Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Temperature

I don't get it. When I'm running the oil boiler I am comfortable between
75 and 76 degrees. When I'm burning the wood boiler I'm comfortable
between 79 and 80 degrees. Same thermometer, same room.

--
You don't have to be stupid to know stupid when you see it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2011 6:58 PM, LSMFT wrote:
I don't get it. When I'm running the oil boiler I am comfortable between
75 and 76 degrees. When I'm burning the wood boiler I'm comfortable
between 79 and 80 degrees. Same thermometer, same room.

Humidifier on furnace?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
LSMFT wrote:
I don't get it. When I'm running the oil boiler I am comfortable between
75 and 76 degrees. When I'm burning the wood boiler I'm comfortable
between 79 and 80 degrees. Same thermometer, same room.

--
You don't have to be stupid to know stupid when you see it.

Perhaps there is a humidity difference running the oil boiler compared to
the wood burner, though I have no ideas on why they might differ.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:
I don't get it. When I'm running the oil boiler I am comfortable between
75 and 76 degrees. When I'm burning the wood boiler I'm comfortable
between 79 and 80 degrees. Same thermometer, same room.

Hi,Sounds like your room is way too dry. If there is no humidication,
how about installing a humidifier? Too much dryness is bad for your
health and even bad for wooden funiture.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 17 May 2011 18:58:39 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

I don't get it. When I'm running the oil boiler I am comfortable between
75 and 76 degrees. When I'm burning the wood boiler I'm comfortable
between 79 and 80 degrees. Same thermometer, same room.

When I'm inside, I'm comfortable if it's 66 or over, probably 65 too.

When I'm outside, I'm comforable with anything over 50. With just a
shirt and no t-shirt

Life's a puzzlement, grasshopper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

On Tue, 17 May 2011 18:58:39 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

I don't get it. When I'm running the oil boiler I am comfortable between
75 and 76 degrees. When I'm burning the wood boiler I'm comfortable
between 79 and 80 degrees. Same thermometer, same room.

When I'm inside, I'm comfortable if it's 66 or over, probably 65 too.

When I'm outside, I'm comforable with anything over 50. With just a
shirt and no t-shirt

So you're comfortable when it's 114?

Life's a puzzlement, grasshopper.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 17 May 2011 20:14:31 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

On Tue, 17 May 2011 18:58:39 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

I don't get it. When I'm running the oil boiler I am comfortable between
75 and 76 degrees. When I'm burning the wood boiler I'm comfortable
between 79 and 80 degrees. Same thermometer, same room.

When I'm inside, I'm comfortable if it's 66 or over, probably 65 too.

When I'm outside, I'm comforable with anything over 50. With just a
shirt and no t-shirt

So you're comfortable when it's 114?

Good question!

Wax on, wax off.

Life's a puzzlement, grasshopper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2011 8:30 PM, LSMFT wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 5/17/2011 6:58 PM, LSMFT wrote:
I don't get it. When I'm running the oil boiler I am comfortable between
75 and 76 degrees. When I'm burning the wood boiler I'm comfortable
between 79 and 80 degrees. Same thermometer, same room.

Humidifier on furnace?

No humidifier. The only difference is the oil is on/hot, off/cold and
the wood is steady all the time. Also the basement only gets to 62 with
oil heat and 75 with wood heat (floors are warmer).

Could be minor difference as to how your feet feel but humidity is
always suspect. I have a humidifier and feel comfortable at
temperatures 10 degrees below yours.

There is also a matter of getting bursts of heat out of furnace.
My wife thinks our new furnace does not heat as well but the temperature
is the same but before we would get a burst of heat out of the vent and
I guess it made her feel that old furnace was warmer.
I've heard this complaint about other heaters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

When I'm inside, I'm comfortable if it's 66 or over, probably 65 too.

When I'm outside, I'm comforable with anything over 50. With just a
shirt and no t-shirt

When you are outside you are more active than when you are inside. Your CNS
is also more active because you are not in the safe confines of your own
home, so your metabolism is higher.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 6:58*pm, LSMFT wrote:
I don't get it. When I'm running the oil boiler I am comfortable between
75 and 76 degrees. When I'm burning the wood boiler I'm comfortable
between 79 and 80 degrees. Same thermometer, same room.

--
You don't have to be stupid to know stupid when you see it.

three factors effect your comfort besides temperature..

humidity

air flow velocity i.e. drafts

radiant heating/cooling

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 11:58*pm, LSMFT wrote:
I don't get it. When I'm running the oil boiler I am comfortable between
75 and 76 degrees. When I'm burning the wood boiler I'm comfortable
between 79 and 80 degrees. Same thermometer, same room.

--
You don't have to be stupid to know stupid when you see it.

Humidity or difference between radiant heat and air temperature.
Radiant heat is more comfortable than simple conduction/air
temperature.

Also. you feel warmer if you feet are warm, ie the floor is warmer.

Air ingress/draughts (for combustion)? too can lead to discomfort.

Proximity of "cold bodies" eg windows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 5:58*pm, LSMFT wrote:
I don't get it. When I'm running the oil boiler I am comfortable between
75 and 76 degrees. When I'm burning the wood boiler I'm comfortable
between 79 and 80 degrees. Same thermometer, same room.

--
You don't have to be stupid to know stupid when you see it.

DO both boilers feed the same actual heating mechanism, ie the same
radiators, or are there two separate heating plants?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote in message
I don't get it. When I'm running the oil boiler I am comfortable
between 75 and 76 degrees. When I'm burning the wood boiler I'm
comfortable between 79 and 80 degrees. Same thermometer, same room.

Put a thermometer near the floor and another high up. Heat rises.
Maybe there is a difference down low? Maybe a circulation fan would
help? Maybe a difference in circulation of the heat?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
LSMFT typed:
I don't get it. When I'm running the oil boiler I am
comfortable between 75 and 76 degrees. When I'm burning
the wood boiler I'm comfortable between 79 and 80
degrees. Same thermometer, same room.

Strictly a case of humidity & effective temperatures due to humidity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On May 17, 6:58*pm, LSMFT wrote:
I don't get it. When I'm running the oil boiler I am comfortable between
75 and 76 degrees. When I'm burning the wood boiler I'm comfortable
between 79 and 80 degrees. Same thermometer, same room.

--
You don't have to be stupid to know stupid when you see it.

How fast is the air moving?

hot tub temperature Jud McCranie Home Repair 59 February 1st 14 03:09 PM
Temperature watchec Woodworking 0 April 26th 08 12:54 PM
GE XL44 Gas Range Temperature Drift...Inconsistent Temperature Scooter Home Repair 0 November 20th 06 01:53 AM
ice dams - attic temperature & outside temperature - how close is close enough Bobo Home Ownership 1 February 4th 06 10:10 PM
Temperature Michael Electronics 1 August 8th 05 12:20 PM