Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default Lawnmower HP Litigation

Reference the class action lawsuit against lawnmower manufacturers for
not calculating the HP claims properly, the case is apparently
settled. I received my settlement check today. Suit claims for walk
behinds said "up to $35" was actually $10.19 each, and riding mowers
"up to $75" was actually $21.84 each. My check was for one of each
for a total of $32.03.
Accompanying statement said the overall amount was capped, more than
expected claims were received, and amounts were reduced pro rata from
the capped amounts. No mention of lawyer fees.

Since I never expected to get a penny, I was surprised with the
amount. Especially since the mowers worked just like I expected them
to regardless of hp ratings. Do I feel guilty? Nope.

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/24/2011 6:39 PM, Red wrote:
Reference the class action lawsuit against lawnmower manufacturers for
not calculating the HP claims properly, the case is apparently
settled. I received my settlement check today. Suit claims for walk
behinds said "up to $35" was actually $10.19 each, and riding mowers
"up to $75" was actually $21.84 each. My check was for one of each
for a total of $32.03.
Accompanying statement said the overall amount was capped, more than
expected claims were received, and amounts were reduced pro rata from
the capped amounts. No mention of lawyer fees.

Since I never expected to get a penny, I was surprised with the
amount. Especially since the mowers worked just like I expected them
to regardless of hp ratings. Do I feel guilty? Nope.

Red

Yep, got mine a couple days ago. Deposited it before they changed their
minds.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/24/2011 6:39 PM, Red wrote:
Reference the class action lawsuit against lawnmower manufacturers for
not calculating the HP claims properly, the case is apparently
settled. I received my settlement check today. Suit claims for walk
behinds said "up to $35" was actually $10.19 each, and riding mowers
"up to $75" was actually $21.84 each. My check was for one of each
for a total of $32.03.
Accompanying statement said the overall amount was capped, more than
expected claims were received, and amounts were reduced pro rata from
the capped amounts. No mention of lawyer fees.

Since I never expected to get a penny, I was surprised with the
amount. Especially since the mowers worked just like I expected them
to regardless of hp ratings. Do I feel guilty? Nope.

Red

But I bet the lawyers didn't have a cap and didn't have to pro rate
their fees!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:
Reference the class action lawsuit against lawnmower manufacturers for
not calculating the HP claims properly, the case is apparently
settled. I received my settlement check today. Suit claims for walk
behinds said "up to $35" was actually $10.19 each, and riding mowers
"up to $75" was actually $21.84 each. My check was for one of each
for a total of $32.03.
Accompanying statement said the overall amount was capped, more than
expected claims were received, and amounts were reduced pro rata from
the capped amounts. No mention of lawyer fees.

Since I never expected to get a penny, I was surprised with the
amount. Especially since the mowers worked just like I expected them
to regardless of hp ratings. Do I feel guilty? Nope.

Meanwhile the cost comes out of the workers pockets, product quality, the
cost of the product goes up for the consumer, and more parts are contracted
out overseas.

Yes, they were idiots to lie about the HP rating, and deserve punishment,
but class-action suits of this kind only serve to line the pockets of greedy
lawyers.

Congratulations on being part of the problem with this country.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Red wrote:
[...]

So you clearly want corporations to just get away with these scams with no
consequences. Class actions are the only remedy we have to fight corrupt
manufacturers, until consumer protection laws are drastically improved.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 5/24/2011 3:39 PM, Red wrote:

Accompanying statement said the overall amount was capped, more than
expected claims were received, and amounts were reduced pro rata from
the capped amounts. No mention of lawyer fees.

I'm sure the fees were high enough to convince the manufacturers to not
pull this sort of stunt again!

"...the defendants sold "identical, but differently and misleadingly
labeled, engines at different prices -- with higher prices for engines
labeled with purported higher horsepower." In other words, the companies
took two identical engines, slapped different labels on them, and sold
them at significantly different prices."

Since I never expected to get a penny, I was surprised with the
amount. Especially since the mowers worked just like I expected them
to regardless of hp ratings. Do I feel guilty? Nope.

It's still not too late to claim the one year warranty extension.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote

Yes, they were idiots to lie about the HP rating, and deserve
punishment, but class-action suits of this kind only serve to line
the pockets of greedy lawyers.

Congratulations on being part of the problem with this country.

So you clearly want corporations to just get away with these scams with no
consequences. Class actions are the only remedy we have to fight corrupt
manufacturers, until consumer protection laws are drastically improved.

I don't see it as a big deal, but I'm going to cash my $10 check. If one
company lied, they they would cause a problem with comparisons, but if they
all lied and used the same rating method, the consumer is not going to
suffer. You know that a number 6 motor has more power than a number 5
motor. Does anyone really know how much HP they need to cut their
particular lawn?

Auto maker used to rate the engine differently too. That 300 HP Chevy from
1960 had something less. But since they all used the same numbers, you had
a basis for comparison.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 6:39*pm, Red wrote:
Reference the class action lawsuit against lawnmower manufacturers for
not calculating the HP claims properly, the case is apparently
settled. *I received my settlement check today. *Suit claims for walk
behinds said "up to $35" *was actually $10.19 each, and riding mowers
"up to $75" was actually $21.84 each. *My check was for one of each
for a total of $32.03.
Accompanying statement said the overall amount was capped, more than
expected claims were received, and amounts were reduced pro rata from
the capped amounts. *No mention of lawyer fees.

Since I never expected to get a penny, I was surprised with the
amount. *Especially since the mowers worked just like I expected them
to regardless of hp ratings. *Do I feel guilty? *Nope.

Red

YOU'RE JUST PITCHING FOR A REMAKE OF LAWNMOWER MAN ARENT YOU?
BOOWAHAHAHAHA
TGITM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/24/2011 8:58 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Red wrote:
[...]

The real solution to frivilous class action suits is to take all the
lawyers out and shoot them. Think it would be amazing how much prices
and various insurance policies would drop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 10:39*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Bob F" wrote

[...]

I agree that a number is only used as a comparison, no big deal. It is
how they used the number to make their product seem better than the
others. Again, how important is the number in regards to lawnmowers?
To the average consumer it may be important enough to buy a certain
brand.

Since I am only a number in the Government database and a peon that
don't have enough clout ( think horsepower) to change things, I will
take my $21.84 and cash the check and only hope it covers most of the
price increases that follow.

Hank ~~~~ Realist
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote in message

Since I never expected to get a penny, I was surprised with the
amount. Especially since the mowers worked just like I expected them
to regardless of hp ratings. Do I feel guilty? Nope.

Generally the only people to get serious money from class action cases are
the lawyers. However these cases do serve a valuable role in that they can
be expensive enough for corporations that getting their knuckles rapped by a
judge to the tune of x-million dollars can influence corporate behavior in
future. My wife and I have been invited to participate in several such
suits; the only one we bothered to join concerned an investment company that
had colored outside the lines somehow and we actually got a nice piece of
change out of that, we'd have been able to buy a real nice lawnmower if we'd
needed one. But usually the pay out is so small it seems pointless other
than the company in question hopefully learning a lesson.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

needed one. But usually the pay out is so small it seems pointless other
than the company in question hopefully learning a lesson.

And even that is often doubtful. My favorite was a settlement I
"participated in" for some strange wording of the contract for the old
GTE Mobilnet. I only got my free earbud in "settlement" if I renewed my
contract for three years. Sorta class action suits as a marketing ploy.
The other ones, you know they settled for something that probably more
or less coincided with their insurance coverage and less than the
probable costs of actually defending it.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:
[...]

Tagged for Bounty comes to mind.

Would they then become cannibals. You betcha!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2011 3:29 PM, Bob-tx wrote:

Red wrote:
[...]

Would it be okay to drown them instead? Ammunition has really gone up.

Sure but then you have to put them in your vehicle to haul them to the water

Cost of Litigation GROVER Woodworking 40 June 22nd 07 05:33 PM
747 Lawnmower ?..............Yes, this is real, a flying Lawnmower [email protected] Home Repair 8 July 14th 06 06:22 PM
need help with lawnmower Betsy Home Ownership 43 September 13th 05 04:00 PM
need help with lawnmower Betsy Home Repair 44 September 13th 05 04:00 PM