

The fact that you were in your words "greeted" by many various HD
store
employees while you were in the store has nothing to do with the store
manager -- it has to do with preventing shrink...

You believe the store manager is not involved in loss prevention?
Curious position.

That store must have a very high shoplifting volume for you to be
approached by that many employees while you were in there...

Mebbe so, mebbe no, but it is very unlikely that DG and his wife would
fit the shoplifter profile to the extent that every employee targeted
them.

As far as the door greeters, they serve the same purpose they do at any
chain store, to direct the customers bringing in returns to the return
register to again cut down on shrink caused by fraudulent returns of
merchandise stolen from the store shelves but never removed from the
store...

The HD around here has a uniformed security guard at the entrance door
do that and he doesn't say hello unless you say it first.

As far as the employee being able to tell you the price of an untagged
item, that is REALLY easy for them to do with the hand-held
multipurpose
networked scanner/communicator devices that all of the important HD
employees carry with them now... **SCAN* *BEEP* price and product
info about that item comes up on the screen on the hand-held device...

I think the point off DG's thread is flying over your paranoid head.
Yes, it is simple for an employee to get a price with a handheld
scanner, but DG said "he even took an untagged item I was looking at
and got a price for me." I take that to mean that he did not have a
handheld scanner and took it over to a register, or checked the shelf,
but that's not the point. The point is that the employee actually
cheerfully did their job. If that doesn't stagger you then you must
not frequent Home Depot.

Your experience of encountering *helpful* store employees has
more to do with stopping losses than helping customers, in fact the
helping customers aspect of it is a totally unintended benefit...

You have a skewed view on this, Evan. Totally unintended? Really?
The two aspects - friendly and helpful employees, and stop-loss are
not mutually exclusive.

When the first HD opened around here (Westbury, NY) many moons ago, I
was besieged by employees asking if they could help me as I walked
down the aisles. You couldn't walk fifty feet without being asked.
Two guys in the same aisle would ask you if you needed help. That
changed. Big time. Not that long ago I could walk up to two
employees talking and they wouldn't even interrupt their conversation
to address me as I was politely standing there. This was not unusual.

Now there is a decided improvement in HD's effort to improve employee-
shopper relations. The employees are going out of their way
more...okay, not out of their way, it _is_ their way - their job, but
they are doing it, and doing it more cheerfully. It's funny how a so-
so economy can be a wonderful impetus to politeness in store
employees. I just wished it worked that way with people whose jobs
weren't on the line.

The friendly and visible factor certainly helps slow down theft, but
it just as certainly helps sell stuff in the stores. Business, and
life is like that. Good basics have benefits in many areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-05-29, willshak wrote:

So much so, that the only way they could have been more helpful was for
them to greet us in the parking lot and maybe push our carts out to our car.

There's a local supermarket chain in NorCal called Nob Hill. They
don't greet you in the parking lot, but they DO take yer shopping cart
out and load yer groceries. They are not allowed to accept tips.
From what I understand, it's more cost effective to wheel the
customers groceries out and bring the cart back than paying the
expense for cart retrieval and/or replacement.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,

On 2011-05-29, willshak wrote:

So much so, that the only way they could have been more helpful was for
them to greet us in the parking lot and maybe push our carts out to our car.

There's a local supermarket chain in NorCal called Nob Hill. They
don't greet you in the parking lot, but they DO take yer shopping cart
out and load yer groceries. They are not allowed to accept tips.
From what I understand, it's more cost effective to wheel the
customers groceries out and bring the cart back than paying the
expense for cart retrieval and/or replacement.

nb

In places where winter actually exists, you leave your groceries inside
the store after checkout, retrieve your car from the parking lot, pull
up into a large carport loading area, and they load your bags there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2011 12:32 PM, harry wrote:

Our carts are all chained up. You have to put a coin in the lock to
get a cart. And rechain the cart to get your coin back.

Is it Aldi? That's the only chain I know of that does that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote in
:

On 2011-05-29, willshak wrote:

So much so, that the only way they could have been more helpful was
for them to greet us in the parking lot and maybe push our carts
out to our

car.

There's a local supermarket chain in NorCal called Nob Hill. *They
don't greet you in the parking lot, but they DO take yer shopping
cart out and load yer groceries. *They are not allowed to accept
tips. From what I understand, it's more cost effective to wheel the
customers groceries out and bring the cart back than paying the
expense for cart retrieval and/or replacement.

nb

Our carts are all chained up. You have to put a coin in the lock to
get a cart. And rechain the cart to get your coin back.

That's like Aldi in the US. Home based in Germany.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On May 29, 7:29*pm, Red Green wrote:

On 2011-05-29, willshak wrote:

So much so, that the only way they could have been more helpful was
for them to greet us in the parking lot and maybe push our carts
out to our

*car.

There's a local supermarket chain in NorCal called Nob Hill. *They
don't greet you in the parking lot, but they DO take yer shopping
cart out and load yer groceries. *They are not allowed to accept
tips. From what I understand, it's more cost effective to wheel the
customers groceries out and bring the cart back than paying the
expense for cart retrieval and/or replacement.

nb

Our carts are all chained up. *You have to put a coin in the lock to
get a cart. And rechain the cart to get your coin back.

That's like Aldi in the US. Home based in Germany.- Hide quoted text -

Too bad there was not a place to complain about customers from a ex
retail employee in a big box store . The stories I could tell you
about ass hole customers who think the world should stop turning cause
they came in the door . Who when told they can,t have something the
way they want it scream like a child who,s toy was taken away. Who no
matter how much you tell them it is not safe or right to do something
their way , tell you what do you know . When it comes to plumbing
more then them for dam sure , and every one knows Shxx flows down hill
and that's why their brain is on the floor .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-05-30, Red Green wrote:

Our carts are all chained up. You have to put a coin in the lock to
get a cart. And rechain the cart to get your coin back.

How can it tell if it's really a cart you've rechained. Can you get
yer qrtr back fer chaining up yer MIL?

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...
[...]

After reading all the responses I am glad to live in this small town. HD is
great here ( along with other firms) When I buy lumber from them they will
cut it to my specs and very accurate. No charge. Then load it into vehicle.
Grocery store always ask if I need help to load to car. I am not disabled in
any way. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-05-29, willshak wrote:

So much so, that the only way they could have been more helpful was for
them to greet us in the parking lot and maybe push our carts out to our car.

There's a local supermarket chain in NorCal called Nob Hill. *They
don't greet you in the parking lot, but they DO take yer shopping cart
out and load yer groceries. *They are not allowed to accept tips.
From what I understand, it's more cost effective to wheel the
customers groceries out and bring the cart back than paying the
expense for cart retrieval and/or replacement.

nb

Our carts are all chained up. *You have to put a coin in the lock to
get a cart. And rechain the cart to get your coin back.

Sounds like ALDI chain of grocery stores
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 9:44*pm, jim wrote:

Too bad there was not a place to complain about customers from a ex
retail employee in a big box store . *The stories I could tell you
about ass hole customers who think the world should stop turning cause
they came in the door . *Who when told they can,t have something the
way they want it scream like a child who,s toy was taken away. Who no
matter how much you tell them it is not safe or right to do something
their way , tell you * what do you know . *When it comes to plumbing
more then them for dam sure , and every one knows Shxx flows down hill
and that's why their brain is on the floor .

You shouldn't be taking this personally. It's not meant as an
indictment of every employee. It started out as a "Well done!" thread
to the improvement in HD's employee presentation. There's no argument
that some customers can be idiots, but does it make sense for an
employee to take it out on the _next_ customer? I don't think so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jim" wrote in message

Too bad there was not a place to complain about customers from a ex
retail employee in a big box store . The stories I could tell you
about ass hole customers who think the world should stop turning cause
they came in the door .

Anyone who has ever worked in retail or any service industry is aware of
those customers. But that doesnt alter the fact that HD has a reputation
for poor service which they richly deserve in my experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 1:44*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*aemeijers wrote:
On 5/29/2011 11:34 AM, Smitty Two wrote:

In places where winter actually exists, you leave your groceries inside
the store after checkout, retrieve your car from the parking lot, pull
up into a large carport loading area, and they load your bags there.

Leave 75 bucks in groceries unattended while I pull the car around? Not
bloody likely. NorCal or whatever chain you are referring to must be
rather upscale. Around here, you have to pull the bags off the
merry-go-round as the checker fills them. If the full ones get all the
way around, they give you such a look. The ONLY people that get load-out
assistance are unaccompanied handicapped folk, and only if they ask for it.

$75? Who buys only one bag at a time?

But anyway, no, they're not "unattended." The store employees put them
in a large cart, with a numbered tag, which waits in a secure attended
area while you take your matching numbered tag with you so they give you
the correct lot of groceries once you retrieve your car.

I'm not the NorCal guy, and I'm not talking upscale. I'm referring to a
common practice in areas with real weather. You know, where it snows to
depths of feet, and rains enough to actually get things wet. You can't
very well navigate a shopping cart on a parking lot with a base of 2" of
ice, covered by 2' of snow.

Well, here in Michigan, we push our grocery carts out to the car and
load 'em ourselves. The grocery store plows and salts the parking
lot,
so all we have to deal with is a little slush.

There's one place here that has the carport thing, but it's definitely
the exception.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

*aemeijers wrote:
[...]

It's just the opposite here in NY. They push the grocery carts out to
the car, and we have to plow and salt the lots.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2011 8:27 PM, Cheryl wrote:
On 5/29/2011 12:32 PM, harry wrote:

Our carts are all chained up. You have to put a coin in the lock to
get a cart. And rechain the cart to get your coin back.

Is it Aldi? That's the only chain I know of that does that.

Not common in US, but SOP in many/most other countries that have the
'supermarket' business model. I have no heartburn with it- I hate
dodging runaway carts, or dealing with cold and drippy ones the lot
monkeys just pushed back into the store. And if you don't feel like
walking back to the covered corral to get your quarter, these setups
attract kids who approach rich-looking folks and offer to return the
carts for them, and swoop like vultures on abandoned carts.

--
aem sends...

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

On 5/29/2011 8:27 PM, Cheryl wrote:
On 5/29/2011 12:32 PM, harry wrote:

Our carts are all chained up. You have to put a coin in the lock to
get a cart. And rechain the cart to get your coin back.

Is it Aldi? That's the only chain I know of that does that.

Not common in US, but SOP in many/most other countries that have the
'supermarket' business model. I have no heartburn with it- I hate
dodging runaway carts, or dealing with cold and drippy ones the lot
monkeys just pushed back into the store. And if you don't feel like
walking back to the covered corral to get your quarter, these setups
attract kids who approach rich-looking folks and offer to return the
carts for them, and swoop like vultures on abandoned carts.

--
aem sends...

Some half-wit tried the paid shopping cart return system at one
supermarket here. You got a quarter to return the cart. Unfortunately,
obtaining a cart was free. The gadget lasted less than a week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

On 5/29/2011 8:27 PM, Cheryl wrote:
On 5/29/2011 12:32 PM, harry wrote:

Our carts are all chained up. You have to put a coin in the lock to
get a cart. And rechain the cart to get your coin back.

Is it Aldi? That's the only chain I know of that does that.

Not common in US, but SOP in many/most other countries that have the
'supermarket' business model. I have no heartburn with it- I hate
dodging runaway carts, or dealing with cold and drippy ones the lot
monkeys just pushed back into the store. And if you don't feel like
walking back to the covered corral to get your quarter, these setups
attract kids who approach rich-looking folks and offer to return the
carts for them, and swoop like vultures on abandoned carts.

or dealing with cold and drippy ones the lot
monkeys just pushed back into the store.

Lot monkeys?

Why do you refer to someone who is willing to work and pay taxes vs sitting
on their ass getsin' a check from your taxes a Lot Monkey?

How the hell Peter DiVergilio Metalworking 0 December 22nd 08 02:51 PM
How the hell Don Foreman Metalworking 3 December 18th 08 05:24 AM
How the hell Wes[_2_] Metalworking 6 December 17th 08 10:04 PM
How the hell Larry Jaques Metalworking 0 December 17th 08 06:50 PM
Is Home Depot shafting shoppers? "Home Depot is a consistent abuser of its customers' time." Stephen Blackpool Home Repair 65 March 17th 07 12:53 PM