DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Grass growing on the mound septic? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/323420-re-grass-growing-mound-septic.html)

[email protected][_2_] May 17th 11 07:23 PM

Grass growing on the mound septic?

On May 17, 1:40*pm, Red Green wrote:
"Joe J" wrote :

Are there any reasons besides looks, to mow the grass growing on a mound
septic system?

It looks like ****? :-)

You want evaporation. Taller grass will shade the soil and reduce
evaporation to some extent. Can't quantify significance.

One would also think that grass growing two feet tall will take
up more moisture from the ground than grass that is mowed
to 3". But I think all that is a nit. The path of the septic leach
field should be down, not going up. So, I'd say letting the
grass grow doesn't make any difference to the septic
system.

Robert Neville May 18th 11 04:39 AM

" wrote:

The path of the septic leach field should be down, not going up.

If it's traditional field, I agree. If it's one of the newer advanced treatment
fields, I disagree. They lay the spider pipe in those systems fairly close to
the top of the mound. Ours was quite damp until the grass grew in over the first
summer. And as one of the reasons we chose this location was specifically to get
away from ground maintenance. There's no way I'm going to do any mowing!