Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Serious Question - Why am I splitting firewood

Besides making it fit, what is the purpose of splitting firewood?
To help it dry? To help it burn?
I'm tired of splitting it but not knowing why.
Thanks
Rb
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/18/2011 11:37 AM, wrote:
Besides making it fit, what is the purpose of splitting firewood?
To help it dry? To help it burn?

yes (besides, it warms you twice't)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 5:37*pm, wrote:
Besides making it fit, what is the purpose of splitting firewood?
To help it dry? *To help it burn?
I'm tired of splitting it but not knowing why.
Thanks
Rb

To get it through the door on your stove? That is my only concern.

The smaller you split it the faster it drys (and burns) and the less
you can get in the stove.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 12:37*pm, wrote:
Besides making it fit, what is the purpose of splitting firewood?
To help it dry? *To help it burn?
I'm tired of splitting it but not knowing why.
Thanks
Rb

"I'm tired of splitting it but not knowing why."

You really don't know why you're tired of splitting it?

That should be pretty easy to figure out!

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 18, 12:40*pm, dpb wrote:
On 5/18/2011 11:37 AM, wrote: Besides making it fit, what is the purpose of splitting firewood?
To help it dry? *To help it burn?

yes (besides, it warms you twice't)

someone had to say it, I guess...

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 2:53*pm, N8N wrote:
On May 18, 12:40*pm, dpb wrote:

On 5/18/2011 11:37 AM, wrote: Besides making it fit, what is the purpose of splitting firewood?
To help it dry? *To help it burn?

yes (besides, it warms you twice't)

someone had to say it, I guess...

nate

I have always found that statement to be ridiculous.

It's a rare case when someone splits wood just to keep warm. Given the
option of splitting wood as a means to keep warm vs. spending time in
a heated space to keep warm, I'm pretty sure most people would skip
the work.

In other words I don't see the "warming you twice" situation as any
type of advantage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 3:12*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Given the
option of splitting wood as a means to keep warm vs. spending time in
a heated space to keep warm, I'm pretty sure most people would skip
the work.

You are correct. And then they get fat and PAY to go to a gym...

(I do too, but I have neither trees nor the need for firewood (Miami)).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 9:37*am, wrote:
Besides making it fit, what is the purpose of splitting firewood?
To help it dry? *To help it burn?
I'm tired of splitting it but not knowing why.
Thanks
Rb

A reason not mentioned: After splitting you have a bigger pile than
before . A rick of wood in the rounds will grow about 10% after
splitting.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
Besides making it fit, what is the purpose of splitting firewood?
To help it dry? To help it burn?
I'm tired of splitting it but not knowing why.
Thanks
Rb

Faster drying, easier handling, and sometimes you need smaller pieces to get
a fire going.

or more logs. One piece of wood does not burn very well, but two logs feed
off of each other for a better, hotter, fire. Just watch two logs side by
side and see the flames licking back and forth.

It is nearly impossible to light a large log. Building a fire, you need
very small wood, then a bit larger, still larger, then the big logs. When
the fire is down, you put smaller split pieces in to get it going and to
start the larger pieces that will give a longer burn time.

I always had a variety of sizes on hand to load up the stove. The problem
recently is cost. If you can get free wood, great. Buying cordwood cut and
split is getting too expensive and not worth the effort compared to turning
a thermostat. Good to have some on hand in case of power outages though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 12:37*pm, wrote:
Besides making it fit, what is the purpose of splitting firewood?
To help it dry? *To help it burn?
I'm tired of splitting it but not knowing why.
Thanks
Rb

HOW MUCH WOOD, WOULD RB CHUCK IF RB COULD CHUCK WOOD?
IT DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH YOU SPLIT, FOR YOUR PIT

TGITM
PAT ECUM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 18, 11:37*am, wrote:
Besides making it fit, what is the purpose of splitting firewood?
To help it dry? *To help it burn?
I'm tired of splitting it but not knowing why.
Thanks
Rb

I'm a month shy of 75 years old and I enjoy the exercise of splitting
firewood. I have to do some splitting because the rounds are 2ft in
diameter and just too heavy and big to fit in the fireplace without
splitting them. I have free wood and so I can really save some $$ by
heating our house with free wood. Our heatolator fireplace can keep
the house at 70 unless it is very windy out and/or below 20F. I just
turn on the furnace fan to run continuously. I do realize I am paying
something extra to run the blower continuously, but it would be on
quite a lot if I was using the furnace to heat the house, so the delta
is pretty small compared to using natural gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 18 May 2011 13:11:38 -0700 (PDT), Larry Fishel
wrote:

On May 18, 3:12*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Given the
option of splitting wood as a means to keep warm vs. spending time in
a heated space to keep warm, I'm pretty sure most people would skip
the work.

You are correct. And then they get fat and PAY to go to a gym...

(I do too, but I have neither trees nor the need for firewood (Miami)).

Can't you split rocks into sand?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On May 18, 3:12*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Given the
option of splitting wood as a means to keep warm vs. spending time in
a heated space to keep warm, I'm pretty sure most people would skip
the work.

You are correct. And then they get fat and PAY to go to a gym...

(I do too, but I have neither trees nor the need for firewood (Miami)).

Can't you split rocks into sand?

CAN YOU TURN WATER INTO WINE?

PATECUM
Posted to alt.home.repair

i had a family friend who heated their home with wood, and bragged
about how much money they saved over oil heat

I then asked how much work does it take?

Oh the wood is free from a summer camp they owned

BUT they had to drive there every weekend for the summer to cut split
and haul the wood out of their mini forest. then haul the wood home
and stack and let dry for a year.

as i pointed out to them oil was cheaper.

if compared to the 3 of them having minimum wage jobs putting the same
number of hours in working at the local store, and adding in the cost
of gasoline to haul the many truckloads of wood home each weekend.

one family member admitted it started out fun but became a never
ending job he hated the constamt push to be ready for heat, concerned
all summer long...........

free heat wasnt free at all

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 8:33*am, bob haller wrote:
[...]

We often hear people say "It's not worth my time to do it myself. My
time is worth $X/hour and I can pay someone less than that to do it
for me."

That logic only works if you actually earn $X/hour during the time
that you would have otherwise been working on the project. If you hire
a guy to do it and then go sit on your butt shoveling Cheetos into
your mouth, then it didn't make economic sense to hire it out. The
money left your pocket and wasn't replaced.

In other words, unless the 3 of them actually went out and got that
minimum wage job, you can't use it as a comparison. If they pay for
the oil but don't work to offset the cost, then their cash flow will
show an outflow which might be more than the cost of the gas required
to get the wood.

I don't know that it will, because I don't know the actual numbers,
but I do know that you can't factor wages into the equation if the
wages don't exist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 10:12*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

wages don't exist.- Hide quoted text -

well at minimum its a comparison of value.

to say I save 3 grand a year by heating with wood is fine

but, it night cst the proud person 500 bucks in gasoline, wear and
tear on vehicle.

so now theire savings is $2500 bucks

Now if just one person works minimum wage for a take home after taxes
SS and all the rest of 5 bucks per hour....

just 500 hours to be equal, and way more convenient no tending the
fire, no emptying ashes, no hauling the wood inside in freezing
weather.

under 10 hours a week to be equal $500 divided by 50 weeks, allowing 2
weeks for vacation

now wether or not the individual choose to work the job isnt really
revelant, this still details costs
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On May 18, 11:32*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On May 18, 11:37*am, wrote:

[...]

Ditto. I'm 70 and enjoy the exercise of splitting my own wood with a
sledge & wedge. I keep 5 years worth of split firewood under cover
just in case I get 'old'. I burn the oldest first, never have to
worry if it's dry enough to burn, & refill the shed every spring.
Easy to do when it's off your own land.
Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 11:40*am, bob haller wrote:
[...]

revelant, this still details costs- Hide quoted text -

Sure it details the cost, but it's a fruitless exercise. I think we
can be pretty sure that no one in that family is going to take the
minimum wage job to offset the cost of changing from wood to oil.

If the savings is $3K before gas & maintenance and $2.5K after
"operating expenses", it's still a savings of $2.5K.

You can't negate that savings by bringing non-existent (and never
going to be existent) wages into the equation and claiming that oil
would be cheaper.

Why not say:

"If you won the lottery, the oil would be cheaper."
"If Grandma leaves you $5 million, the oil would be cheaper"
"If all of the members of usenet chipped in enough to give you $2.5K/
year the oil would be cheaper"

Ain't none of those things gonna happen, just like the job at the mini-
mart ain't gonna happen, so they aren't relevant to the cost
comparison.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 10:43*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

comparison.- Hide quoted text -

One can also deduct the cost of a gym membership to get the same
physical conditioning cutting wood gives one. In my case (I do 10
plus cords/yr) I would probably be grossly overweight or dead without
the excercise I get. I can't stand to 'excercise for the sake of
excercise' Got a treadmill, stationary bike, tread climber and
couldn't stand the boredom of using any of them.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 10:23*am, Red wrote:
On May 18, 11:32*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On May 18, 11:37*am, wrote:

[...]

Red- Hide quoted text -

Same here. 76 heat almost 100% with wood. I have a TroyBilt splitter
but it only gets used ont he knotty/tough stuff. Got around 40 cords
of Black Locust cut/split/stacked and still cutting B Locust whenever
I can. That stuff doesn't rot. This year I am burning stuff I cut
back in either 93 or 96 (can't recall which) and even the stuff in
direct contact with the ground has only a bit of surface detioration
on the 'dirt' side.

Current project is 7 big B Locust to be removed from a Farmers
farmstead. That should take me a couple months at the speed I work
any more.

Harry K

Question- Wood bees and firewood cshenk Home Repair 7 April 28th 08 05:05 PM
firewood question [email protected] Woodworking 15 September 19th 07 05:29 AM
Splitting Question MarkS Woodworking 8 July 13th 07 02:35 AM
Firewood drying question Ook Home Repair 6 September 5th 06 05:53 PM
Firewood question--Holly Mark Witczak Home Repair 6 October 6th 03 08:36 PM