DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   do they make 5/8" extension ring for an outlet box? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/323657-do-they-make-5-8-extension-ring-outlet-box.html)

Mikepier May 23rd 11 01:49 PM

do they make 5/8" extension ring for an outlet box?

I want to laminate 5/8" sheetrock over the existing plaster wall where
there are a few outlets.in metal boxes.
Obviously now the outlets will be recessed in the walls after the work
is done. Do they make a 5/8" extension ring? Or do I even need an
extension ring?

John Grabowski May 23rd 11 05:41 PM

do they make 5/8" extension ring for an outlet box?

I want to laminate 5/8" sheetrock over the existing plaster wall where
there are a few outlets.in metal boxes.
Obviously now the outlets will be recessed in the walls after the work
is done. Do they make a 5/8" extension ring? Or do I even need an
extension ring?

*Arlington make these box extenders:
http://www.arlcatalog.com/Miscellane...0Extenders.htm There are also
metal types available from electrical supply companies.

You are required to have the box extend out.

Mikepier May 23rd 11 06:22 PM

do they make 5/8" extension ring for an outlet box?

Thanks for the link. Thats exactly what I'm looking for. I see they
are made of plastic. I wonder if I can still use them with metal
boxes. This is in a condo where everything is BX.
Would Lowes or HD have these box extenders?.

RBM[_3_] May 23rd 11 10:05 PM

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Thanks for the link. Thats exactly what I'm looking for. I see they
are made of plastic. I wonder if I can still use them with metal
boxes. This is in a condo where everything is BX.
Would Lowes or HD have these box extenders?.

They're made in metal too, but you're better off with plastic, no concern
about shorting out. Regardless of what the extenders are made of, you will
have to run equipment grounding conductors from the box to the receptacle.

Mikepier May 24th 11 11:28 AM

do they make 5/8" extension ring for an outlet box?

I did find Raco metal extenders at HD. I wanted metal because this is
a condo bldg I'm working in and code calls for bx and metal boxes, so
I just wanted to play it safe.
They came with 2 long screws which is nice.
Thanks for everyones help.