Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grass growing on the mound septic?

Are there any reasons besides looks, to mow the grass growing on a mound
septic system? 2.5 acres and it's all grass and I would just like to let
some of it grow wild, maybe throw out a few thousand wildflower seeds and
cut in some walking paths and let a lot of the rest of the grass just grow,
including what's on the mound. Any negatives to not cutting the grass on
the mound?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe J" wrote in :

Are there any reasons besides looks, to mow the grass growing on a mound
septic system?

It looks like ****? :-)

You want evaporation. Taller grass will shade the soil and reduce
evaporation to some extent. Can't quantify significance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2011 1:21 PM, Joe J wrote:
Are there any reasons besides looks, to mow the grass growing on a mound
septic system? 2.5 acres and it's all grass and I would just like to let
some of it grow wild, maybe throw out a few thousand wildflower seeds
and cut in some walking paths and let a lot of the rest of the grass
just grow, including what's on the mound. Any negatives to not cutting
the grass on the mound?

I cut grass over mine. Purpose is evaporation. Your system can't cover
a full 2.5 acres. Does not make sense to be that big.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 1:40*pm, Red Green wrote:
"Joe J" wrote :

Are there any reasons besides looks, to mow the grass growing on a mound
septic system?

It looks like ****? :-)

You want evaporation. Taller grass will shade the soil and reduce
evaporation to some extent. Can't quantify significance.

"It looks like ****?"

No, no...that's *inside* the septic system. He's taking about the
*outside*.

;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 May 2011 17:40:36 GMT, Red Green
wrote Re Grass growing on the mound septic?:

You want evaporation. Taller grass will shade the soil and reduce
evaporation to some extent.

No it won't. The taller grass will increase movement of moisture from
the mound to the air due to the taller grass providing more surface
area for transpiration.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe J" wrote :

Are there any reasons besides looks, to mow the grass growing on a mound
septic system?

It looks like ****? :-)

You want evaporation. Taller grass will shade the soil and reduce
evaporation to some extent. Can't quantify significance.

"It looks like ****?"

No, no...that's *inside* the septic system. He's taking about the
*outside*.

;-)

"The grass is always greener over the septic tank". Erma Bombeck
(02/21/1927-04/22/1996).

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Caesar Romano wrote the following:
On Tue, 17 May 2011 17:40:36 GMT, Red Green
wrote Re Grass growing on the mound septic?:

You want evaporation. Taller grass will shade the soil and reduce
evaporation to some extent.

No it won't. The taller grass will increase movement of moisture from
the mound to the air due to the taller grass providing more surface
area for transpiration.

I think he meant the moisture in the ground, which your response has
agreed with.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote the following:
On 5/17/2011 1:21 PM, Joe J wrote:
Are there any reasons besides looks, to mow the grass growing on a mound
septic system? 2.5 acres and it's all grass and I would just like to let
some of it grow wild, maybe throw out a few thousand wildflower seeds
and cut in some walking paths and let a lot of the rest of the grass
just grow, including what's on the mound. Any negatives to not cutting
the grass on the mound?

I cut grass over mine. Purpose is evaporation. Your system can't
cover a full 2.5 acres. Does not make sense to be that big.

He's not talking about the fields. I have less than an acre and my
fields are 400' long (4 at 100' each).
The field size is determined by the number of bedrooms, not bathrooms as
you may assume.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe J wrote:
Are there any reasons besides looks, to mow the grass growing on a mound
septic system? 2.5 acres and it's all grass and I would just like to let
some of it grow wild, maybe throw out a few thousand wildflower seeds
and cut in some walking paths and let a lot of the rest of the grass
just grow, including what's on the mound. Any negatives to not cutting
the grass on the mound?

No reason. Raspberries grow real well in drainage fields and cesspools.
They love sewerage black water.

--
You don't have to be stupid to know stupid when you see it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2011 5:49 PM, willshak wrote:
Frank wrote the following:
On 5/17/2011 1:21 PM, Joe J wrote:
Are there any reasons besides looks, to mow the grass growing on a mound
septic system? 2.5 acres and it's all grass and I would just like to let
some of it grow wild, maybe throw out a few thousand wildflower seeds
and cut in some walking paths and let a lot of the rest of the grass
just grow, including what's on the mound. Any negatives to not cutting
the grass on the mound?

I cut grass over mine. Purpose is evaporation. Your system can't cover
a full 2.5 acres. Does not make sense to be that big.

He's not talking about the fields. I have less than an acre and my
fields are 400' long (4 at 100' each).
The field size is determined by the number of bedrooms, not bathrooms as
you may assume.

Yes. There are basically two kinds of fields, seepage, and evaporation
or a combination of the two. The evaporation fields are larger or with
more surface area. Around here, perc test may determine how many
bedrooms you are allowed and now alternate fields are also required.
The county would like to push everyone into being hooked up to the sewer
lines.

OP says he has 2.5 acres and I guess he could pick any part to grow
however he wants. My neighbors yard grows completely wild and I've seen
his septic up. OK now but was a problem when kids and in-laws lived
there. Neighbor across street got by with a cesspool as there was just
him and his wife but when a family with kids moved in they elected to
tap into the sewer line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2011 1:21 PM, Joe J wrote:
Are there any reasons besides looks, to mow the grass growing on a mound
septic system? 2.5 acres and it's all grass and I would just like to let
some of it grow wild, maybe throw out a few thousand wildflower seeds
and cut in some walking paths and let a lot of the rest of the grass
just grow, including what's on the mound. Any negatives to not cutting
the grass on the mound?

Depends. How 'civilized' is the township or whatever you live in? Around
here, if it can be seen from the road or the neighbors, and somebody
bitches, you can get a civil-infraction 'noxious weeds' ticket.

Yer preaching to the choir about high grass, though. Maybe you can get
local college to put in plugs of whatever the local version of
non-invasive prairie grass and field plants is. Call it a botanical
restoration site or something. If I had had the money to get acres
instead of this damn subdivision lot, the only areas I would mow would
be a fire break around the house/pole barn, and stripes alongside the
driveway and out where it meets the hardtop road, to ensure drainage and
visibility of oncoming traffic and animals that I would otherwise run over.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote the following:
On 5/17/2011 1:21 PM, Joe J wrote:
[...]

Yes, if sewer lines are installed that could service your house, you may
be charged, even if you elect not to hook up.
I live in a rural area, and there are no sewer lines within miles of me.
As I remember (in 1984), the local law was 100' per bedroom. I only have
3 bedrooms, but the GC put in 400' of fields.
Here, it costs around $400 to empty the septic tank. I also have a dry
well for gray water (sinks, clothes and dish washers, and showers) which
costs about the same.
I also run off a 325' deep well, so I take the water out of the ground
in one place and return it to the ground in another place. I only pay
for the electricity for the pump. Fuel Oil and Propane are delivered by
trucks. The only company utilities I have come in from utility poles,
like electricity, telephone and cable TV/Internet, the last only
available after 1984 when I had the house built.

OP says he has 2.5 acres and I guess he could pick any part to grow
however he wants. My neighbors yard grows completely wild and I've
seen his septic up. OK now but was a problem when kids and in-laws
lived there. Neighbor across street got by with a cesspool as there
was just him and his wife but when a family with kids moved in they
elected to tap into the sewer line.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote the following:
On 5/17/2011 1:21 PM, Joe J wrote:
[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

long term it might be a good idea to cut the grass at least once a
year.

otherwise opportunistic trees may begin growing and their roots cause
drainage troubles long term./

no doubt this question should be answered by whoever services pumps
the OPs septic tank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote the following:
On Tue, 17 May 2011 17:41:17 -0400, willshak
wrote:

"The grass is always greener over the septic tank". Erma Bombeck
(02/21/1927-04/22/1996).

Just a few days ago I was talking with a friend about the grass being
greener and use that to help locate the septic tank.

In his usual response: "I'm color blind." He catches me all the time.
Once I told him to turn at the red car. "This car?" And he grins.
Freaks me out at red lights G

( I think he a red/red color blind?)

Well, he knows that the red light is at the top, or should.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
On 5/17/2011 1:21 PM, Joe J wrote:
Are there any reasons besides looks, to mow the grass growing on a mound
septic system? 2.5 acres and it's all grass and I would just like to let
some of it grow wild, maybe throw out a few thousand wildflower seeds
and cut in some walking paths and let a lot of the rest of the grass
just grow, including what's on the mound. Any negatives to not cutting
the grass on the mound?

I cut grass over mine. Purpose is evaporation. Your system can't cover a
full 2.5 acres. Does not make sense to be that big.

No, just the system would be the dividing line from cut grass, to let grow.
It's a "standard" size mound

Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

On 5/17/2011 12:21 PM, Joe J wrote:
Are there any reasons besides looks, to mow the grass growing on a
mound septic system? 2.5 acres and it's all grass and I would just
like to let some of it grow wild, maybe throw out a few thousand
wildflower seeds and cut in some walking paths and let a lot of the
rest of the grass just grow, including what's on the mound. Any
negatives to not cutting the grass on the mound?

As someone else suggested you should cut the grass occasionally. You
don't know how deep the root systems of wild plants will go. No doubt
there will be some that will get into the field and clog the thing
up. I keep the grass cut at least 30 feet back from my septic field.

I let the area beyond that grow wild as you want. The amount and
variety of growth is quite surprising and it changes over the years. I
have no idea whats growing out there for the most part but the Aspens
are moving out there through their root systems. They will eventually
take over the wild area. I plan to keep them back at least 50 feet
from the field, more if I ever see any evidence of them coming up
close to the septic field.

LdB

OT The Mound of the Hound of the Baskervilles ARWadsworth UK diy 33 September 11th 10 10:25 PM
Mound Septic System Cost diablo Home Repair 7 April 15th 07 08:54 PM
Grass growing jIM Home Repair 16 June 17th 06 01:33 AM
Grass growing.. now what? Michael Cunningham Home Ownership 4 September 25th 04 03:05 AM
septic tank - no grass!! B&H Home Repair 2 July 19th 04 08:56 PM