Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace T12 fluorescent bulb with T8 bulbs?

I am switching from T12 shop lights to T8 shoplights. Still have several T12
fixtures. I bought a lot of T8 bulbs but I am out of T12 bulbs.

Can I use T8 bulbs in fixtures that previously used T12 bulbs? Of course, T8
bulbs are 32 watt and T12 are 40W. Will the T8 bulbs kill the ballasts in
my remaining T12 fixtures? Will the old T12 ballasts kill my new T8 bulbs?

Thanks for any insight

Walter

www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

"walter" wrote in message
I am switching from T12 shop lights to T8 shoplights. Still have several
T12 fixtures. I bought a lot of T8 bulbs but I am out of T12 bulbs.

Can I use T8 bulbs in fixtures that previously used T12 bulbs? Of course,
T8 bulbs are 32 watt and T12 are 40W. Will the T8 bulbs kill the ballasts
in my remaining T12 fixtures? Will the old T12 ballasts kill my new T8
bulbs?

Thanks for any insight

Walter

www.rationality.net

T12's are 34 watt. They may work but I wouldn't recommend doing it. Just
replace the ballasts with T8 type

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the ballast is not a T8 ballast, it will not work. You need a T8 ballast.

My guess is since the fixture already contained T12 lamps, the ballast isn't
for a T8. Therefore, you'll need to change the ballast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 8:10*pm, "SBH" wrote:
If the ballast is not a T8 ballast, it will not work. You need a T8 ballast.

My guess is since the fixture already contained T12 lamps, the ballast isn't
for a T8. Therefore, you'll need to change the ballast.

+1...

With most "shop lite" type fixtures the replacement T8 ballast would
cost
you more than buying a replacement fixture with the proper ballast for
T8
lamps already installed in it...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 3:07*am, Evan wrote:
On May 28, 8:10*pm, "SBH" wrote:

If the ballast is not a T8 ballast, it will not work. You need a T8 ballast.

My guess is since the fixture already contained T12 lamps, the ballast isn't
for a T8. Therefore, you'll need to change the ballast.

+1...

With most "shop lite" type fixtures the replacement T8 ballast would
cost
you more than buying a replacement fixture with the proper ballast for
T8
lamps already installed in it...

~~ Evan

THATS PREPOSTEROUS....WHO DO YOU GET YOUR BALLASTS FROM ?
TGITM

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Ghost in The Machine" wrote in message
THATS PREPOSTEROUS....WHO DO YOU GET YOUR BALLASTS FROM ?
TGITM

Is your "caps" on permanent lock or are you simply an inconsiderate ass?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2011 6:49 AM, SBH wrote:
"The Ghost in The wrote in message
THATS PREPOSTEROUS....WHO DO YOU GET YOUR BALLASTS FROM ?
TGITM

Is your "caps" on permanent lock or are you simply an inconsiderate ass?

Geez - I didn't think you were a new guy here.

Trolls are required to use all caps - it is part of the annoyance.
(Actually there are several schools of trolldom. Some use all caps. Some
top post with a deleting sig. Some are just idiotic.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

A T8 shop light costs 17.81 at Lowes. Their cheapest 2 bulb ballast costs
24.02

You have a better source??

--
www.rationality.net
On May 29, 3:07 am, Evan wrote:
On May 28, 8:10 pm, "SBH" wrote:

If the ballast is not a T8 ballast, it will not work. You need a T8
ballast.

My guess is since the fixture already contained T12 lamps, the ballast
isn't
for a T8. Therefore, you'll need to change the ballast.

+1...

With most "shop lite" type fixtures the replacement T8 ballast would
cost
you more than buying a replacement fixture with the proper ballast for
T8
lamps already installed in it...

~~ Evan

THATS PREPOSTEROUS....WHO DO YOU GET YOUR BALLASTS FROM ?
TGITM

Posted to alt.home.repair

bud-- wrote:
On 5/29/2011 6:49 AM, SBH wrote:
"The Ghost in The wrote in message
THATS PREPOSTEROUS....WHO DO YOU GET YOUR BALLASTS FROM ?
TGITM

Is your "caps" on permanent lock or are you simply an inconsiderate
ass?

Geez - I didn't think you were a new guy here.

Trolls are required to use all caps - it is part of the annoyance.
(Actually there are several schools of trolldom. Some use all caps.
Some top post with a deleting sig. Some are just idiotic.)

I thought it was just their way of asking to be killfiled. At least, that's how
I responded.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2011 11:46 AM, walter wrote:
A T8 shop light costs 17.81 at Lowes. Their cheapest 2 bulb ballast
costs 24.02

You have a better source??

$ 17.81, with a LBF ballast that fails in about a year.
All 3 of the T8 4' strips that I bought at Lowes failed.
I replaced all the ballasts with $21.00 GE electronic ballasts
that have a High Ballast Factor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 29, 10:24*pm, Congoleum Breckenridge wrote:
On 5/29/2011 11:46 AM, walter wrote: A T8 shop light costs 17.81 at Lowes. Their cheapest 2 bulb ballast
costs 24.02

You have a better source??

$ 17.81, with a LBF ballast that fails in about a year.
All 3 of the T8 4' strips that I bought at Lowes failed.
I replaced all the ballasts with $21.00 GE electronic ballasts
that have a High Ballast Factor.

Haven't heard of 'High Ballast Factor' before, but high power factor
is a desirable quality in electrical supplies, I'm told.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 May 2011 21:16:07 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

On May 29, 10:24*pm, Congoleum Breckenridge wrote:
On 5/29/2011 11:46 AM, walter wrote: A T8 shop light costs 17.81 at Lowes. Their cheapest 2 bulb ballast
costs 24.02

You have a better source??

$ 17.81, with a LBF ballast that fails in about a year.
All 3 of the T8 4' strips that I bought at Lowes failed.
I replaced all the ballasts with $21.00 GE electronic ballasts
that have a High Ballast Factor.

Haven't heard of 'High Ballast Factor' before, but high power factor
is a desirable quality in electrical supplies, I'm told.

Desirable for whom? Your power company might like you but they won't show
their appreciation in your (residential) power bill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 28 May 2011 14:34:22 -0700, "walter"
wrote:

I am switching from T12 shop lights to T8 shoplights. Still have several
T12
fixtures. I bought a lot of T8 bulbs but I am out of T12 bulbs.

Can I use T8 bulbs in fixtures that previously used T12 bulbs? Of course,
T8
bulbs are 32 watt and T12 are 40W. Will the T8 bulbs kill the ballasts in
my remaining T12 fixtures? Will the old T12 ballasts kill my new T8 bulbs?

Thanks for any insight

Walter

www.rationality.net

Sure, it will work like this. Install the T8 bulbs. Go to the light
switch on the wall. Flip it on. You will see a blinding light so
bright that you will be blind for the rest of your life. Within 10
seconds there will be a loud blast. Flames will shoot out of the
fixture igniting everything in the room that is flammable. Your house
will burn to the ground. Eventually the fire will go out. If you
managed to get out the door (since you're blind, you may not find it),
you will be saved. If you do not make it out the door, you will burn
up, but you still may be saved if you believe in Jesus and confessed
your sins lately.

If your life has been dull and boring, this is the way to liven it up.

In Cod we Trust

Another way to liven up a dull and boring life is to troll in newsgroups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , walter wrote:

I am switching from T12 shop lights to T8 shoplights. Still have several T12
fixtures. I bought a lot of T8 bulbs but I am out of T12 bulbs.

Can I use T8 bulbs in fixtures that previously used T12 bulbs? Of course, T8
bulbs are 32 watt and T12 are 40W. Will the T8 bulbs kill the ballasts in
my remaining T12 fixtures? Will the old T12 ballasts kill my new T8 bulbs?

I have seen 2 T8 bulbs in a fixture that apparently has a T12 ballast.
The bulbs have trucked on over a year already.

However, there are predictable effects from the abuse case of running
32W T8 bulbs from a 40W-per-bulb T12 ballast:

* Bulbs may have trouble starting, sometimes intermittent. (T8 bulbs
have a higher requirement of ballast output voltage than true 40 watt
T12 bulbs have.)

* 32W T8 bulbs powered by a 40W/bulb T12 ballast can easily be
overpowered if they start. That is likely to shorten the life of the
bulbs, fair chance disproportionately.

* A 32W T8 bulb being powered by a 40W/bulb ballast can have its running
being less stable - as in increased vulnerability to flickering effects
and increased effects of cold temperatures on stability and ability to
start.

There is another matter: Using a bulb of type other than the one or
ones on any combination of the ballast label (or nameplate), fixture
label, fixture documentation or fixture packaging - is abuse of electrical
equipment. Fire insurance companies could give huge major trouble if a
fire starts in electrical equipment that is being abused. You could need
a good lawyer and good expert witnesses to have only fair-good chance of
prevailing if the fire was caused solely by factors other than abuse of
electrical equipment.
--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , RBM wrote:

"walter" wrote in message
I am switching from T12 shop lights to T8 shoplights. Still have several
T12 fixtures. I bought a lot of T8 bulbs but I am out of T12 bulbs.

Can I use T8 bulbs in fixtures that previously used T12 bulbs? Of course,
T8 bulbs are 32 watt and T12 are 40W. Will the T8 bulbs kill the ballasts
in my remaining T12 fixtures? Will the old T12 ballasts kill my new T8
bulbs?

Thanks for any insight

Walter

www.rationality.net

T12's are 34 watt. They may work but I wouldn't recommend doing it. Just
replace the ballasts with T8 type

T12's are traditionally 40 watt. The 34 watt one is an "energy saver"
version, slightly infamous for "being crankier" including increased
starting difficulties and increased vulnerability to cold temperatures.

True 40 watt F40 T12 is still retail-available, and I saw them about a
year ago. The hoop to jump through is color rendering index high enough
to get an exemption that sounds to me on basis of "specialty lamp".
There is a small range of color rendering index (CRI) high enough to
meet that requirement, get used in practice, and not significantly
compromise light output. Even better, the color distortions of the ones
I have in mind and most others in that CRI range are majority in favorable
directions unless "warmest" color is chosen - unlike most fluorescent
lamps with CRI rated to be less than 82 or in the low 90's.

CRI above 86 typically incurs a severe compromise in light output, by
having spectrum including "mid-red to deep-red", which human vision is
less sensitive to than to the range from orangish red to mid-blue.

The F40 T12 ones I am talking about now are Philips Ultralume series.
I have seen those at Home Depot last year; I expect those are there now.

I recommend the /35U or /835 or similar color code ones (nominally 3500
Kelvin) if you want a halogen-like "whiter shade of warm white". I find
the 3000 ones to be "stuffy warm" and to invite expectation of better
ability to render red objects such as poinsettia leaves as truly red, as
opposed to orangish red.
Red objects tend to me to be appear more accurate in color when nominal
color temperature of an 82-86 CRI fluorescent lamp is at least 3500 K.

For color like that of traditional "cool white", go for the 4100
version. That's my favorite for economical visual simulation in color and
color-rendition effect of "average midday sunlight", along with F32T8 of
similar CRI and same nominal color temperature.

However, less-warm color (higher color temperature) has increased
requirement of illumination level to "look good", unless the lighting is
so dim that higher color temperature gains by being more favorable to
stimulating the eye's "rod" photosensors used more in "night vision".

At 4100 K color temperature, my experience is that this only "looks
good" when illumination level gets to or above 1,000 lux (about 90
foot-candles).

3500 K appears to me to look good around and above 100 lux (9 foot-
candles.) For home lighting dimmer than somewhere around that, moving
to even-warmer (lower color temperature) of 3000 or 2700 K is likely best
for "nice warm feeling" and avoiding "dreary gray effect". Also, be
prepared for a fluorescent including CFL "rated lumen" to be worth as low
as 80% of "incandescent lumens" due to temperature sensitivities and aging
sensitivities being worse for fluorescents including CFL, combined with
fluorescenht having generally lower s/p ratio than incandescent of same
color temperature.
--
- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , SBH wrote:

"The Ghost in The Machine" wrote in message
THATS PREPOSTEROUS....WHO DO YOU GET YOUR BALLASTS FROM ?
TGITM

Is your "caps" on permanent lock or are you simply an inconsiderate ass?

The "Ghost..." has been told this many times. I skip about 98% of
everything he posts noweadays - and rising.

My vote is that the "Ghost" is inconsiderate and effectively either a
donkey or a horse's kiester/tookus/bootie.
--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Congoleum Breckenridge wrote:
On 5/29/2011 11:46 AM, walter wrote:
A T8 shop light costs 17.81 at Lowes. Their cheapest 2 bulb ballast
costs 24.02

You have a better source??

$ 17.81, with a LBF ballast that fails in about a year.
All 3 of the T8 4' strips that I bought at Lowes failed.
I replaced all the ballasts with $21.00 GE electronic ballasts
that have a High Ballast Factor.

I have gotten supreme, obviously "commercial grade", ballasts of
Sylvania brand, for lamp combos including a pair of F32T8 and F17T8,
for $17 each, from an electrical supply shop of the kind that likes its
customers to be electricians. About 1.5 years ago. They were Sylvania
"Quicktronic" IIRC, and IIRC they were rated to take input AC of either 50
or 60 Hz, along with input voltage in a wide range including 110-120 to
277 (probably plus upward tolerances for 277) or maybe only up to 250.
(If I am wrong anywhere here, please chime in.)

In such shops, especially in or near a "union town", be patient. You
could easily be in the line behind people being paid bigtime wages to
stand in line. Please know what you are ordering, and what you are
talking about. Please know what you are talking about including how to
do so in "reasonably electrician talk".

--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 7:49*am, "SBH" wrote:
"The Ghost in The Machine" wrote in message
THATS PREPOSTEROUS....WHO DO YOU GET YOUR BALLASTS FROM ?
TGITM

Is your "caps" on permanent lock or are you simply an inconsiderate ass?

LISTEN SNOHB ANSWER THE QUESTION AT HAND, IF YOU CANT, THEN KEEP YOUR
ASS FACE OUT OF THE POST...YOU INCONSIDERATE DISTRACTING ARROGANT
BUTTARD.

TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 11:45*am, bud-- wrote:
On 5/29/2011 6:49 AM, SBH wrote:

"The Ghost in The *wrote in message
THATS PREPOSTEROUS....WHO DO YOU GET YOUR BALLASTS FROM ?
TGITM

Is your "caps" on permanent lock or are you simply an inconsiderate ass?

Geez - I didn't think you were a new guy here.

Trolls are required to use all caps - it is part of the annoyance.
(Actually there are several schools of trolldom. Some use all caps. Some
top post with a deleting sig. Some are just idiotic.)

YES BUDINSKY WE ALL KNOW YOU ARE AN IDIOTIC TROLL.
HAVE A NICE DAY!
TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 5:25*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
bud-- wrote:
On 5/29/2011 6:49 AM, SBH wrote:
"The Ghost in The *wrote in message
THATS PREPOSTEROUS....WHO DO YOU GET YOUR BALLASTS FROM ?
TGITM

Is your "caps" on permanent lock or are you simply an inconsiderate
ass?

Geez - I didn't think you were a new guy here.

Trolls are required to use all caps - it is part of the annoyance.
(Actually there are several schools of trolldom. Some use all caps.
Some top post with a deleting sig. Some are just idiotic.)

I thought it was just their way of asking to be killfiled. At least, that's how
I responded.

THANK YOU!
I DO NOT WANT YOUR F ASS PREVY TO THE WONDERS THAT I DIVULGE ANYWAY.
TGITM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 10:58*pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In article , SBH wrote:

"The Ghost in The Machine" wrote in message
THATS PREPOSTEROUS....WHO DO YOU GET YOUR BALLASTS FROM ?
TGITM

Is your "caps" on permanent lock or are you simply an inconsiderate ass?

* The "Ghost..." has been told this many times. *I skip about 98% of
everything he posts noweadays - and rising.

* My vote is that the "Ghost" is inconsiderate and effectively either a
donkey or a horse's kiester/tookus/bootie.
--
*- Don Klipstein )

YPUR LOSS MR. KLIP****...BUT PLEASE..KEEP YOUR GAY FEELINGS OUT OF
THIS.
I AM A GHOST NOT A SUITOR.....TAKE IT TO ALT.GAY.BOOTPOP.
THEY MAY CATER TO HORSE LOVERS THERE TOO....NOT HERE DONKEY MAN.
BOOWAHAHAHA
TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 11:14*pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
[...]

HE IS JUST A CHEAPY......HE OUGHT TO GET ON HOMEOWNERS WELFARE.
I HEAR THEY GIVE OUT LOW INTEREST LOANS AND NO PAYBACK GRANTS TO HOME
OWNERS IF YOU RENT OUT A ROOM OR APARTMENT TO CRACKHEADS, INDIGENTS
AND OTHER DISENFRANCHISED WANDERERES.

BOOWAHAHAHAHA ! WHAT A COUNTRY.
JUST DO IT !
PATECUM
TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to , engineerrick wrote:
that is dumb and incorrect. i come across t12 fixtures/ballasts frequently in
our building previous, lazy people have jammed t8 bulbs into. as if by the
grace of god, our building has yet to burn down.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...bs-635785-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 7, 2016 at 4:44:04 PM UTC-5, engineerrick wrote:
replying to , engineerrick wrote:
that is dumb and incorrect. i come across t12 fixtures/ballasts frequently in
our building previous, lazy people have jammed t8 bulbs into. as if by the
grace of god, our building has yet to burn down.
--

Unfortunately, 5 years ago, Walter's shop exploded when he installed the wrong lamps in his fixtures. He was killed in the tragic freak accident. He's survived by 3 wives, 24 children and 824 gerbils. Many of the gerbils were so distraught that they committed suicide by cat. It was a very sad event. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace T12 fluorescent bulb with T8 bulbs? == HOMEOWNERS HUB BLAST FROM THE PAST

engineerrick writes:

replying to , engineerrick wrote:
that is dumb and incorrect. i come across t12 fixtures/ballasts frequently in
our building previous, lazy people have jammed t8 bulbs into. as if by the
grace of god, our building has yet to burn down.

Homeowners Hub provides a broken interface to Usenet.
That post is May 2011.

I suggest you use a real Usenet client and account.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen writes:
engineerrick writes:

replying to , engineerrick wrote:
that is dumb and incorrect. i come across t12 fixtures/ballasts frequently in
our building previous, lazy people have jammed t8 bulbs into. as if by the
grace of god, our building has yet to burn down.

Homeowners Hub provides a broken interface to Usenet.
That post is May 2011.

And even worse, the scumbags at Homeowners Hub intentionally don't
quote the original article, in order to drive traffic
to their site. In the sig see "for full context, visit".

They're simple leaches.
Posted to alt.home.repair

So full of ****
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 13:54:51 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

So full of ****

Well spit it out if it don't taste good.