DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hanging a door (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/323519-hanging-door.html)

notbob[_4_] May 19th 11 08:35 PM

Hanging a door

A bear ripped the door to our shed in half. It was cheap T11-1 (?)
fiberboard. I got 5/8" B/C (?) plywood to replace it. Also got some
new 1x4" fer trim and new 2x4" for reinforcement. My question is,
should I mount all the other lumber on the door prior to hanging or
can I add the trim/etc after hanging? I'm afraid the former is the
proper answer cuz of weight, but will make one-man (me!) hanging more
difficult. Any tips?

nb

notbob[_4_] May 19th 11 08:55 PM

Hanging a door

On 2011-05-19, Oren wrote:

I don't know the fix for the door, but what is in the shed that
attracts the bear? ... food or wrappers and such...

Dog kibbel and a small freezer. That's all gone, as is the bear which
was trapped an put down.

nb

WW[_2_] May 19th 11 09:31 PM

Hanging a door

On 2011-05-19, Oren wrote:

I don't know the fix for the door, but what is in the shed that
attracts the bear? ... food or wrappers and such...

Dog kibbel and a small freezer. That's all gone, as is the bear which
was trapped an put down.

nb

nb For future, Clad the door with sheet metal or aluminum and hook up to a
fence charger. This sure cured raccoons for me. WW

notbob[_4_] May 19th 11 09:45 PM

Hanging a door

On 2011-05-19, WW wrote:

nb For future, Clad the door with sheet metal or aluminum and hook up to a
fence charger. This sure cured raccoons for me. WW

Yikes!

A 44. magnum is cheaper.

nb

Colbyt May 20th 11 12:05 AM

Hanging a door

"notbob" wrote in message
A bear ripped the door to our shed in half. It was cheap T11-1 (?)
fiberboard. I got 5/8" B/C (?) plywood to replace it. Also got some
new 1x4" fer trim and new 2x4" for reinforcement. My question is,
should I mount all the other lumber on the door prior to hanging or
can I add the trim/etc after hanging? I'm afraid the former is the
proper answer cuz of weight, but will make one-man (me!) hanging more
difficult. Any tips?

nb

To give you a serious answer, better to do it before, but for a shed make
your life simple.After is almost as good.

Assuming you are building a new door, make the frame about one inch smaller
than the finished size on all except the hinge side(s). This will allow you
to trim at install or later if needed.

Using truss plates at the 4 corners, along with diagonal bracing and you may
never need to trim it.

--
Colbyt